Barr huntin’ time again near Steamboat Springs CO

danadrums

Well, it’s that time again: bear hunting. I’ve had a tag for the last three years and have not been able to go, mostly due to work. Not this year: I have my tag and I’m going. I’ve been doing my homework to narrow down my hunt area, but being a rookie bear hunter, I will take any tips I can get.
Here’s what I have garnered: riparian areas, look for berries, pinon pine,gambel oak (apparently not plentiful around Steamboat Springs area), glass glass glass.
Has anyone hunted bears in this area? The tag is good for 10 different GMUs, so I really need to narrow the hunt area down. I know there are lots of bears in the area from talking to the Colorado Parks office in Steamboat Springs. I would rather be farther out in the bush and not closer to town.
From my e-scouting I’m favoring the north part of GMU161.
Any ideas? I’ve been to Steamboat a few times, but I’m not all that familiar with the area.
Have boots and willing to use them.
Also, any pics would be cool.

Thanks!
— Dana

In general, the habitat and populations are better on the west side of the Park Range. I see bears, scat and cut tracks every year when I'm hunting those units during 1st season. It feels like there's a bear in every drainage.

Get high and glass. You should be able to find some.

First year bear hunter myself so take my comment with a grain of salt. I will be in a different area but from what I can tell just look at the lower elevation areas particularly with habitat that you have already pointed out. The area I will be I suspect the bears will be in thick riparian and gambel oak brush so I do not plan on a significant amount of glassing. What I mean by that is I will most likely be finding an area with a lot of scat and activity, or a clear watering hole, and finding a blind to sit in all day long. Hope you get into a bear and more importantly have a lot of fun.

I will be going only a few days, Sept. 6th to the 10th. I plan on sharing my hunt afterwards, would love to hear about your adventure as well so I will keep an eye out on the forum.

Best of luck!

2018 I had 2 in person encounters while ML elk hunting just outside of Steamboat. Both were in oak brush that was about 5-6’ tall and 1 must have been sleeping next to the trail because we scared each other and it stood up about 4-5 yards off the trail as I stopped to see what it was. I did have a Bear tear up my tent while I was hauling meat out. I would say find the oaks that are holding acorns and get up high near it to glass. I had Bear tracks in my boot tracks about 2 hours after I went thru also in the oak brush.

Thanks for the responses.
I must have read wrong; I thought there wasn’t a lot of oak brush around the Steamboat area.
That was just based off of distribution maps I saw online. Now I know to expect to see some.
Nothing beats on-the-ground intel.
Flatlandhunter, I had a similar experience a few years ago while deer hunting in GMU 181: fresh track right across where I had walked an hour before. Kinda cool, I thought.

I will definitely post hunt results after I get back. Plan on going maybe week of Labor Day.

Thanks again.
—Dana

Can't really help, but planning on an overnight backpack trip in 161 this weekend. I'll be bringing the binocs and if I see something I'll report back.

Well, didn’t get a bear. Turns out the area I had picked out in my escouting wasn’t exactly Bear Mecca. Found this out on the third day. I did talk to a guy the last day who hunts the area a lot and he gave me some great pointers, which was pretty cool. So, some good exercise, great pics, and good info for next year’s hunt. Already looking forward to it!

—Dana

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back