MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backpacking Stove

rjlefty3

Thinking about buying a backpacking stove this year. I've been looking at JetBoils, specifically the Sumo (not totally convinced I'd need the extra room over a flash). The only thing that bothers me is the weight compared to other stoves (and price compared to other stoves, to a lesser extent).

While weight isn't a huge issue right now, I'd like to buy one so that when weight does become an issue I'm set and familiar with it. I'd consider buying another if the time came but trying to avoid that if possible.

I know the big advantages of JetBoils are the quick boil time and how good it works in the wind. Neither one of those are really important issues to me, so it makes sense to look into cheaper and lighter options.

Just curious what everyone uses and what you like/don't like about it.

pocket rocket could be a option for ya,,myself I just got the msr wind boiler.I think it could be used as a radiant heater in a pinch if needed.

I'm running a olicamp vector with xts stove combo. Very happy with it so far. Boils tap water in under 2 min. @ 850 ft elevation. I think I payed around $30 for it a couple years ago, but I see the price has gone up. I'd still by it again even at $50. I have a MSR Wisperlight for a backup. Its good to, but quite a bit heavier.

I have an MSR whisperlite and an MSR dragonfly. The dragonfly is my go to stove. I prefer liquid fuel stoves for versatility and their not sensitive to the cold. I do winter camp and I like not having to worry about canisters of compressed fuel.

The whisperlite is just a straight water boiling machine. The dragonfly will let you cook anything you want. I still use it to boil water very efficiently for my Mountain House meals, but its nice to be able to heat up soup or cook something that requires the adjustability of a conventional stove. I have two different fuel bottle sizes depending on length of the trip.

I would consider the Pocket rocket if I was looking to go very minimalist. I've heard great things there. I don't see the point of the Jet boils and similar designs, but lots of people like them.

MSR Dragonfly.
It always works with any fuel. I like white gas for my stoves,old fashioned.
I don't like throwing away stuff unless I really have to. Like toilet paper......

Last edited:
Due to my line of work, and my wife's as well, I have access to, and own a bunch of backpacking stoves. Currently, I have the Jetboil flash, MSR whisper light international, the MSR pocket rocket, and a cheapo Coleman dual fuel "backpacking" stove. The Coleman was the first stove I ever purchased, in an emergency, to cook food during a week long power outage. I've also used the MSR reactor and several of the Primus canister stoves. The Jetboil finds its way into my pack more than any other stove. It packs up well and is quiet in the pack, boils water like no other, and is reliable. I've used it below zero without issues and also above tree line. If going in a group, the whisperlite is king, and with a homemade simmer plate (16 gauge aluminum) you can cook soup, etc on it just fine. The pocket rocket is ok when going super fast and light, but I still prefer the way the Jetboil packs.
Jetboil pros: packs well, reliable, great for quick meals and coffee. Cons: no gourmet cooking
Whisperlite pros: multi fuel, burns in any temp/elevation, great for groups and gourmet cooking. Cons: weight, chance of fuel leakage (has never happened to me).

Just my .02.

Soto with a jet boil flash pot. I have 5 stoves. MSR Pocket Rocket and Whisper Lite International. Jet Boil Flash, Soto Micro, and another canister stove I don't recall the make. Depending on temps and time the liquid fuel may be a better option.

My least favorite stove is the Pocket Rocket. it uses twice as much fuel as the rest, and is not as stable. My usual go to is the Soto with a JB pt that has slots cut in it for the pot stand on the stove. It's the lightest most effecient setup I have. The Olicamp pot would be a good one to try with an stove. I just haven't broke down to buy onE. What I have works for me

I use this cheapo Chinese unit. Weighs 4 ounces and boils as fast as a Jetboil. Surprisingly durable. I have let a number of 12-13 year old boy scouts use it, they have even used it to cook food in a pan and started a fire with wet wood. I do have a piece of foil to use as a wind screen when its really blowing. Ships from China and takes about 3 weeks to make the trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Ba...lh_di_t_dup?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2V3SFI23MM4IJ

Jetboil Sol. Plenty for me and one other person. Can't see why I would need a larger one for backpacking.

Thanks for the replies guy, they definitely help me out!

For those of you using smaller stoves like the pocket rocket or vector, are you able to actually cook on them and not just boil water on them? That's another concern I had about the jetboil, just don't know if that's the same with the other stoves. I know there are different stoves more designed for that purpose, but it's more of a luxury than anything.

I think I've narrowed my list to the pocket rocket, jetboil flash, olicamp vector/XTS pot, or Optimus crux/weekend HE setup. Mostly positives on the former 3, but anyone have experience with the Optimus set up? Having two pots seems like a nice feature, just not sure how much I'd use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back