Badlands packs

bparkera300

This past summer I purchased a Badlands Sacrifice LS pack. I purchased it originally for hiking and if I didn’t enjoy hiking, worst case I figured I could use it for hunting. I am now planning on hunting in the west in the near future, will this pack suffice or should I be looking for something else?
(Looking at hiking in, and packing out-if I’m lucky) 😬

If you have a frame to use for meat hauling you’ll be fine (until a zipper fails). If you are going to rely on it for packing our critters I’d start shopping.

I have a 2200. It's a don't get too far from the truck pack. It will carry all my hunting stuff, and I've hauled an elk quarter in it. Better stuff out there. I recently came into a Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Not much use yet, but the difference is obvious. mtmuley

If your budget is <$200 I'd rather hunt out of a used Dana, Osprey, REI XT etc. any day. If you can manage more than that I'd look at used or new Kifaru, Stone Glacier, or Mystery Ranch.

Sacrifice LS is not the ideal game pack though hell, you're likely only packing out a shoulder or ham on a day pack regardless.
I have a Badlands 2800 1/2 day pack that comfortably packs out a shoulder/ham.

Want something that does all for a hunt trip... though able to keep your kidney?

$99.00 via Amazon. Best price I've seen. Friend purchased one a couple years back from Murdoch's Store - Believe he paid some $199 and at that time seemed a fair price though for $99, I may pick up one as a backup for "friend", AKA mule. :D

1575166690045.png

Last edited:
Great black friday deals on high end pack systems right now. I'd get shopping so you can spend roughly $300 instead of roughly $600.
I saw that. That’s what got me to ask the question. And thank you to all who have replied. It’s kinda what I was thinking but was hoping I was wrong. Oh well live and learn.

I have the Sacrifice (gen 1), and it is a good match for day hunts here in CO. It is light, well designed, durable so far, and generously sized for daypack use. I carried mine for training all summer w 20# in it, like it wasn't even there. When it is time to pack elk quarters, the first one comes out on the Sacrifice, then I grab my packframe for the heavy hauling. The Sacrifice is also fine for 2-3 day mild weather backpack trips, better than the frame pack. I had a BL2200 before the Sacrifice. The Sac is lighter, carries more and more comfortably, cooler, better designed to carry bulky loads. Durability is reflected by the lifetime warranty, which BL honors.

Last edited:
I have the superday pack from Badlands. It's OK as a day pack. Certainly not ideal for hauling meat out, although you could do it in a pinch. It seems like a heavy pack to me.

I run the Diablo dos, for 2 reasons.

1. It was on camofire

2. My wife laughted when I told her I needed a Mystery Ranch Cabinet

Its a pretty good day pack. Comfortable.

But if your making your living out of a pack, id look elsewhere.

I use that ALPZ frame as a meathauler.

4 Elk this year on it, it worked great. I wouldn't be afraid to run the whole pack as a short tripper

And this is my second 2200. Badlands gave me a new one after the zippers in the first one went to heck. The Vortex of hunting packs. mtmuley

/\ /\ muley is right on.

Buy once, cry once. Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier no more crying.

Last edited:
I'd tell anyone doing any sort of backpack / backcountry hunting to avoid badlands. GoHunt has a youtube video where they stress test bags and the badlands fails under a pretty minimal load. They're good for getting to and from a treestand but not for putting any real weight in them.

I've noticed a lot of people on here don't like badlands packs. I have one. I don't have any major complaints, but I also treat my gear well which may play into it.

Also, I was able to get a pack for far cheaper than any MR, and there is value in that IMO. Not sure I would feel the same way if I had paid full price for the bag tho...

To the OP, it should be fine. When you're getting started out if you can re-purpose existing equipment it will reduce your initial capital investment which can make it easier to get into the game. I wouldn't buy a new pack for your first hunt unless the one you have is too small for your needs.

You want the most comfortable rv / off road truck? Same applies to packs... All factors determine selection.
Sure wouldn't mind... In the mean time, I'll enjoy my p/u truck and wall tent. :)

Carbon-Fiber-EarthRoamer-LTi-IMG_0257-2.jpg

190-Interior-Rear-2-resized.jpg

I purchased a Badlands day pack a few years ago. I can say is it's far better than what it replaced. I am ambivalent about how many compartments there are. My previous pack basically had one large compartment. The Badlands several compartments make stuffing,,say an extra sweater more difficult. On balance thou, it serves my purposes well.

As far as carrying serious weight, I have horses for that.

Back