Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bad deal...

I'm not suggesting it was planned as some here are assuming. Just seems weird that the entire bridge would go down. I would have assumed a bridge that big in that busy of a port would have been designed with a potential collision in mind. Most things are built for worst case scenario. Especially fed and gov things like this. At least around here they are.
Im as far from an engineer as you can get, but, That’s exactly how I’d expect the bridge to fall. The ship took out the “keystone” and caused the whole thing to fail. The beams from both sides are joined together on that pillar and when their support was taken out they collapsed in.

I'm pretty sure this bridge pre-dates when vessel collision forces (certainly those of this magnitude) were included in the design code. I don't know what would've been included for it, but it certainly wouldn't have been designed by today's standards.
Hydraulic engineer here, not structural so take it with a grain of salt. If we design bridges to take that kind of impact, the entire US transportation budget will be lucky to build one every 10 years. Everything is a balance of risk vs cost; with enough money anything is possible, but design criteria are selected so that a bridge will survive any expected event in its design life, and I’m pretty sure a 100,000 ton impact to a pier isn’t currently and will never be one of the design criteria.

Hydraulic engineer here, not structural so take it with a grain of salt. If we design bridges to take that kind of impact, the entire US transportation budget will be lucky to build one every 10 years. Everything is a balance of risk vs cost; with enough money anything is possible, but design criteria are selected so that a bridge will survive any expected event in its design life, and I’m pretty sure a 100,000 ton impact to a pier isn’t currently and will never be one of the design criteria.
Cost and risk play into it, but the forces for these vessels are included in modern designs. Can be a combination of dolphins and the pier itself to resist the forces. (Or getting the piers out of the water or to some place where the vessel would be grounded if that's an option and is cost-effective). They are huge forces to design for. Also, generally there is a plinth that goes up high enough in modern bridges which makes it a solid chunk of concrete where you would expect the vessel to impact. This bridge doesn't appear to have that, and the relatively little column(s) that got struck had no chance of resisting the load.

Cost and risk play into it, but the forces for these vessels are included in modern designs. Can be a combination of dolphins and the pier itself to resist the forces. (Or getting the piers out of the water or to some place where the vessel would be grounded if that's an option and is cost-effective). They are huge forces to design for. Also, generally there is a plinth that goes up high enough in modern bridges which makes it a solid chunk of concrete where you would expect the vessel to impact. This bridge doesn't appear to have that, and the relatively little column(s) that got struck had no chance of resisting the load.
Guess I learned something today. Coastal engineering is a different beast, and obviously the size of potential impacts to a bridge superstructure on a river in Montana are orders of magnitude less than that container ship. I still have a hard time imagining a concrete plinth that could take that kind of impact without suffering substantial damage, right? The bridge probably doesn't collapse in that scenario but it would still be a huge closure while the plinth was repaired/replaced.

Guess I learned something today. Coastal engineering is a different beast, and obviously the size of potential impacts to a bridge superstructure on a river in Montana are orders of magnitude less than that container ship. I still have a hard time imagining a concrete plinth that could take that kind of impact without suffering substantial damage, right? The bridge probably doesn't collapse in that scenario but it would still be a huge closure while the plinth was repaired/replaced.
I should clarify that my statement is true assuming the vessel was of a typical size and going a typical speed as would be expected in the area. Being a major port, I assume this was a typical vessel that you would expect to see coming in or out. A vessel study would be done to know size, weight, speed of ships going in/out. Distance of pier from channel would play into design forces. In this case, it was the main pier, so would've had a very high design force. The forces are eye-popping when compared to those that you would design for a barge that's travelling on the Mississippi River for example. I don't know if there are any examples of vessels like this hitting a modern bridge. I have seen the result of a barge hitting a brand new bridge pier. The bridge definitely won. But that is a different magnitude load. The design for an extreme event like this would be for survival of the bridge...not necessarily serviceable condition, so it could certainly mean closure depending on the condition. If dolphins are used, it would hopefully minimize damage to the pier itself, and repair/replacement of the dolphins could be done while keeping the bridge open to traffic.

To your point, you can't design for every possible situation. Risk is put into play and design codes are created with an "acceptable risk".

I was not a ship-driver, but spent plenty of time on ships in the navy. With regard to the anchor being dropped, there is some serious tonnage on that ship... and at about 8 knots the anchor, once dropped, would not bring the ship to a complete stop. My understanding, having observed going to anchorage, is that the anchor goes down and then the ship backs down, paying out anchor chain. In a sense, the amount of chain laying on the bottom is what keeps the ship stationary. Even then, if the seas and winds pick up, a ship can "drag the anchor." I'm probably butchering the explanation, but again... I wasn't a ship-driver.

@SAJ-99

What is a better outcome in this situation?

1. US taxpayers pay to replace the bridge that Maersk destroyed while also killing several human beings.

-or-

2. Maersk paying to replace the bridge Maersk destroyed while also killing several human beings.

I know which one AOC would choose, but I'm not stupid enough to presume that because you're a liberal you'd do the same thing as her.
It is silly to view it as simply an obvious choice between A and B. That is a world that is decoupled from reality. I'm sure ultimately Maersk, its insurance companies, and various other other re-insurnace companies will have to pick up the bill. As they should. But that will take time and lawyers and more time. What has to be done NOW is to investigate the cause, remove the old bridge, and then redesign and build a new bridge. The US Government is the only group with the scale, skills, and money to get the massive logistics of a project like that done ASAP. The longer that port is inoperable, fully or partially, the more we all suffer because it impacts the economy.

It will get done and time will pass and people will continue to complain a decade later (even while they drive across the bridge) about how taxpayers "bailed out" the company and "had to pay for the bridge". They will complain about the size of the government and about taxes and about inflation, but they will make zero attempt to understand what it really took to get it done and the true cost/benefit that was taking place at the time. It will be just like people complaining about bailing out banks in the financial crisis.

I certainly agree. Every crisis is an opportunity, particularly for politicians, but that doesn't cease to mean it is a crisis. When your air conditioner goes out on a 110degree day it's a crisis for you as you have to haggle with the HVAC company on the price to fix it. When the power goes out for 5 days and a hospital has to negotiate to buy diesel to operate the generator to keep the power on, that's a crisis for them and their patients. When a cat 5 hurricane strikes a city, that is a crisis. Some things are bigger than others, and I have no problem discussing where the line might be drawn. This is clearly a crisis and Company will end up paying, but the government will have to get it done if we want it done relatively quickly. There will be some haggling over price, but in the end it will be paid. I highly doubt there are any engineering firms capable of building a bridge that are sitting around with nothing to do for the next 12-18months.

@SAJ-99

What is a better outcome in this situation?

1. US taxpayers pay to replace the bridge that Maersk destroyed while also killing several human beings.

-or-

2. Maersk paying to replace the bridge Maersk destroyed while also killing several human beings.

I know which one AOC would choose, but I'm not stupid enough to presume that because you're a liberal you'd do the same thing as her.

Realistically, I think it has to be 1 followed by 2.

Ultimately the Company and their insurers need to cover the cost of the accident. That will involve considerable time to hold them to account. We can't wait for that, the bridge and harbor need to be fixed as soon as humanly possible.

I have ZERO problem with holding the Company financially responsible for this, up to and including bleeding them out entirely.

I certainly agree. Every crisis is an opportunity, particularly for politicians, but that doesn't cease to mean it is a crisis. When your air conditioner goes out on a 110degree day it's a crisis for you as you have to haggle with the HVAC company on the price to fix it. When the power goes out for 5 days and a hospital has to negotiate to buy diesel to operate the generator to keep the power on, that's a crisis for them and their patients. When a cat 5 hurricane strikes a city, that is a crisis. Some things are bigger than others, and I have no problem discussing where the line might be drawn. This is clearly a crisis and Company will end up paying, but the government will have to get it done if we want it done relatively quickly. There will be some haggling over price, but in the end it will be paid. I highly doubt there are any engineering firms capable of building a bridge that are sitting around with nothing to do for the next 12-18months.
The Army Corps of Engineers aren’t available? I guarantee they will find someone to lead this project very very quickly.

The Army Corps of Engineers aren’t available? I guarantee they will find someone to lead this project very very quickly.
The Government never does anything quickly including the Corps...pretty sure they are still fixing stuff in New Orleans from Katrina...full disclosure former USACE civilian employee. It's not really the Corps fault they are caught up in the Govt budget cycle. It will take at least 2 years for the complete funding to be approved.

Back