Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Barnes Triple Shock 130 grain for elk?

I am working with the Barnes 129 LRX in my present .270 Win/R16. I've used 85 xbt in a little 6mmx47mm (222 mag necked up) going 2900fps to kill a big Scimitar Horned Oryx. complete pass through at base of neck, dropped and never kicked. It wasn't (fixed it) a "stunt" shoot, I was recovering from a neck fusion surgery and I had (a) an opportunity to hunt exotics in Texas and (b) which gave me a "excuse" to have a little wildcat fun! ha. I have 2 friends that use the 6mm Remington, another uses his .243 and several use the 25-06 on elk. They are all excellent hunters/riflemen too. I have a friend in Co. that uses the 6.5s ( from .260, 6.5/06, 264WM) all with monos on elk. He loads the 130 Barnes for his 2 friends who kill elk, etc with them. He advises "through the shoulders". Have a ball man!

Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet. I shoot a .284 rifle and I wish Barnes, or Nosler made a 130 grain mono bullet. Maybe some day, I'll try one of those Hammers, but the BC looks to be worse enough that they don't change things much ballistically vs. a 140 grain e tip, as I recall.

The 130gn .277" TTSX is the mono-replacement for 150gn lead given the 99% weight retention of all copper and the faster velocity. You are not giving up anything at all. Shot my cow elk last year with my 1885 highwall .270 with 130gn TTSX - didn't take a step.

If for whatever reason the Barnes does not work in your rifle try the Nosler 130 gr. E-tip. It's an outstanding bullet also. You will have plenty of penetration and expansion using either the Barnes or the Nosler bullets. If by chance neither one seems to shoot worth a hoot try the Nosler 130 gr. Accubond or 140 gr. Accubond.

1589553996799.png 90 gr. E-tip & 100 gr. Partition out of a 6mm Remington at 25-100-300-400 yards. No Partition at the 300 yard distance yet.

1589554112542.png Just to give you an idea of what types of expansion you will get and penetration with an E-tip or the Barnes.

Son's first elk. 6mm Remington 90 gr. Nosler E-tip at 350 yards. One shot! Hit her tight behind the right shoulder and the bullet angled slightly forward and exited out the center of her left shoulder. She staggered 20 yards and dropped. Either Barnes or Nosler 130 gr. bullets will work very well for you. Good luck on your hunt!

1589554470157.png

Attachments

• 1589554223825.png
    1589554223825.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1589554446128.png
    1589554446128.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet. I shoot a .284 rifle and I wish Barnes, or Nosler made a 130 grain mono bullet. Maybe some day, I'll try one of those Hammers, but the BC looks to be worse enough that they don't change things much ballistically vs. a 140 grain e tip, as I recall.
Nosler does make a 140 gr. E-tip for the 7mm caliber rifles which is a mono bullet. There is also a 150 gr. E-tip. Think you would be happy if you tried them out!!

Nosler does make a 140 gr. E-tip for the 7mm caliber rifles which is a mono bullet. There is also a 150 gr. E-tip. Think you would be happy if you tried them out!!
I think I said that in a confusing way, sorry. I'm currently using the 140 e tip. I just wish they made a 130, which I think would be the perfect size mono bullet for the 7mm-08.

Thanks for all the great advice guys, it's super helpful. I ordered some 145 grain Hammer bullets, kinda wishing is gone with the 130 now but I think it'll do the job either way. Looking forward to getting them loaded up and start testing!

Thanks for all the great advice guys, it's super helpful. I ordered some 145 grain Hammer bullets, kinda wishing is gone with the 130 now but I think it'll do the job either way. Looking forward to getting them loaded up and start testing!
Sure you have a fast enough twist for the 145s?

Sure you have a fast enough twist for the 145s?
It's a 1 in 10, that's what they recommend on their site, and I called Steve up and he said they would work. Going to load a few of those and a few of the 130 triple shock and compare. Sounds like either one is good enough for elk, so I'll see which one my gun prefers and go with that.

Dropped a cow in the timber about four years ago now with a .270/130 gr Trophy Copper. Pretty sure I rolled her on a trot. Exit was about the size of a half dollar.

I don't know about the 130g, but I shoot 180g TTSXs out of my 300 win mag. I shot this bull on a hard quartering away shot at 500yds. Slipped it in behind last rib and blew out front of chest. Bull took half a step and plowed over face first into snow.

Attachments

• Elk1.jpg
    Elk1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 65
Seems like you have a good reason to add a new rifle and caliber to your collection of firearms. Although no one really needs a reason unless they are married. ;)

Lots of great advice in this thread. But there are some things that fall on you and not the caliber. You have to have confidence in the round, shoot accurately, and know your limitations. Your question or concerns are warranted. And you got some good answers/advise to help you. But you will still have concerns in the back of your mind until you gain the above.

Good luck in your hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jscrocca
Back