Bandsaw mill

My first advice to you is to have a place to dry that wood BEFORE you ever consider getting a mill.

This mill with the 14 hp motor is comparable to the one you were looking at only much better quality. I had a 28 hp motor and wished for more. If I was going to buy a stationary mill, I would go with the Lt15 and put the biggest motor available on it. Much more solidly built mill than the lx55. What species are you going to be cutting mostly? Pine?

This mill with the 14 hp motor is comparable to the one you were looking at only much better quality. I had a 28 hp motor and wished for more. If I was going to buy a stationary mill, I would go with the Lt15 and put the biggest motor available on it. Much more solidly built mill than the lx55. What species are you going to be cutting mostly? Pine?
I'm looking at cutting very dry pine. Possibly an occasional oak or black walnut. Occasional being 1 log a year.
My goal is to make use of the hundreds of standing dead pines to build a 1000sq. ft cabin for weekend use as a weekend rental. It would be nice to generate a little income from land and materials I already own that is sitting. I want to clear the land of all the burned trees. It brings in the animals and it's very depressing to see what it is compared to what it was. Being able to make something from nothing is good for the brain!!

I'm looking at cutting very dry pine. Possibly an occasional oak or black walnut. Occasional being 1 log a year.
My goal is to make use of the hundreds of standing dead pines to build a 1000sq. ft cabin for weekend use as a weekend rental. It would be nice to generate a little income from land and materials I already own that is sitting. I want to clear the land of all the burned trees. It brings in the animals and it's very depressing to see what it is compared to what it was. Being able to make something from nothing is good for the brain!!
Pine makes poor structural lumber. It also rots quickly so you don't have much time to get it cut. Cutting burnt logs is no fun either.

Pine makes poor structural lumber. It also rots quickly so you don't have much time to get it cut. Cutting burnt logs is no fun either.
We call it Digger Pine. It's weak rooted, falls over because it wants to. It burns very hot and fast. It will soot up a stove pipe in a week. BUT!! It makes for good timber in a non structural application. Cut into 6x6 it will stack well for a log style cabin. It also makes for beautiful interior wood paneling.
Cutting burnt trees with a chainsaw is miserable dirty filthy work. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to get something for free.

Really , I thought most of dimensional lumber was pine.
Burnt logs are not the same as standing dead though.

Most structural lumber is douglas fir or larch. Studs are made out of most any species. The trees in the picture are standing dead and burned. I wouldn't saw them if they were mine.
Those trees were a picture I had handy. The ones I have in mind are 18" to 36" in diameter and 50-100' tall.
Why wouldn't you cut them? I know it's going to be a miserable mess to prepare them for a bandsaw. Is there something else?

Grey Pine or Digger is also known as gasoline pine. It exploded when they tried to use it in locomotives in the 1800's.
The oaks along all rail lines vanished. And they brought eucaliptis in and that wound up unsplitable and a pest in CA.

I would not waste the energy.

I do build with ponderosa now in NM ,full size rough cut. Up off the ground and dried it can last here.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back