MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backpack of choice?

I bought a outdoorsmans pack this spring. The size and versatility is very nice. I am happy with the performace the pack has given. I know they were on sale not to long ago but might not be anymore.

Hey guys, I know Alps is not anywhere near top of the heap for daypacks, but I was looking at the Traverse. Next year will be my first hunt out west and I don't want to sink too much into a pack that gets used for a single trip (at my age one trip is a possibility). There are lots of things that I need to invest in. What's your thoughts?
My thought is to get the best fitting pack. If it's one of the more expensive/popular brands, such as Kifaru or Mystery Ranch I doubt you'd have any trouble getting nearly all of your money back if you sell it. That said, if a less expensive pack fits you well and has the features you want. Get it. Lots of packs feel like they fit with a few pounds in them for a few minutes in a store....

Well I bought the Alps Traverse for little over $100. First inspection is that it is a decent pack. Really think it would work for my 1st elk hunt.

But it may not get a chance ...

Stopped in at local shop to talk new boots. Guy's specialty is fitting boots and I knew I wanted to get a great fitting boot for my trip. In the discussion he mentioned that he was getting out of the busy of selling packs and wanted to show me the Eberlestock Blue Widow. Continued to talk boots, etc. Then he offers to sell me the Blue Widow for ... $225. Every where I checked its a $340+ pack. Couldn't pass it up. If I don't like it I can easily get my money back.

KUIU 1850 is in that range & you can always find a used MR on archerytalk or another forum. Also I've got family with a Badlands 4500...they love it and have needed the warranty. It's been great.

I would save up a bit more and get a used mystery ranch, kifaru, or stone glacier. All can be had for around $400 or cheaper used depending on the model and they will last a lot longer.

I know Big Fin loves his Mystery Ranch packs, I use an Eberlestock X1, and my brother uses the team Elk from Eberlestock, and we love them. best thing to do is try out as many packs as you can to see what fits you the best.

Kifaru all the way. Most comfortable pack I used carrying a load. The belt actually holds the weight like it's supposed to, keeps the weight off of your shoulder. Go with the Duplex frame and then the bag of your choice. I personally use the Timberline.

Eberlestock X2

I like the Eberlestock X2. Good size day pack that is beefy enough to haul out an elk quarter.

E-stock J104.
Had it for years. I even use it on daytrips. Great pack,very comfortable and able to haul more than I can carry now.
The scabbard carries more than a rifle. Tripods,scopes,poles....
I carry my rifle in my hands while hunting,with a Safari sling.

I don't understand why anyone would want a scabbard for a rifle on their back. It's about as inconvenient as can be. Especially when Kifaru makes a Universal Gunbearer that will work on virtually any pack.

Two mountain goat hunts in steep nasty stuff make me a believer of the rifle centered along the back in a scabbard. My core strength is not what it was as a younger man so not fighting an unbalanced pack load and protecting the scope and rifle while climbing works for me.

On prairie hunts I do not mind the rifle off to my side.

If possible, go to a large hunting show where you can try on a few brands and sizes. They will have sand bags so you can see what it feels to carry 20 pounds, 60 pounds etc. I got a Mystery Ranch in 2009 at a show and was fitted to my back and waist there in the booth. There are lighter packs than MR though I have had over 100 pounds on my back several times and for several miles and those times were not fun but my shoulders never got sore.

I have a Eberletstock Blue Widow that I use for both my frame pack and my dayback. It's an okay pack in my opinion. It doesn't perform well when loaded down though. It doesn't equal the price tag in terms of performance.

I have a Kifaru Longhunter but, without exception, my go-to pack for elk and deer hunting is my Eberlestock J34 "Just One" pack. The Longhunter has a better suspension system and can probably carry weight more comfortably, but my Eberlestock is more versatile. It is a decent day pack and a great multi-day pack. It is a good pack for carrying up to about 60 to 70 lbs.

I use the Gun Bearer on every pack even my Sweet Pea. Kifaru just came out with a new pack that has an integrated Rifle scabbard and load carrying sling built in between the pack and frame.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back