PEAX Equipment

Barnes Triple Shock 130 grain for elk?

Vidimus

Hi all. I was lucky enough to pick up a Sawtooth B tag for Idaho, trying to figure out an optimal load for my 270. First time elk hunting with rifle and I would prefer to use a 150 grain non lead bullet but the options seem very limited. Barnes Triple Shock offers a 150 grain but I'm seeing some guys say it's too long for the twist rate of my barrel, Rem 700 causing inaccuracy. Anyone experience that? Would moving to a 130 grain be sufficient for elk out to 300 yards max? New to rifle hunting elk and new to reloading, and I appreciate the expertise you guys can offer. Thanks.

I’m running 130’s in my 270. I’ve killed a couple bulls with them with great results. I just shot a big bodied bear with them the other day and anchored him in his tracks. Shot placement is key. I tried 150’s in mine and it didn’t shoot nearly as well, kimber mtn ascent for reference.

150ish range for non lead .277 most manufacturers recommend a 1 in 8" twist. If your 700 270 is like mine it'd be a 1 in 10" twist, you could try it and see - you've got plenty of time.

My brother in law shot a bull with a 130 ttsx at about 250 yards with his 270 Weatherby a few years ago. Tight behind the shoulder in one side and out the other, dead in about 40 yards.

Attachments

• A366DEBA-D70D-4642-80D4-5123E76656F5.jpeg
    A366DEBA-D70D-4642-80D4-5123E76656F5.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
150ish range for non lead .277 most manufacturers recommend a 1 in 8" twist. If your 700 270 is like mine it'd be a 1 in 10" twist, you could try it and see - you've got plenty of time.
Yeah the Barnes Triple Shock 150 grain on Midway recommends 1 in 9.5 or faster, which started me down this rabbit hole. Sounds like I should load a few and see how they fly. Thanks!

My brother in law shot a bull with a 130 ttsx at about 250 yards with his 270 Weatherby a few years ago. Tight behind the shoulder in one side and out the other, dead in about 40 yards.
Thanks, I think I'll load some up and see how they look, test then a bit. Appreciate it, and great bull!

I’m running 130’s in my 270. I’ve killed a couple bulls with them with great results. I just shot a big bodied bear with them the other day and anchored him in his tracks. Shot placement is key. I tried 150’s in mine and it didn’t shoot nearly as well, kimber mtn ascent for reference.
Encouraging to hear you guys having good experiences with 130 grain. Sounds like they'll be with a try. Thanks and congrats on the bear!

If you haven’t bought bullets already, I’ll second the suggestion to look at Hammers. Longtime Barnes shooter but I won’t go back after switching to Hammers.
I'm interested in those, will grab a box and see how they shoot. Thanks!

Everything I’ve read has said that when switching to mono metal bullets, it’s recommended to shoot a lighter grain bullet as a copper is not as dense as lead and the longer bullet can cut into powder capacity. Also, mono metal bullets retain nearly 100% of their weight and penetrate better. I haven’t shot an elk with my .270 Win yet, but the whitetails I’ve shot with 130grain Federal Trophy Coppers didn’t go very far. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot 130 coppers at elk. They also grouped very well out of my Ruger 77.

Everything I’ve read has said that when switching to mono metal bullets, it’s recommended to shoot a lighter grain bullet as a copper is not as dense as lead and the longer bullet can cut into powder capacity. Also, mono metal bullets retain nearly 100% of their weight and penetrate better. I haven’t shot an elk with my .270 Win yet, but the whitetails I’ve shot with 130grain Federal Trophy Coppers didn’t go very far. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot 130 coppers at elk. They also grouped very well out of my Ruger 77.
That's exactly what I've read as well, with regards to not needing a heavier grain bullet when using copper. The superior weight retention combined with higher velocity seem to produce good results. I think I'm going to split the difference and start out trying a 145 grain copper bullet from Hammer, if those fly well I'll be set.

That's exactly what I've read as well, with regards to not needing a heavier grain bullet when using copper. The superior weight retention combined with higher velocity seem to produce good results. I think I'm going to split the difference and start out trying a 145 grain copper bullet from Hammer, if those fly well I'll be set.

Mono bullets have a much higher terminal velocity than traditional bullets do, that’s the reasoning behind using a lighter weight bullet that it leaves the barrel faster. I don’t know what your personal effective range is but it’s very important that you are aware of what your ballistics are at your effective range and make sure the bullet has enough velocity to perform

I know an outfitter who shoots all of his deer and elk with the 85 grain TSX in his 270. He fills his freezer every year. His son uses the 110 TTSX in his 270. They both have taken cows out to 500 yards. Today's modern premium bullets are far superior to the old cup and cores. The old rules of thumb for bullet mass do not apply.

Load the 130 with confidence if it shoots well in your rifle and go fill your freezer. I assure you that you have bigger things to worry about to fill your tag. Good luck with your hunt!

2015 I shot a cow at over 400 yards with the 270 win 130 ttsx. Went in behind last rib, came out through the front shoulder. Elk piled up. It'll work just fine.

130 TTSX shoots really well out of my 700 Mountain rifle. It’s my do everything load.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back