Caribou Gear

Barnes TTSX BT .308 win 150 gr load

Fishtacos

The Barnes VOR-TX 308 Winchester 150 Grain TTSX polymer tipped spitzer boat tail (lead-free) is a round that my .308 really likes. I called Barnes for their load data to replicate it, but their load information is proprietary.

Because i've had such great performance with it out of my rifle, I'm looking forward to handloading it. I'd like to start out with a handload that is as close as possible to the factory VOR-TX load. The powder and primers are two variables I don't know. The load data is also a mystery for me. I was told the powder is a non canister powder, so i'm not going to be able to get it. I haven't loaded non lead before, but the 150gr im assuming will give me plenty of room in the casing for powder.

How would you all go about trying to replicate a load you like? If I can get settled on a powder and a primer, I should be able to figure out some safe load tolerances based on the min/max barnes shared with me.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

Well seating depth will be easy to match. Just measure the factory and match.

Powder and primer you'll just have to test I would imagine.

I'd start with maybe varget. Build three at the lowest powder level, then increase in steps to the max. Go to the range and test. If it does well there you go.

If it doesn't shoot well, try the next powder. Rinse and repeat.

Also, you could just buy a stash of the factory ammo, but I know that doesn't help with the desire to hand load.

I’ve reloaded a lot of 308. Used a lot of powders, From Benchmark to RL 17. 8208 XBR has become my powder of choice. From 125 to 180, it’s the most accurate in my rifles. It meters really well and is the least temp sensitive I’ve tried.
Barnes list Varget as their most accurate. I’d be happy with either.

Last edited:
The Barnes VOR-TX 308 Winchester 150 Grain TTSX polymer tipped spitzer boat tail (lead-free) is a round that my .308 really likes. I called Barnes for their load data to replicate it, but their load information is proprietary.

Because i've had such great performance with it out of my rifle, I'm looking forward to handloading it. I'd like to start out with a handload that is as close as possible to the factory VOR-TX load. The powder and primers are two variables I don't know. The load data is also a mystery for me. I was told the powder is a non canister powder, so i'm not going to be able to get it. I haven't loaded non lead before, but the 150gr im assuming will give me plenty of room in the casing for powder.

How would you all go about trying to replicate a load you like? If I can get settled on a powder and a primer, I should be able to figure out some safe load tolerances based on the min/max barnes shared with me.

Any advice is appreciated - thanks!

FWIW, my Tikka T3X .308 shot that factory ammo at about 0.95 MOA and my hand loads based on the same bullet shoot 0.60 MOA. The handload is based on Varget, CCI 200 primers and Nosler brass. I measured my barrel’s COL and loaded 0.050” off the lands per Barnes instructions. In your case I would match the COAL of the factory ones your gun seems to like.

Also, chrono the muzzle velocity of the VorTX you like (not the fps on the box). Some (with more expertise than I) suggest that matching velocity allows you to easily switch between powders. See if you can get a handload using either Varget or H4350 to match that velocity- it may match your experience with factory.

Last edited:
The TTSX 150 and IMR 4064 are my go to round for my Tikka .308. When working up new loads, I like to start with powders that I already have for other firearms. That helps keep my powder supply around the house to a minimum.

I load my .308 using Barnes 150 gr. TTSX bullets and IMR 4350 or IMR 4064 using Remington brass. It's what my rifle shoots best.

I’d start with a powder that would get me to the velocity, or as close as possible, to the factory offering and go from there.

I powder I tend to get very good results in my .308 is H4895. I generally start with that when trying a new bullet.

Also, I've found the Barnes website pretty informative on load data. Here's what they have published for .308. Seems a little odd though, they're using a test barrel with a 1:12 twist.

Attachments

• 308WinchesterForWeb.pdf
    326.9 KB · Views: 10
And primers are mighty scarce lately, but I generally have found F210Ms to be most consistent in .308. I use them in most cartridges actually, but have found that CCIs do better in some loads (in .270 and 7-08).

8208XBR and IMR 4064 have done best for me in the 308 with Barnes. I use F210M primers.

Thank you all for all the great replies- I've got a good idea of what to do here. Will give a few of these a go subject to availability, unfortunately.

This was all really helpful

It’s hard to find a 308 that doesn’t like varget or RL15, as for charges you’re going to have to experiment a little because as it was mentioned earlier about going 50 of the lands will depend on your particular rifle and since the lead free bullets are longer than traditional ones you may find that your powder capacity may differ from the manual

I’ve been shooting the 150 gr TTSX for the last 10 years in two different 308’s. My original load was Nosler brass and BLC-2 but have since been using Varget in Lapua brass. CCI standard primers in both. They’re pretty easy to please, and seating depth varied in both rifles. In one I was limited to the confines of the magazine box, but in the other I‘m able to run them .050“ off the lands.

FWIW, my Tikka T3X .308 shot that factory ammo at about 0.95 MOA and my hand loads based on the same bullet shoot 0.60 MOA. The handload is based on Varget, CCI 200 primers and Nosler brass. I measured my barrel’s COL and loaded 0.050” off the lands per Barnes instructions. In your case I would match the COAL of the factory ones your gun seems to like.
As a bit of an update, it took me until now to get my hands on some Varget. It has been extremely difficult to source, but a lot of folks in this thread (thank you) mentioned Varget worked well for you, and it's what Barnes suggested to me when I called them. Barnes told me min 41.7 and max 46.3. How many grains did you find resulted in the 0.60 MOA handload that works with your Tikka T3X? I'll of course work up to the max, but will be making a selection of different loads to find what works best for me, which i'm assuming and hoping is going to be similar to the factory Barnes 150 gr TSX load.

As a bit of an update, it took me until now to get my hands on some Varget. It has been extremely difficult to source, but a lot of folks in this thread (thank you) mentioned Varget worked well for you, and it's what Barnes suggested to me when I called them. Barnes told me min 41.7 and max 46.3. How many grains did you find resulted in the 0.60 MOA handload that works with your Tikka T3X? I'll of course work up to the max, but will be making a selection of different loads to find what works best for me, which i'm assuming and hoping is going to be similar to the factory Barnes 150 gr TSX load.
Matching factory is chasing your tail. Been there and done that earlier this year with the 130g TTSX.

Varget is what we settled on but it is not what the factory uses. There is quite a bit different when you mix different powder and primer combos. Save yourself the headache and just start load development from scratch. The final load we ended with was no where near the factory specs for seating or published velocity.

Every rifle is different so asking others their loads is mostly pointless for your rifle.

Start with .2-.3 grain increments and do a velocity ladder. Once you find a node then work on seating depth in groups of 3 @.030 increments. Then verify your top contenders at 5 shot groups at 200 yards.

45.6gn in my tikka T3x 22.4" barrel 2760fps

Matching factory is chasing your tail. Been there and done that earlier this year with the 130g TTSX.
Start with .2-.3 grain increments and do a velocity ladder. Once you find a node then work on seating depth in groups of 3 @.030 increments. Then verify your top contenders at 5 shot groups at 200 yards.
This sounds good to me.

45.6gn in my tikka T3x 22.4" barrel 2760fps
Thanks, I haven't loaded Varget yet but generally the loads I've had that have been near the min for other powders have performed poorly. I may be making more variety near the top end until i get what works

This sounds good to me.

Thanks, I haven't loaded Varget yet but generally the loads I've had that have been near the min for other powders have performed poorly. I may be making more variety near the top end until i get what works
You will usually find at least 3 "nodes" between min and max, I usually see the smallest groups at the highest one. In general, a full case is better than a partially filled one for accuracy. The load I referenced above is actually "compressed" you can feel the crunch when you seat the bullet.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back