backpack

Ronin75

looking for information regarding two different hunting packs. Mystery Ranch crew cab/nice frame and Outdoorsman hunting pack. Good and bad of each would help me make my decision.

Thanks for any info

I've not used an Outdoorsman pack, so I can't comment on that.

I've used MR packs since 2008. They are built for hauling heavy loads. They are of excellent construction. The NICE frame is extremely comfortable, even if it weighs a little more than other frames. When I haul loads of elk, like I have the last two weeks, I want something that makes heavy loads as comfortable as a pack possibly can. I feel I get that from my MR.

I have two Crew Cabs, two Longbows, a V1 Metcalf, and two V2 Metcalfs. I find myself using the V2 Metcalfs almost exlusively. When not using those and wanting something with a flatter profile, I use my Longbows. The Crew Cabs are a great, versatile, all-around pack. Over the years, I've figured out enough of my specific needs that I seem to be using a V2 Metcalf as the "go to" solution.

Best of luck in your search.

I agree 100% with what Fin said. I have a crew cab and a longbow, and have moved a fair bit of meat in both. I will say for a straight meat hauler I really like the crew cab. I will actually bring both bags with and switch to the CC once something is down. I use the CC with the daypack lid and load cells for backpack hunting. I love being able to have my camp organized in the load cells, and then just collapse it down for a day pack. I had two quarters off a cow on my crew cab last week. It was pretty close to the road so I decided to let it buck. The crew cab kept them good and stable, still heavy though.

Research this site and forum, many questions asked and answered on this topic.
MR packs are heavy, but comfy! NICE frames allow you lots of flexibility. Sweet features with waist belt pockets, add-ons, etc.

Don't know about Outddoorsman.

Cannot have enough packs in my opinion. >BigFin is sitting on about $5-7k worth of backpacks, maybe he can let you try one on.

Rain covers. Maybe a bad on MR?, as it would be sweet to have an integrated waterproof cover to pull over when it gets nasty.
My old Alaskan pack has one I used a lot! Need to track a solution down for my 6500.

Look at Kifaru as well. I picked up a Highcamp/Bikini setup last year, and have put a lot of miles on it. Its packed a bunch of meat so far, along with a lots of camp.

I have a MR Crewcab and a 6500 collecting dust since I bought the Kifaru. For me it carries weight just as well or better, is a bit more adaptable for weird awkward loads, and is lighter. Cost is the same. I used MR for about 6-7 years before getting the Kifaru.

The MR Crew Cab is not my first choice for packing heavy loads, its great for a day pack or that first heavy load, but after that... I don't care for it at all. The 6500 is a much better option. Don't have any experience with the other smaller bags on the Nice frames MR makes.

No experience with the Outdoorsman.

Sorry, I don't own either brand but...

In the span of a week last year I bought every backpack the local Sportsman's Warehouse had in stock. I returned each one by one finally settling on the Eberlestock Just One. I've hunted with it since and have loved every bit of it. So far it has helped pack out a NV elk, two WY elk, a WY antelope and a Henry Mtns buffalo and hopefully I'll put it to use one last time this year after Thanksgiving.

My favorite part about this pack is the gun scabbard and how well it protects my rifle. My 10 lb rifle is a flat shooting tug boat but with this pack it feels like a featherweight.

A lot of MR fans on here. You might have to go elsewhere to find someone who has used the Outdoorsman packs.

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of MR. I have a Longbow/NICE frame. For day hunting its on the heavy side. With heavy loads, I just can't get a load to pack comfortably on it. My benchmark is a Cabelas external frame Alaskan pack. No matter what I try, that thing is still the best for load hauling, at least on my back.

Just my two cents.

Takeaway: you'll probably have to buy and sell - at a loss - several packs before you find the one you like.

I have both the crew cab and the outdoorsman, I haven't decided on which I like better yet. I have used the crew cab for a few years and am extremely happy with how it carries, although it is a bit heavy. I won the outdoorsman in a raffle this summer and have only used it on one scout trip, it carried very well and was comfortable, although the load wasn't that heavy. I keep thinking I'm going to sell it, but it rode very well and I want to give it a better evaluation, but I don't want to get it dirty if I'm going to sell it, so for now it just sits in the closet.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malaskabound20032000@yaho
Back