Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Backyard buck. How big will he get?

npaden

With it almost being the end of July I would think he should be about done growing, but he is still carrying a pretty big growth tip on the top of a few of his tines. Is he about done or is he going to grow a few more inches on the tines with the growth tips? His main beams still have quite a bit of mass at the front. I posted the pictures as thumbnails, you can click on them to see the full resolution pictures if you want.

103BDD29-60F6-4A0B-855B-FCCD8BD8D9A0.jpeg8315EFCD-6C03-4A6F-B364-346F4DA35151.jpeg75DAF68B-19A0-4369-B575-66DE2A8C41DE.jpeg

There were 4 out this morning.

DF8AC041-CDC8-4550-AF2D-A89DD401CC13.jpeg

Was a little late to work this morning, they took almost 30 minutes to mozey past the house. The dog just sat on the back porch and watched them the entire time.

Cool buck. I wish I knew the answer for you. I don’t want to detract too much, but I’m curious what growth tips are and how you identify them? I haven’t heard about them before.

Cool buck. I wish I knew the answer for you. I don’t want to detract too much, but I’m curious what growth tips are and how you identify them? I haven’t heard about them before.

That's just what I'm calling the "bulb" type part of the end of the antler. It seems like on some of the tines they may be getting close to the end and they narrow down, on some they still are bigger and rounder and that's what I'm calling a growth tip. For sure not a formal term or anything, just something I used trying to describe it. For sure I think the tines where the tip is actually larger in diameter than the antler behind it have some more growing to do. Just not sure if it is 1" or 3".

Last edited:
That's just what I'm calling the "bulb" type part of the end of the antler. It seems like on some of the tines they may be getting close to the end and they narrow down, on some they still are bigger and rounder and that's what I'm calling a growth tip. For sure not a formal term or anything, just something I used trying to describe it. For sure I think the tines where the tip is actually larger in diameter than the antler behind it have some more growing to do. Just not sure if it is 1" or 3".

Gotcha. I see what you are saying. Learn something new everyday!

Awesome buck Nathan. I like the little cheater also.
I’d guess he should still be growing a bit more. Tough to tell for sure. Some start early and grow quick and some put it on at the end. Seems he should add a little more tine length and beams though.
What did he look like last year?

I don’t have as good of pictures of him, but I’m pretty sure this was him last year. On the far right.

FC6F6829-DFE4-4119-828E-99F0C645023A.jpeg31D8F082-B1D7-4357-AB53-A80181425B10.jpeg

I think this was him hard horned last year.

2C65627B-6084-45EF-80E6-6EBF78AB2696.jpeg

Of course I didn’t see him once during our 10 day mule deer season last year.

Awesome! I was thinking 3-4” of tine length left to grow at least. He looks good! Hope he stays around.

I don’t have as good of pictures of him, but I’m pretty sure this was him last year. On the far right.

View attachment 111055View attachment 111056

I think this was him hard horned last year.

View attachment 111057

Of course I didn’t see him once during our 10 day mule deer season last year.
i don't think those r the same buck. the first two pictures the g4 on his right side looks to long. the last pic with the brow tines looks like it could be him.

He is an awesome looking buck love his character. I think he will put on quite a few more inches still has a good 3-4 weeks to grow I'd bet.

AEBA305D-1D8B-4B6B-A860-4D94D9F6D137.jpegBCD55993-E6C7-4DA9-950E-66EB04293BE1.jpeg884C173A-B211-474E-869C-07478AF3B584.jpeg590CB952-1B7E-48EF-AFBF-756CA03D70EC.jpeg

Not as good of pictures this morning but he has grown a bit and looks like he still might put an tiny bit more length on.

He has awesome fronts, hard to really judge in velvet. I’m think he should finish out somewhere in the 170’s?

Don’t think I could pass on him if we see him during the season.

Those tree tubes are 5’ tall and vary in diameter. I might go measure the one he was in front of and use that to try to get a closer idea on score.

You can click on the thumbnails to see the pictures larger. They were with my cell phone through a spotting scope and dirty glass so no very high quality, but you can get a pretty good idea.

Anyone have any solid guesses on score? I don't think he is going to make 180 but I think he is going to make 170 for sure. I have a 165" and 181" buck on my wall in my house and I think he is somewhere between those two for sure. Just not sure if he is closer to the 165 or the 181. He has really good fronts, backs aren't bad. I think he will end up with pretty good mass once the velvet is gone as well.

Anyone else have a thought on score?

I know it really doesn't matter, if I see him on my property during the season I'm going to do my best to get him ground checked but it is fun to guess anyway. I would love for him to be my son's first mule deer but then again, I don't want to spoil him too badly.

Thanks, Nathan

Really like the split brow tine and the kicker on the right side. Hope you can pattern him in the next few weeks.

I think he is between 170 and 175 with everything. Looks real nice from the back but not as good from the front. If that buck was in Montana I would say 180 with the nontypicals but I would guess the average Texas buck has a smaller body.

Back