Caribou Gear Tarp

Balloons - let's see 'em

Looking back at this thread makes me laugh. I found one the other day while shed hunting in the middle of where I was finding all the sheds. I have only ever found one other balloon in Oregon so maybe there is something to the theory. Found 8 sheds in this particular bedding area and don’t even want to know how many I didn’t find. Absolute bone zone!

Looking back at this thread makes me laugh. I found one the other day while shed hunting in the middle of where I was finding all the sheds. I have only ever found one other balloon in Oregon so maybe there is something to the theory. Found 8 sheds in this particular bedding area and don’t even want to know how many I didn’t find. Absolute bone zone!
I had to argue with my brother in law about this, he tried to tell me they float high enough to get past the atmosphere... I told him I see them in farm fields every week and have come across a couple while hunting and there's a forum thread dedicated to finding them while hunting.

If I'm finding balloons then I'm finding a lot of white antlers without brownies. 50 miles from any town.

Attachments

• 20210321_114707.jpg
    20210321_114707.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210321_164648.jpg
    20210321_164648.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
I had to argue with my brother in law about this, he tried to tell me they float high enough to get past the atmosphere... I told him I see them in farm fields every week and have come across a couple while hunting and there's a forum thread dedicated to finding them while hunting.
I think I got close to 100 last year… I found then on every hunting trip…Kenai, San Juans, northern Minnesota, Vermont, Mass, etc

They are literally everywhere.

My understanding is that a household balloon maxes out around 30k feet. Air at high altitude is less dense, helium expands, ballon pops. Same kinda thing that happens with scuba divers who rapidly ascend from depth and hold their breath.

There is no difference between letting a balloon go and tossing a bottle out a car window on a highway. It’s littering.

Our helium supplies are limited as well.

King for a day, I’d make helium balloons illegal.

I think I got close to 100 last year… I found then on every hunting trip…Kenai, San Juans, northern Minnesota, Vermont, Mass, etc

They are literally everywhere.

My understanding is that a household balloon maxes out around 30k feet. Air at high altitude is less dense, helium expands, ballon pops. Same kinda thing that happens with scuba divers who rapidly ascend from depth and hold their breath.

There is no difference between letting a balloon go and tossing a bottle out a car window on a highway. It’s littering.

Our helium supplies are limited as well.

King for a day, I’d make helium balloons illegal.

I've seen a few, including a weather balloon purposely made to be found, picked up, and returned (which we did for not so much as a "thank you"). But I certainly don't average even one per year, much less 100. Perhaps they follow you around and then throw themselves out of the air in front of you, just out of sight? You may think that sounds crazy.

On the other hand, I find a plethora of plethoras (that's plethora squared) of Mountain Dew and Dr Pepper bottles, no matter where I go. I am certain they skitter around from behind me when I am looking another direction and plant themselves in my path. I know there are people that drink the Dew, as they say, but NOBODY drinks Dr. Pepper. Yet, there they are. Your balloons are my pop bottles.

All of us are followed around with our own personal trash heaps, like Charlie Brown's buddy Pigpen.

I watched the news a while back and they did a story on some memorial for someone who got killed. The crowd realest hundreds of balloons into the air as a tribute. I thought, "well now I think I know who is responsible for all those Bush beer cans strung out along all the forest roads."

Is this a balloon? It was really shiny Mylar. But didn't look very balloony.20220414 potential balloon litter.jpg

This is my haul of normal trash from two days of turkey hunting, but I walked by many truckloads of trash too. Just took the stuff that really, really bugged me. Who the hell carries a fire extinguisher into the back of a public park to dump? Then the ubiquitous Mt. Dew bottle, 12 gauge shell, and f-bomb surveyor's tape (my personal pet peeve).
20220414 Day's haul of litter.jpg

Who does this? I take this crap down as fast as i can find it, and still it goes up faster than I take it down. One day, this will be known as Orange Leaf State Park... :( This crap doesn't dry rot and fade like it used to 20 yrs ago.
20220414 more litter.jpg

More trash. These stands are illegal and have been left up for at least 3 yrs, if not longer. I found 6 of them on Thursday, and I surely did not find them all. I'll probably cut these down as they are starting to girdle the trees.

20220414 tree stand litter.jpg

All in all, balloons are pretty small contributors to the trash problem around here.

Okay, that's my peeving of the evening...
Thank you for your patience.

Is this a balloon? It was really shiny Mylar. But didn't look very balloony.View attachment 219404

This is my haul of normal trash from two days of turkey hunting, but I walked by many truckloads of trash too. Just took the stuff that really, really bugged me. Who the hell carries a fire extinguisher into the back of a public park to dump? Then the ubiquitous Mt. Dew bottle, 12 gauge shell, and f-bomb surveyor's tape (my personal pet peeve).
View attachment 219406

Who does this? I take this crap down as fast as i can find it, and still it goes up faster than I take it down. One day, this will be known as Orange Leaf State Park... :( This crap doesn't dry rot and fade like it used to 20 yrs ago.
View attachment 219407

More trash. These stands are illegal and have been left up for at least 3 yrs, if not longer. I found 6 of them on Thursday, and I surely did not find them all. I'll probably cut these down as they are starting to girdle the trees.

View attachment 219410

All in all, balloons are pretty small contributors to the trash problem around here.

Okay, that's my peeving of the evening...
Thank you for your patience.

Apparently it’s a big thing out here to chain your stand to a tree and leave it forever… it’s a WMA, rules are you have to take your stand down every year. I’ve marked over 40 on my OnX. These 3 are in the same spot, none are useable anymore.
902CE057-CC7F-41D7-B73E-478C7A0B2155.jpeg
17C7AC3F-BDFA-4DFC-8ACB-BB66869BD5E4.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back