Badlands 2800 question...

THWAK1

I know this is a big MR backpack site but I have an opportunity to buy a new Badlands 2800 for $70.

I have the Badlands Diablo, Sidewinder and an old model from them and like them all, so much so that I bought my dad the Superday. I also have a Cabelas Alaska packframe to pack meat out with, a Dwight Schuh Mega Pack because I thought I needed one (anyone want to buy it?), and I backpack in the summer w/a Kelty 5500.

I know from past threads that some people like the 2800 and some don't. But for $70, can I really go wrong to have another pack?

What are your pro's and con's of the 2800?

Thanks.

I have one and so does my bro in law. We like them, the only problems I have had are the zipper tabs breaking, just thru a zip tie on it and called it good. I have done lots of 3-4 day bivys with it. Both of ours are 5 or 6 years old. $70? I would. Granted when this wears out I am going to MR, but that won't be for awhile. I am like you I use my pack frame for hauling meat, but I know it would be nice to have a pack that can do both.

I have a 2800 from a few years ago. I think they've switched the design now.

It was a good pack for deer hunting. It did break a strap under a heavy load though.

I have the 2200 and the 4500, so I can't speak about the 2800 specifically. At $70 I don't see how you would not get your money's worth. Plus, just for the cost of shipping, Badlands will do whatever mods/repairs you desire.

Shoot for 70 bucks I couldn't buy two boxes of rifle shells. DO IT

I have the 2200 and the 4500, so I can't speak about the 2800 specifically. At $70 I don't see how you would not get your money's worth. Plus, just for the cost of shipping, Badlands will do whatever mods/repairs you desire.

Shoot for 70 bucks I couldn't buy two boxes of rifle shells. DO IT

I think that's your answer right there. You'll almost certainly get well over $70 worth of use out of it.

i upgraded to a MR pack last year, but used the badlands 2800 for the previous 5 seasons. The zipper tabs can break off, but like was said above, just run a zip tie through the zipper slider and it works fine. No problem backing out the days supply of gear with a boned out muley buck and skull in one load. Another bonus, is that even if you didn't buy the pack new, if you ever have anything break on it, you can send it back to badlands and they will either fix or send you a new one with no questions asked. If $70 is you budget, you won't be disapointed...

Thanks for the info guys. I am worried about the batwing design though. But just like my other Badlands, I know the company stands behind thier products. I am not on a budget, but when I got a call today that one was going for $70, I figured I'd see what you all had to say about them. And, it never hurts to have another backpack! LOL I use all of mine for spring bear and turkey, fishing, everything archery in the fall and coyote hunting all winter.

Keep the pros/cons coming and thanks again!

I've never used one but for $70 I'd let it hang in my shed till I felt like using it.

There is nothing wrong with the batwing design. Understand that the fabric likes to move around and pull on the zippers accordingly, and they will last for years. The frame is basically non existent so an Elk hind quarter will bring it to it's knees. The lifters are a cpl inches shorter on the 2800 than the 2200 and 4500 so if your close to 6' they won't be working unless you choke up on the pack and get the belt above the hip bones.

I'll buy it for $70 if you dont want to... I have an old 2800 without the wings and it served me very well for about 7 years before I got my crewcab... But... I'd STILL by another 2800 if it was sitting there for $70.

I just bought the 2800 about 3 months ago. Haven't had an opportunity to use it in the field yet but I would have liked the $70 price tag instead of what I paid.

70? buy it! Tears, issues with it, they honor ANY badland bag to completely repair for free or ...

I really like mine... the h2O bag sucks - look for single hook bladder bags if you do go this route.

Their warranty on their sites states even if purchased at a yard sale they honor their warranty.

If you don't buy it, pm me whom to purchase it from.

added: I have a newer 2800. with the holster integrated into the hip belt. not sure of the earlier styles... though for 70... like said before 2 boxes of rounds or another to hang in the shed... also helps if a friend wants to tag along w/o a pack to carry a shoulder... haha!

Last edited:
I forgot about this thread. I picked up the 2800. It was a return and was dirty and was missing the water bladder. I cleaned it up and gave it to my son who just started college. He likes it and could use a new backpack...hopefully he and his friends use it for hunting/fishing/hiking and not for carrying large amounts of beer when they go camping! LOL

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back