MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backpack list help

Wow, ALOT of great wisdom shared here on this thread. This will be helpful to me for hunting and backpacking. Thank you all and Good Luck to Outdoor Junkie/Canoe Country. A positive attitude brings positive results. You're on the right track. Please let us know how your hunt turns out.

I have experience with ketosis, it landed me in the hispital because I'm diabetic. I think a lot of people think ketisis is a joke because of the atkins diet. Not sating it can't be done for short periods without long term health risks but I don't understand the risk reward of making your body digest itself.

Great thread, tons of info, thanks guys!

For your training, I second the recommendation to go lighter on your training pack. It's not a bad idea to throw on 80 pounds on occasion and walk on the treadmill, just don't do it very often.

Also, a MUCH better workout is to put 40 pounds in your pack and do step ups onto a weight bench for 45 minutes or so. This is a great workout for your legs, much more so than walking on the treadmill because your legs are doing both eccentric and concentric work, which is what beats you up in the mountains.

I would only do this one or two days a week. The other days, mix in some biking, running, and other cardio work. If you have it, Insanity or P90X3 are great workout programs to get you in shape.

Try to do one day a week where you work out (bike, jog, speed hike w/pack) for 90 minutes or longer. This will get your body used to burning fat for energy instead of just utilizing its available blood glucose.

That keto-adaptation doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

Thanks Guys! I'll definitely do the step ups. It he 50 pound bag of rock salt on the treadmill is great for cardio and some strength, but the step ups would really build the quads and calf muscles. I've also got the p90x, but it's collected dust for a few years. Time to get back on that.

This is going to be a blast !

Chuck

Back