Backpack of choice?

streamer

Looking at getting a new backpack this year, just wandering what is going to be the best choice. I would like to spend no more than $350 Eberlystock has a day pack and Cabelas has a new Prestige 70L that I have looked at. Not looking for a large pack but one that will haul out game or heavy loads with good padding, I am not as thick skinned as some of you guys and what I have found is that my cheaper frame pack wares on my shoulders and shoulder blades, I added some egg shell on my last pack out for extra padding but need to invest in a new backpack.

I ran a kuiu ultra 6000 this year and won't be changing anytime soon. Avoid kuiu'so early years of packs if you go that route. A used Kifaru may fit the bill, or an exo may be a good one to look into. All of the above can be purchased with smaller bags that may be what you're looking for.

Badlands are good packs for the money. Yes, there are better packs....but you'll pay twice as much.

Last edited:
Badlands 2200. I've packed out more critters with this than I could count. Can carry everything you need for a daypack and even a few days spike hunting.

Horn hunter packs have been good to me. I have a full curl system that I also use backpacking in the summer. Wouldn't want to say they are the best but they are darn good for the money.

Hey guys, I know Alps is not anywhere near top of the heap for daypacks, but I was looking at the Traverse. Next year will be my first hunt out west and I don't want to sink too much into a pack that gets used for a single trip (at my age one trip is a possibility). There are lots of things that I need to invest in. What's your thoughts?

Eberlestock x2 is a reasonably priced day pack, and you can't beet the scabbard. Also the outdoorsman optics pack has plenty of storage and a good frame, have packed out whitetails to elk with it, of the 2 packs it is the most expensive but it is the most versatile and well worth every penny.

Hey guys, I know Alps is not anywhere near top of the heap for daypacks, but I was looking at the Traverse. Next year will be my first hunt out west and I don't want to sink too much into a pack that gets used for a single trip (at my age one trip is a possibility). There are lots of things that I need to invest in. What's your thoughts?

In my opinion a good daypack would be esential in any western hunt. The question is, what would get the job done for you. All game species have different needs, as well as hunt areas etc. For example a trespass hunt for antelope would be much different than a wilderness hunt for mule deer. That being said a hundred bucks or so will get you alot. Just make sure the straps are comfortable and the length is long enough so that the waist belt will take the load off your shoulders. My personal daypack is a cabelas elite scout pack, $135. It is sufficient for most of my hunting and has carried loads up to 45 lbs ok. But for bigger game than antelope or virginia whitetails I use my horn hunter. It doesn't sound like you could justify the money for a good meat hauling backpack. Again, I wouldn't say any of these are the best but they have been very reliable for me.

Here is a Traverse EPS in action. It's obviously not going to compete with the big guys, but you can't beat it for $107 to your door. Here it is with 70-75 pounds in it, very comfortable. I put 87 pounds of bear hyde and meat in it this spring on it's first outing, and I was impressed.

I think it's 3700 cu in expanded. It's not going to work as a backpacking pack, it's just not big enough. You could possibly do a 2-3 day backpack deer hunt with it if you have high end light compressible gear, but it wouldn't be ideal. But it's a solid day pack or for just hauling meat. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be packing another cow out with it.

I've also used one of the smaller badlands packs, it did great the one time I used it. I've heard great things about the full curls for a budget pack as well.

Attachments

• 10505340_10153330462023102_1793074886390434057_n.jpg
    10505340_10153330462023102_1793074886390434057_n.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:
I bought a Alps Outdoorz Traverse EPS just because the other gear I own made by them has been great and for $100 how could you go wrong? I was impressed with the comfort of the pack with 45lbs in it. I added a Kifaru Gunbearer for rifle hunting because any pack with the rifle on the back is just too clumsy IMO. I used it on two archery hunts this year and I have no complaints. Its a great day pack and holds my Swarovski STS 65, Slik tripod and a 3 legged stool on the outside compartments. I used the bow carrier that comes with the pack for packing in and out to my glassing spots and blinds each day and it works great. Three negatives on the Traverse. 1. The batwing compartments are too small for anything substantial. I could barely get my First Lite rain gear top in one and had no chance to get my rain bibs in the other, so they ended up in my main compartment. 2. The size of the meat hauler. I ate tag soup on my mule deer hunt and killed my elk so close to an ATV trail I didn't need to pack it, but I don't think I could get an average size boned out mule deer into it. It would be okay for a small load of elk meat and since I would be doing multiple loads with an elk, I would use my Kifaru for the heavy loads. I suppose I could empty out the main compartment and use both the main compartment and the expanded pack storage for meat on subsequent loads. 3. There is nothing to keep a heavy load from slipping down if you were to cinch it between the batwings. Something like the Kifaru Grab It is really necessary to make a heavy external item truly secure. The pack does keep the weight close to your back and doesn't let your load shift at all. The pack seems durable enough. I used it for 23 days, didn't baby it at all and it shows no signs of wear.

Short answer, its a good day pack for the money, but not perfect.

If I was younger and had more years to hunt, I would invest in the Kifaru Nomad. I think that pack is the perfect hunting pack and I have been extremely pleased with my Kifaru Spike Camp. With all the options I would want on it, the price on the Nomad is over $700.

I have a Badlands 2200. The lifetime warranty if what really sold me. I don't plan on switching packs very often, so the warranty was worth it to me. It's very solid, it would easily carry more weight than I could. I carried out a deer last year and I was very impressed with the way it carried. I'd buy it again given the chance.

I ran an original Kifaru long hunter for years until it got stolen. I switched to MR Nice and Crew cab and also purchased a long bow when it came out. I really liked the bags but the frame always caused me pain. I also run an Orange MR Sweet Pea at times when I know I can head back to the truck and get another pack if need be. I sold the MR Nice set up and went back to Kifaru and recently purchased the Nomad bag. So far this is my favorite configuration for Long day hunts. I have a Long Hunter bag if going over night. The Kifaru is way more comfortable for me compared to others I have tried and the Nomad is versatile like the Crew Cab

Pete

I don't understand why anyone would want a scabbard for a rifle on their back. It's about as inconvenient as can be. Especially when Kifaru makes a Universal Gunbearer that will work on virtually any pack.

Attachments

• B0000453 small.jpg
    B0000453 small.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 792

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back