Basemap vs onx

Pa Bowhunter

The other day I ran across an ad for basemap app

After looking into a bit it seem much like onx with a few extra layers but also a few layers not available thst are on onx such as the roadless

The basemap is a yearly fee of 30 buck for all 50 states compared to 100

I am a long time one guy but do anyone have any info on this new mapping app pros and cons?

I have no experience but i am interested. I use OnX for one state and I would like just one other. It would be cheaper to buy Basecamp than to pick up the second state with OnX. So, I just might.

I have hunt stand and as well im not a huge fan but it dose work
Im with brentD as well I can get all 50 for 30 but still goun keep onx as well but now don't have to spend the extra money

Basemaps is way better then onx. Basemaps has a couple features that onx don't that i like,is a lot more user friendly and is a lot cheaper.
After using onx for a couple years on hunts out west,i decided to see how accurate they were by checking out some property lines that land join me around my home.I lost a lot of confidence in them after finding they had three of the properties wrong.Two of them they had the property lines wrong,the one was off a couple hundred feet,the other one was 10 acres my brother owns,they had the property owner name wrong on that one.

elkunts, what are those features that you like that OnX doesn't have? What state are you from where OnX isn't so accurate?

I'm running both side-by-side right now. Both have their respective pros and cons. BM seems to have a lot of bang for the buck.

I've found several private parcels in Colorado that were clearly plotting incorrectly in On X. An email to the county with the parcel ID verified that the county data were incorrect. The county was appreciative and put the parcels in que to correct.

If you've got parcels plotting incorrectly in either, on x or bm, you might check how they plot on the county assessor page.

If you only download a few offline maps for hunting, basemap will work OK. If you download your entire Elk and Antelope units, not so much. All onX offline maps are visible, making it much easier to travel and "scout" as you go. Basemap requires you pick each offline map individually that you want to be active. Not an easy chore when you have 60+ maps downloaded. Other than that, they're pretty much the same but different. Onx has been simplified for lack of a better phrase so the tech challenged can use it; you don't get multiple maps to choose from, you can't add custom map types, stuff like that.

I played around with Basemap last year. I didn't do a true side by side with OnX, but as I've used OnX for forever and I didn't plan on a review, I didn't see the need.

Basemap:
-The 3D Earth feature is very cool, but only on iOS, which is dumb.
-Very comparable with OnX on features: unit boundaries, ownership, topo, sattelite
-Unit info pops up in screen. This is a really nice feature. Its built into the app and you don't have to follow a link like OnX.
-Has layers not of hunting nature that OnX Doesnt: flood zones,
-Screen view is less cluttered but access to layers and tools seems clunky
-GPS signal is on the screen so you can see immediately how its performgin.
-Top bar of screen is black so you can easily see elevation. In OnX the map behind can make it hard to view.
-Live sharing of location with friends is nice, but potentially problematic in Montana where that could be viewed as electronic comm.
-info screens that pop up are better layed out than Onx, but still has same info.
-$29.99/ yr ($9.99 more if you want the desktop version.)
-includes all the states.
-Gohunt similar sorting feature, could be nice.

OnX:
-many more layers that Basemap doesnt: roadless, RMEF,NWTF, nautical charts, batymetry, river stage,
-Instant weather conditions on screen is nice.
-Can import data; can't do that with Basemap.
-$99.99/yr for all the states. (discount codes abound, that drop that to $80).
-Desktop is included.

If I were just starting out, I would still go with OnX for hunting. Most will be porting over old data, so being able to do that is important. There are more usable layers with OnX. It seems that OnX is adding more to the app and working hard to bring new content. I can't say the same for Basemap, but haven't been following it either. I also didn't see any accuracy issues with either.

@elkhunts: your one post robs your comment of credibility and smacks of smear. Clerical issues abound in beuraucy, and are fixed as they are found.

BM may have updated a bit. It now has import/export functionality (KML, KMZ, GPX) and and an extensive library of layers (CPW NDIS habitat layers, for example).

Both mapping products provide a wealth of information for the money they charge, imo.

I have been using onx for two years and basemaps about a year now and will continue to experiment with both for awhile yet.For me basemaps is way easier to navigate.I have alot of waypoints on onx so will continue to use that at this time yet,although i can see myself switching completely to basemaps in the future.I will continue to use the chips that onx has for the gps units.I could never pull up my offline maps with onx, even after numerous ph calls and doing exactly what they told me.Very frustrating when you're in the backcountry and depending on it.I fell onx is way overpriced.
The properties mentioned above have not had any changes in over 10 years.just a word of caution when relying completely on that for property lines

BrentD: I'm in Pa. The features i like with basemaps are ,i can take a picture of my waypoint and store that pic with the waypoint
And i can see property lines without paying,just not property owner names.
And the most obvious is price $29.99 vs $99.99

406Life: Not smearing anybody, just stating honest opinions and facts.I guess if you want to call me a fake because i only have one post thats up to you. At some point you only had one post to.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back