BBC wildlife documentary on Washington wolves starts this week

devon deer

I dont think you can watch the program, once it finishes it goes on the internet via bbc iplayer, but my friend in the US tried iplayer once before and it failed to wok.
I have pasted the intro to the 2 episodes starting this week, it should be interesting, its called 'Land of the lost wolves'
Episode 1 of 2

Duration: 1 hour

At a time when wildlife is disappearing across the planet, one animal is making a comeback - the wolf.

Wolves were wiped out across much of America, with more than a million wolves estimated to have been shot, poisoned or trapped when European settlers arrived.

This enthralling series documents the return of one very special wolf pack to the snowy peaks of Washington's Cascade Mountains - the first to return to the American Northwest in 70 years

Episode 2 of 2

Duration: 1 hour

After spending four weeks camping out in the bitterly cold Cascade Mountains, wildlife cameraman Gordon Buchanan and a team of wolf experts discover that most of the pack have been killed by locals who live by the motto "shoot, shovel and shut up". But have any of the pack escaped unharmed? As the team chase exciting new leads, there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon.

....... that all of the wolves in the newly established pack have indeed met an untimely end due to the villianous actions of the evil native populace." Thought I'd finish out the tease line in an appropriate manner for you Devon. :)

Thanks Gerald, you are not far off the mark.
The documentary is in relation to a wolf pack that is populating the mountain range in Washington called the Cascade range, and the pack is called the 'lookout pack' consisting of 10 wolves, and god willing these will spread eventually to re-populate the west side of America all the way to New Mexico. They should do well, and as they are the top predator they will bring down the deer numbers to a sustainable level, just as the wolves did when they were re-introduced into Yellowstone and the Elk were destroying the eco system until brought back down to a sensible level. But wait, oh no, a skinned wolf has been found, minus its legs and head as well, in fact 5 have disappeared of the original pioneer pack of 10. What could have caused this disaster in a state where the wolf is protected? Well it soon becomes apparent that some local's believe a 'shoot. shovel, shudup' policy is in force.
However, good news, a new pioneering pack is providing reinforcements from Canada and are on their way. Even more good news, 100 miles south in the Cascades a new sighting! Stay tuned for the next and final episode tomorrow night, hopefully it will bring great news!
Cheers
Richard
ps, sorry for any spelling or grammatical errors as i have just got in from the pub!!! :p

Well i watched it tonight, if you believe what you see in the program the wolves are on their way from Canada and you aint gonna stop em.
Especially if you rely on the guy in the program, gets out of his truck with biologist in tow, he walks randomly from the road into the wood wearing his standard work bib and braces and AR15, demonstrates a rabbit in distress call to the biologist, quickly raises his rifle, i see a wolf! the biologist (and about 5 million other Brits) can clearly see it is deer,what a joke.

The expert interviewed through both nights was Doug Smith.

Its a pity you cant watch it (unless any of you downloaded iplayer whilst visiting the UK) it would get your backs right up.

But still you will all have a healthier, stronger elk herd after the wolves have eaten all the weak animals and everyone will live happily ever after.

Cheers

Richard

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back