BAD FREAKING DAY......NEED ADVICE

Well I am with Moosie on this one.

I love dogs but if it was mine it would be put down I dont care if it is a hunting dog.

We had a family dog and it Bit Turkeyeye well it had to do the 10 day thing and after that was up I told them put it down dont want a dog that bites. Turkeyeye had to have stiches.

You got lucky the mailman did get hurt bad.

Just the way I run things at my house so take it with a grain of salt..

Never love a dog so much you can't shoot it.

You have fears about the neighborhood kids, somewhere in the back of your mind there must be a reason.

Don't put an animals life above that of a human being, Peta has that covered.

the fear angle mentioned above, well kids would be scared sh!tless by even a false charging dog, do you want to give the dog a pass because he reacted to fear?

Around here if you put up a beware of dog sign and it bites you open yourself to lawsuits because you "knew" the dog was dangerous.

I'll bet the Post office has a bit more to say before this is all over with.

Do what you think is best, it's your decision, but, I'd be worried

Keep the dog. I agree with the putting a little electric charge on the fence. But then again if I could teach my Lab to bite the mailman when he brings bills, that would be great!!
shhh.gif
wink.gif

I used to have two black labs who were escape artists. I put up a fence to keep them in the yard...they dug under it.

I buried chicken wire around the perimeter of the fence. They figured out how to dig up enough width that they could paw at it and roll it out of their way (at some expense in cuts & scrapes), then continue their escape. The wire soon rusted under the ground, anyway, so it was temporary at best.

I put concrete pavers around the inside of the fence to keep them from digging...they figured out how to dig under the paver until it fell into the hole, then continue their escape.

I put up a wireless fence around the perimeter of the physical fence. They figured out that breaking the buried wire would stop the collar from shocking them, and then proceeded to just let the collar shock them until they could dig up the wire.

I put up an electric fence just inside the physical fence, a few inches off the ground so they were bound to touch it while digging. They simply brought their excavation back a foot and dug under the electric wire, as well.

The final straw was when they got out in the middle of the night and scared a couple of senior citizens taking their 4:30 AM walk.
rolleyes.gif
No attack was made and all they wanted was a petting, but the seniors were convinced that the dogs were vicious killers and proceeded to tell the entire neighborhood about how we were harboring dangerous animals. The Wife didn't want our neighbors to be afraid of us or think we were wackos (plus I was damned tired of trying to keep them inside the yard!), so we put an ad in the paper: SAVE MY DOGS FROM THE POUND.

A nice couple from the country with lots of room to roam took them, and I haven't seen them since. They probably got run over a week after leaving, but I did what I could to help them.

So, Mike, my answer to you is that I've been down your road, and I'm sure you'll do what I did: try everything you can to keep the dog. I hope you have better success than I did, because once mine got the taste of freedom there was no holding them back.
biggrin.gif

Good luck!

Michael,

Yes, I would keep the dog. He was not disobeying you or your wife. The dog did his job, he protected his property and he didn't do anything wrong. But you have to consider if the dog would ever harm someone in the family or who was an invited guest. I do not know how to evaluate that.

I would suggest an electronic collar in addition to the chain link as many dogs (big and small) can easily chew out or climb the chain link (as you well know already).

It is not good to have to pay the fines but that is just being responsible. If you are concerned, you can purchase a personal libility policy for $150-$300 per year that covers you if you are sued from someone that your dog has bitten.. it covers a lot of other liabilities in addition. The problem you would have with getting this type of coverage is that you now have a dog with a bite history. And if the dog bites again, you may have more liability with the history. Your homeowner's insurance will also go up if they find out. You should discuss the total cost with your wife, many times the cost is a determining factor for not keeping a dog.

If you keep the dog, I suggest you change it's name (something similar will work), take the dog to a new vetrinarian, buy all brand new licenses and vacines.... and just say it's a new dog and that you got rid of the old one. I think you can follow my thinking here.

Good luck!

Just an afterthought:

I used to breed half pitt/labs for hog dogs and they were escape artists extrodinarie!

The only material I found could contain them was a concrete pad that had bull wire fencing embedded in the concrete. 1/2 of the dogs I had to enclose the top of the kennel as well to keep them climbing out. The bull wire can't be ripped like chain link.

mike, your own words say it all::My biggest concern is that I have two young children 4 and 6 who constantly have a stream of friends coming and going, he has always been great with the kids.

I think there is doubt in your mind as to wheather he can be trusted 100%.
We have raised Rotty's for over 25 years and it put in your spot I would have to say the dog would be gone. Best of luck.

ike you may know that I rescue, house, and adopt dogs. We also have ten of our own. Listen to Smitty. You must do absolutely everything within your power to control those animals. Build yourself an escape proof kennel if you plan to keep the dog. You may need to check your state, county and municipal laws. Many areas require additional liability insurance for dangerous breed dogs including those with a history. I hate to put a dog down; but, I have, and one for exactly what your dog did. If you decide to keep him you must reconcile within yourself that you will do everything within your power to keep him under control and additionally recognize that if it doesn't work you are still responsible for his behavior and any damages he causes. Good luck.

Okay, heres the problem Im having with this whole thing and some of the advice you are getting....

1st off....were there any other witnesses to what happened, or is the mailman the only one....if so, there are too many unknowns...whos to say that the dog didnt get loose, walk up to say hi to the mailman, the mailman freaked and took a kick at him or tried to hit him with his letter bag, and the dog reacted....I just have a real hard time believing that a sweet, friendly dog that you have never had a single problem with just escaped and aggressively attacked someone, when he has never been aggressive in the past. I have seen many a mailman taunt or provoke a dog into attacking.

I would keep the dog, and if it happens again, the re-evaluate the situation with the dog and if needs be, put him down or give him up for adoption, but after a single isolated incident to put a dog down is asanine.

Oh, well theres my $.02 worth
soapbox.gif

Good luck in whatever you do!!!Heck, if I had anymore room for another dog, I'd take him off your hands...
biggrin.gif

TUFF

I talked to the mailman, He is taking it really well and doesn't blame the dog. He thinks that maybe he suprised him a little.
He is a pure bred chocoalate lab and has never before shown any aggressive behavior.
He has always been the dog that all the neighbor kids love to play with.
he absolutly loves to get out and romp with the kids.
he is also highly trained to hunt waterfoul. He is whistle and hand gesture trained.
with one motion of my hand he will sit, with another he will come to my left side and either sit or lay down.
when he is retrieving either a training dummy or a real bird I am able to guide him to it using a combination of hand/arm gestures and whistle commands.
He will not leave my side to retrieve unless I send him.
He is extreemly smart.. he can tell the sound of either my truck or the wifes car before he can see them, and ignores all the other cars and trucks driving by.
I have seen him many times run to the gate or far corner of the yard and watch, sure as heck my wifes car will come around the corner and he will be out to the gate to greet her and the kids.

I think I will keep him. I will also make a point of having the mailman come in and introduce them while I am there, I am sure he wouldn't ever bother him again from then on.
I will also escape proof his kennel.
thank for all your thoughts.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-13-2004 12:07: Message edited by: michaelr ]</font>

Michael, I think you have the right idea. I had a springer that supposedly out of the blue jumped up and bit a friend on the cheek. Come to find out the friend blew in the dog's ear. Never had another problem with the dog. He was the mellowest pooch I have ever had. If yours is as smart as you say, he probably know he did wrong.

Sorry- one more comment...
In my spare time, I train dogs- only obedience for the general public, but a few of my better trainers have gone on to participate with me in slightly less friendly dog sports- Schutzhund, French Ring, KNPV & Mondio Ring. In all these other disciplines, we teach the dogs to bite- well, not teach, actually- they all know how to bite, it's just a matter of telling them when it's okay.
Here's the thing- I have two Shepherds in my house (along with a Jack Russell and a Miniature Dachshund) that I know very well would bite someone if given the chance. My male, in particular, is a nasty piece of work...
f9f555c6.jpg

Here's the secret to owning a dog you KNOW will bite people (which you now have, like it or not). My Shepherds are NEVER given the opportunity. They are in my house, or in a secure, fenced area when they are outside, or, when we go out the front door, they are muzzled. Rebuilding his kennel is a great idea- so is remembering what you have, particularly when there are kids around.
Personally, I think you are probably handling this situation perfectly. Hope this helps.

YH,

Those are some awesome pics. My brother is a k-9 officer and I have had the chance to work as an "agitator" for his dog as well as many other police dogs here in SLC, Utah. I love it. The thing about my brothers dog is he is so unlike many shepards. He is the most relaxed friendly dog at home, but when he is at work, its like he gets switched on and he's not playing anymore!!

YH.....Those are some cool pictures.
eek.gif

Mike, I am glad everything worked out for you with the mailman. Hope all goes well with the kennel and hang in there.

Thanks, guys.
Tuff, while I can certainly understand the appeal of that type of dog, I personally prefer dogs with the temperment of working Malinois- always on the edge, always looking for a fight. Man, they're tough. Too bad they're so damned light.

I have a PITT/LAB that hates our mailman. Our dog stays in the house when we are at work. The only thing I can figure is the dog thinks this guy is trying to break into the house every day at the same time. When the mailman steps onto our porch, she hits the front door just as hard as she can,barking, and snarling. This dog is great with everyone else. With the mailmans permission, we started introducing the dog to him. As long as we are there she is fine with him. She has never, ever bitten anyone. If she would ever bite anyone I would have to put her down.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-14-2004 08:57: Message edited by: Whiskers ]</font>

Whiskers-
A suggestion, if I may- no matter how familiar she gets with the mailman when you are there, it's the situation of him coming to the front door that pisses her off. Pit Bulls were born to defend, and she'll defend your house against that interloper with all her heart. Good. She's doing her job. Just be careful.

YH,

Malinois...you mean Mal-in-jaws!! Those things are landsharks!! My department has 1 shepard and two malinois. Are newest Mal hits harder than any dog I have ever caught!! Thats thing is crazy!! Our shepherd is a big boy, but he aint got nothing on hitting power compared to our newest mal.

For single purpose apprehension, I like the Mal's , but I have seen them lack compared to the Shepherds in drug finds, and sometimes in tracking! Either way, there both awesome dogs to work with!!

TUFF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back