Barnes TTSX

Neither of my 375s like them nor does my 338 Jarrett. In part because I just wasn’t willing to screw around too much given the recoil. Every thing else I‘ve shot them in down to 243 has been effective accuracy wise and all but the 243 have killed elk at moderate ranges. My 06 is a death ray with 150gr ttsx
My model 70 .375 H&H likes the old Barnes 235gr. TSXBT. Discontinued now.

Outstanding in everything I shoot.
BUT!
Take their recommendations on how far from the lands. They Like to jump and love speed...
I find seating depth 0.050" from the lands is a good starting point.
In my .270 rifles, the best precision is typically not at maximum speed, but around 2950fps.

Another consideration is the Barnes 129gr LRX.

I find seating depth 0.050" from the lands is a good starting point.
In my .270 rifles, the best precision is typically not at maximum speed, but around 2950fps.

Another consideration is the Barnes 129gr LRX.
Saw one box yesterday for $42 plus tax. There were various .30 cal bullets available from 150 - IIRC 180 grains. I likely won't be checking back for a couple weeks. Lots of 100 grain .25 cal tho.

I kinda lost faith in my .270 when hunting wild boar, many huge, on barley ranches. Several times a 130 lead core bullet literally bounced off the thick cartilaginous shoulder plate. The boar would flop down, then get up and run way.

I upgraded my caliber. I actually shot a boar I had shot with the .270 and saw that mark where the .270 had bounced off. It was an angling shot.

Anyway, a few years later I had switched to Barnes bullets and was having such great success, I loaded my 270 with the 140 grain and had another go at the boar.

The season was year round and I had a depredation permit so I was shooting lots of them.

The .270 became a real killer, even if I shot through the cartilaginous shoulder plate. A total turnaround for the .270.

I have used both the 130 and 140 grain bullets.

In Utah used to hunt a private ranch for cow elk, also dep permit hunts. I used the 130 grain in my .270 and the elk dropped like a stone with a 130 through the lungs.

Were I hunting bull elk I probably would use the 140 grain bullet. The 130 grain bullets were a bit more accurate however. It was a toss up.

On a side note, I used to shoot the 180 grain Barnes original round nosed bullet in my .270. It is lead core and I have long ago gone no-lead. It was a ferocious killer.

In retrospect, the Barnes TSX and TTSX kill just as well.

I received my 95 gr .277 ttsx and loaded some up in 270 win with IMR 4350. Its not listed in the Barnes Load data so I had to check other sources but it worked pretty well.
Starline multi fired brass. Fed 210M COAL 3.250 WBY vanguard 24"
58gr 4350 3371 avg 24 esd
59gr 4350 3416 avg 12 esd
both sub moa 200 yds
No pressure signs didnt push it any faster. Did not try other powders as this is what I have a quantity of. This was in my gun. You may get different results. Start low and work up. It would definitely work on deer to 3-400.

The thing I see about these mono's is the lower bc's. If you run ballistics calculations on these versus heavier higher bc bullets moving slower, you usually see the heavier better bc bullets keeping above the 1000ft lb mark farther out. Not a really huge difference in drop either. Now I have no plans to shoot things past 400 so maybe its a mute point but it does make one wonder. I understand some people have no choice in what kind of bullet they shoot and others have simply decided to switch to no lead. Just an observation.

Last edited:
What are the thoughts on these? Thinking about loading some 130 grainers in a 270 for all around loads.
Perfect combination, IMHO. I've taken a lot of big game with that pairing, before I was stupid and sold a great rifle. Makes me miss my .270 :cry:

I don't use monolithic bullet's. Not because I think they won't work but simply can't afford to shoot them. Something I do think about them is they won't blow up on an animal. In a high velocity cartridge that's something I'd worry about. And If I remember right, I would choose the TTSX over the TSX. This might be wrong but the TSX doesn't have a plastic tip does it and the TTSX does? Without that tip, the bullet is a hollow point and something I found with HPO's years ago. Two things can happen with them, they can open or they can close up the tip on impact. In a hunting bullet I'd want to insure the bullet opened. Winchester sell's or sold a factory load with monolithic bullet's and in their add they mention the plastic tip and that it help's insure the bullet expands. That's a good point no matter who makes the bullet. Don't think for one minute a bullet that doesn't open won't kill, it will. But I believe a bullet that open properly will generally travel a straighter line. Those HP's I saw close up also bent a bit, has to throw the track off some. Bell quit using 6.5's on elephantin Africa as the long 6.5 bullet's he claimed were bending and not penetrating straight through. So while I'd say the bullet your looking at is fine if it doesn't have the plastic tip, I'd find one that did.

The photo of the hammer bullet's is the first time I've seen them. I notice the groves. The origional TSX didn't have them and they had complaint's about copper fouling. The groves they later added were supposed to stop that. If so, I suspect those Hammer groves may be even better but only because it looks like the bearing surface between then is shorter. Big advantage I see to the Hammer's right now is it seems you can actually get them. For killing game I'm not sure one monolithic bullet has an advantage over another if it goes in straight and pernitrates. But bullet's you can buy certainly out preform bullet's you can't buy!

You probably already realise it but it is possible that yoiur rifle will like one brand over another. if what you want simply won't shoot, try another brand before quitting on the type!

I think a Hornady SST is likely to do more meat damage than a monolithic bullet of like weight and at comparable velocity. Never used a SST, but comments from people who have just leads me to want to avoid them. As far as cost goes, work up a load for the monolithics, and use those for hunting and use the cheaper bullets for out of season practice even if they don't group the best.

Neither of my 375s like them nor does my 338 Jarrett. In part because I just wasn’t willing to screw around too much given the recoil. Every thing else I‘ve shot them in down to 243 has been effective accuracy wise and all but the 243 have killed elk at moderate ranges. My 06 is a death ray with 150gr ttsx
do you have any h1000 load data for 250 grain bullets in the 338jarrett?

do you have any h1000 load data for 250 grain bullets in the 338jarrett?
I do but I am away from home for a couple of weeks. I don’t want to guess but it was 1/2 MOA. I’ll look at my pics tonight, might have something on my phone.

Velocity as I recall was 2960 and I was getting some flattened primers, my rifle has some free bore as you can see from a 3.75 length. Approach with caution.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back