Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Badlands 2200

realdyl75

Looking for a day pack for my elk hunt this year in Colorado. Considering the Badlands 2200. Is the quality really as bad as what I'm seeing in the forum? I want a pack that hauls meat and has a rifle storage option.

Looking for a day pack for my elk hunt this year in Colorado. Considering the Badlands 2200. Is the quality really as bad as what I'm seeing in the forum? I want a pack that hauls meat and has a rifle storage option.

I used a Badlands, from what I have seen not its not nearly as bad as people will lead you to believe.

If you run it over with your truck, you'll probably mess it up. Treat it well and it should do fine.

Not really a quality issue more of a design issue. As a day pack works fine. Leaves something to be desired for meat or serious weight hauling. Fine starter pack if you can find a good deal. Not worth what I see them selling for at full retail IMO.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Amazon has them for $200 with a lifetime warranty. Seems like a good deal.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Amazon has them for $200 with a lifetime warranty. Seems like a good deal.
If you don't need it right now, wait for sales. I got the summit backpack for like $150 for a black friday deal. Wait it out and I bet you can find it for $125 on sale

No, the quality is not bad. I have one that I use for a day pack and think its near perfect. Its not as comfortable as a Metcalf but you shouldn't haul a ton of weight in it. I'll toss in my standard backpack (just in case) supplies, an extra layer or two, rain gear, and my rifle or bow and it carries well.

Badlands gets a bad rap on some of these forums because I think people like to compare them to MR, EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier or some of the other "high end packs". As an apples to apples comparison of packs in it's price range badlands compares well. I hate the giant zipper pulls that jingle like a Christmas slay ride but over all they are not bad packs (I own a Dash and have owned a 2200 in the past). Personally I didn't like the 2200 because I could never get it to fit me well so I got rid of it but that is very subjective so take it with a grain of salt. As a hauler it will do the job, just don't expect it to be comfortable or be able to load the kind of weight on it as you would an external frame pack such as a Mystery Ranch or others (Apples to Oranges). It will be a compromise as a hauler. If it's what you can afford and it fits your needs I wouldn't be afraid to purchase a Badlands pack. In Badlands price range of packs and their warranty its a good bang for the buck just don't expect it to be the quality of some of the high end packs on the market. On that note if you can scratch together a few more pennies you can find MR Pintler packs on sale in the 300.00 range, Ebay used or consider a new MR Pop up 38L. Just my .02

I ran a 2200 for a couple years before switching to an EXO. It’s a good pack for the money and you may find a used one for a good price. It won’t haul heavy like an EXO, mystery ranch, kifaru, etc..., but if you are putting 50 lbs. in it and not traveling excessive distances you should be fine. I think the 2200 still has an integrated rifle carrier too.

Last edited:
I used a 2200 for 3 years, upgraded last year to BL Sacrifice. I carried both as training packs all summer. I have a packframe for serious meat hauling, so the daypacks only have to carry out the 1st load. The 2200 is pretty tough IME. A little heavy by modern standards. Mine was comfortable w 30#, doable w 50. The warranty service is truly lifetime, they are kind of slow on turnaround. Pay less than $100 for a used one, you will have a good deal. I got mine on EB for under $70, sent it in for warranty work on the top stay enclosure, and was happy w it until the Sacrifice showed up in the classifieds. The 2200 belt, which carries all the weight, is superior to the Sacrifice's. Sold the 2200 for more than I paid, so they hold their value. Good luck.

They get poor mouthed way too much. I have one that’s almost 20 years old. It’s not my primary pack and I don’t use it for heavy packing. They have a great guarantee....break it and send it back, they’ll fix it.
I use mine mostly for pronghorn hunting because I don’t want my $500 dollar Mystery Ranch to smell like a pronghorn buck.

Had one and sold it pretty quickly. Nice size for a day pack, but doesn't carry weight very well -25-30lbs otherwise you really can't get it chinched up well. The suspension isnt adjustable, the waist belt is just some squishy foam.

If you are going to spend $200, look for a used or like new Mystery Ranch or the like. I was actually just looking on Ebay, there are some killer deals on great packs in the same size range, with far better suspensions.

I wouldn't go on an elk hunt without a frame pack now. If your going to be doing any style of backpack hunt and your packing loads out. The extra money you'll spend is well worth it. You can find a used MR pack on here for sale pretty much on a weekly basis, sometimes Kifaru, EXOs, SGs come up as well.

Had one and sold it pretty quickly. Nice size for a day pack, but doesn't carry weight very well -25-30lbs otherwise you really can't get it chinched up well. The suspension isnt adjustable, the waist belt is just some squishy foam.

If you are going to spend $200, look for a used or like new Mystery Ranch or the like. I was actually just looking on Ebay, there are some killer deals on great packs in the same size range, with far better suspensions.

^^ I had the same experience, just didn't fit me well and so it was remarkably uncomfortable. I used mine on one hunt and sold it, though YMMV. For ~$200 you should be able to pick up MR pop up 28 which would suit your needs better IMO

My 2200 has served me quite well for the last 9 years. It's packed a few deer and a few elk. All buckles and zippers still working and no tears in the fabric.
I'm sure there are much better packs for packing game that are more comfortable and user friendly.
When our horses die, I will likely invest in a better pack.

You won't know how bad a Badlands pack is until you try an MR, EXO, Stone Glaicer.

MR come up used at great prices, also on sale now on gohunt and were just on sale on camofire. There is a FB page just for buying and selling used MR packs.

Hopefully thats not against the rules of the forum for me to point those places out. shrug

If you paid me $200 to take home a Badlands pack I'd stick it in the closet and go find something else to hunt with. That is just my opinion, but not an exaggeration.

I have found nothing positive from a Badlands pack other than the price. After that you just have an inexpensive piece of shit.

I would suggest taking a hard look at it, make sure you try it on. I just looked at them in the store tonight, no way to adjust the torso length, and as soon as I tightened it up with no weight there were instant pressure points on both of my shoulder blades where the padding ended and the hardness of the frame is exposed. Not just pressure points, but semi painful with no weight. I have a horn hunter full curl, similar price range but IMO better quality, lifetime warranty and made in USA. It doesn't have the most comfortable harness system but no fatal flaws, and it can certainly pack 100+ lbs. of meat. I've loaded it with 130lbs. of tile and mortar for training. It has a rifle sling attachment for the back, but I've modified it and use it as a side sling as well.

BUT, I just saw on Black Ovis a Mystery Ranch Mule 2019 model for $265, which is superior to both, (although I honestly love the versatility of the horn hunter since I often do all day hunts and can get away with just the frame, but can also use it for week long trips or more). Not sure about a rifle sling on the Mule but I'm sure they have a set up for it. $265 for the Mule is way better than ~$200 for 2200.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back