Caribou Gear Tarp

Backpack hunting gear for kids

Love this thread. Check out the brand Reima - our 4 year old and 1 year old practically live in their "outdoor jumpsuits" all winter. They have good rainsuits/waterproof shells as well.

Also, hand warmers and toe warmers always come in handy.

Keep us posted on your hunts!

Creating this thread for a reference of gear for backpack hunting with kids. Im looking for recommendations for my soon to be 5 year old kid, but would like to hear about what gear works, and what doesnt, for all ages of kids.

My boy is already set on going with me and pretends to hunt constantly. He proved himself this year when I took him on a truck camping hunt. He woke up early, hiked as far as he could, and never complained. For all purposes his hunt was more successful than mine - he “shot” an elk, deer, and antelope. Most of my best spots are around 3-5 miles in and he can make that trip one way no problem. With rest and food, Im sure he can hunt from there and be able to hike back out too.

I will probably need to get new clothes and boots for him for next season but the cheap amazon stuff I got this year worked great. I have family and friends to pass it down to so Im not worried about buying more.

Gear from this year:

Merrell Chameleon 7 Boots - highly impressed with these boots for him. Velcro closure so he can put them on himself. Waterproof, rugged, comfy.

Basic amazon synthetic pants, shirt, soft shell jacket, base layer, wool socks, gloves, beanie. Fleece sweatshirt and a syn puffy - he was just barely warm enough at 30*. He already had some of this stuff so including the $60 boots, I was only in around $120. Wish my clothing/boots were that cheap lol. Also got him a hunter orange thin fabric vest for safety for $5. Rain gear - figure cheap frogg toggs if it comes down to it, or sit him out for those days?

Next year Im looking at a nest for the tipi for him and Ill use my bivy. Will hand down my sleeping pad to him and get a better one for me.

One recommendation I could use is for a kids sleeping bag, preferably made with down, under 2lbs, and not over $150 hopefully - 30* range. He is only 3’6” tall right now so something short that he can grow into would be nice. Figure he will need a whole new setup by age 8 or 9 and again in his teens. My daughter and friends will get hand me downs.

The other recommendation I could use is for a pack. Thinking something not too beefy, but big enough for basics. One I have my eye on is the Osprey Ace 38 kids pack. Its a granola eating type pack but light weight. He weighs 40lbs so 25% of bodyweight to carry is 10lbs. I only expect him to carry his water, snacks, and layers. As he gets older, add his sleep system. Again, past 8 years old, a bigger pack and keep the old one for the next kiddo.

5 years old may seem kind of young to some people but he has gone above and beyond my expectations. I feel like hes capable, willing, and its up to me to get him ready. Thanks in advance for the help and I hope this thread helps other people start em young in the future too.

Wyatt: Day 4, over a mile deep, up before dawn daily. Packing out a “deer” in this pic.
View attachment 248550

Priceless hunting with my father and my son.
View attachment 248549

Future hunts with him will always be successful if he enjoys being out there as much as I do. When we get our first animal together it will be the cherry on top.
Nice work Dad! I’m following this thread to get tips for my two boys as well

We got a sleeping bag at Sierra trading post that is for kids up to 5 foot tall. Really small to pack. Smaller than loaf bread in stuff sack it comes in. I throw in a small kids fleece blanket also.
Why would you two sleep separate? For a kid that might get scary and blow the whole thing up

@Falcon75 Was thinking of taking a thin fleece blanket just in case. Definitely don’t want him being cold.

As for sleeping separate, I just dont have a floored tent for backpacking anymore. Plan was to take one of the tipis, and we wont need the stove in fair weather. Doubt he will come with me in bad weather. Id prefer if I could get him to be in a bivy next to mine, but would settle for an insert. Bugs arent really an issue, the rare spider just crawls over you. But for a kid? We shall see. I live in the forest so I may have to do a few test camping trips in the backyard after it stops snowing. I appreciate that insight, its a possibilty I had not considered that could end a trip.

@MADGRZ thanks will check out that brand

I splurged and got my son a feathered friends down bag when his was 4 - (soon to be 7) mostly cause I am the one carrying stuff. Great for backpacking and we have done some pretty cold truck camping as well so it’s nice to know he’s warm down to some pretty cold temps and I will be able to pass it down to his sister when he grows out of it. Hope to get him on his first multi night backpacking trip this year. He usually impressed me with what he can do - as long as his mood is good. I don’t think it’s a physical challenge for kids, just a mental game as they don’t have any desire to grind it out like us. But when he gets “tired” and we rest then he’s still just running around.

Attachments

• A31C3E4C-94D5-433B-8A88-D168BD1EC62E.jpeg
    A31C3E4C-94D5-433B-8A88-D168BD1EC62E.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • ED202938-6491-4042-8E74-B21FD9993967.jpeg
    ED202938-6491-4042-8E74-B21FD9993967.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Thats awesome @Deckerp !!! Thats a nice bag for a kid. Id love to upgrade my sons’s bag too, but I decided to do mine first. He will get my hand me down kelty cosmic 20* bag and my old sleeping pad. I got myself a 20* quilt from hammock gear, and will get the new xtherm nxt before our first camping/scouting trip.

For his birthday, my parents were awesome and splurged a bit on a backpack for him. They got him the osprey ace 38L. Its just barely too big on his waist but it will work great! I started putting together a gear list for him so I know what weighs what, what he can carry, and what I will carry. We will work on taking him up to 10 lbs of weight (25% of his body weight). He also got a headlamp and fire starter for his birthday - what every 5 year old needs.
2AFF1512-1BEA-4608-A754-2F1E833A3419.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome. My son just has the rei Tarn 12. Real little but he does like to be able to carry a few things. At this point I am still just focused on making it as fun as possible to be out so I don’t care if he Carrie’s anything if he doesn’t want to. I haven’t really taken him on any serious hunts yet mostly just backpacking. We actually did bump an elk with my bow at 30 yards but unfortunately he didn’t see it.

Have you done any multi night backpacking with him yet? We have done six nights or so in row truck camping but only 1 night backpacking so far.

We have car camped with a tent for 5 days, and did a hunt out of the travel trailer for 4 days. He just turned 5 so this year will be our first real backpacking attempts. Still working on potty training at night so should be interesting lol. But when he was 4 we did a test hike from home into the forest with him carrying 5 lbs in a toy backpack, and he hiked 3 miles doing 500’ of elevation in 2 hours. During the hunt he did 2-3 miles each morning for 4 days, never complained once.

Figure he can make it to a few spots I have in mind quite easily if we take our time. Will go early season for fun before we try a hunt since its by a lake we can fish at. Will mainly have him carry his own water, snacks, and a few pieces of clothing. Im with you on making it fun for them and Im lucky that my boy is self entertaining.

@Deckerp How did your one night backpacking go? Distance, activity? Tips? Im really excited to introduce him to what I do and hes all for it so far.

We have car camped with a tent for 5 days, and did a hunt out of the travel trailer for 4 days. He just turned 5 so this year will be our first real backpacking attempts. Still working on potty training at night so should be interesting lol. But when he was 4 we did a test hike from home into the forest with him carrying 5 lbs in a toy backpack, and he hiked 3 miles doing 500’ of elevation in 2 hours. During the hunt he did 2-3 miles each morning for 4 days, never complained once.

Figure he can make it to a few spots I have in mind quite easily if we take our time. Will go early season for fun before we try a hunt since its by a lake we can fish at. Will mainly have him carry his own water, snacks, and a few pieces of clothing. Im with you on making it fun for them and Im lucky that my boy is self entertaining.

@Deckerp How did your one night backpacking go? Distance, activity? Tips? Im really excited to introduce him to what I do and hes all for it so far.
The first trip with him he was 4 (but reliably potty trained at night I think). I had picked out a spot about 1.5miles in, fairly flat getting there but with some off trail to make it more interesting. Went well - but I think getting there took less time than I expected and just hanging around there before bedtime did feel hard - at least to me. So on subsequent trips I have tried to time it to have less time before bed and on a multi day my plan will be to move to a new spot and do some kinda longer loop hike.

We went back to that spot another couple times. Did a trip about 3.5 miles in that was kinda an excuse for me to scout a new area before season the way in was pretty good and on the way out he pretty much smoked me haha and my heavy pack.

The last one we did was 3-4miles with 1700’ of vertical gain and a wicked steep section and he crushed that part. I have since discovered that surprisingly he does way better on really steep stuff. On a flat trail we just drag a lot of the time. But on a steep uphill he goes almost just as fast as I would go without him. We average about 1mph on most hikes in general - so very slow. The longest day hike he has done was just under 6 miles when he was 5 but that was a slot canyon loop in Utah so definitely some good excitement factor. Generally the first mile I hear the most complaints and then he gets into a groove and has always been excited to go on the trips and super positive about it all - BUT there’s always sections where he is whining for a time.

For hiking if I can get him talking and distracted he just goes and it’s easy. Making up games can be a good way to keep it fun. And of course lots of snacks - usually special stuff we don’t normally eat. We share the SG sky air ult with the mesh insert - so nice and cozy. He hasn’t had any problems sleeping out there but has said he doesn’t wanna do it without the insert so far. Definitely helps the cozy factor.

I was kinda intimidated before taking him the first time. But after doing it a time or two it didn’t seem like as big of a deal in my mind.

Big Agnes duster or little red are kid size adjustable so not all The empty space at their feet. 15f rated

My kids love ‘em.

Thanks for starting this thread I’m gonna copy some things
One recommendation I could use is for a kids sleeping bag, preferably made with down, under 2lbs, and not over $150 hopefully - 30* range. He is only 3’6” tall right now so something short that he can grow into would be nice. Figure he will need a whole new setup by age 8 or 9 and again in his teens. My daughter and friends will get hand me downs.

I second Reima our kids have same. It’s amazing with rain boots and ankle straps tight he laid in a foot deep Puddle at 40f temp and didn’t get wet or cold. Basically submerged his body beside head
Love this thread. Check out the brand Reima - our 4 year old and 1 year old practically live in their "outdoor jumpsuits" all winter. They have good rainsuits/waterproof shells as well.

Also, hand warmers and toe warmers always come in handy.

Keep us posted on your hunts!

Thats a really nice pack. Customizable too, good find. USA made and lifetime warranty + repairs. One n done right there.

Yeah I wasn’t planning on getting my boy a pack just yet but that one might be the one when I do.

If my boy didnt already love the osprey, Id look at that one for sure. Once my littlest one is ready to inherit his osprey, maybe ill build him a custom one of those. The quality on that would easily blow the competition out of the water and the price difference is minimal really. I just like that he could really grow with it and parts are replaceable. The osprey is ages 5-11 and its waist belt is permanent. Shoulders are adjustable but thats it.

If I end up with one I will let you know how it is. My hope would be that with changing waist belts it could take him all the way until he was big enough to get the small exo pack - figures crossed his is still hooked by then.

If my boy didnt already love the osprey, Id look at that one for sure. Once my littlest one is ready to inherit his osprey, maybe ill build him a custom one of those. The quality on that would easily blow the competition out of the water and the price difference is minimal really. I just like that he could really grow with it and parts are replaceable. The osprey is ages 5-11 and its waist belt is permanent. Shoulders are adjustable but thats it.
My son said he was ready so I got him one. We did an awesome three night/4 day trip and he carried it the whole time with his sleeping bag, food for the day and water. No complaints though he looks a little small for it and doesn’t like the waist belt tight through to put weight there. I also wish the shoulder straps were more sloping - though we supposedly did get the sloping ones they seem very flat. That might be because they are adjusted all the way down and go behind the back padding. At first on some shake down hikes he complained about the head clearance/lack of but I guess got used to that. Once he gets a bit taller that will stop being an issue. His total weight was 5lbs or less. Putting his sleeping bag in without a sack was nice cause it filled out the bag and made it look full which I think he liked. Plus it saved me the bulk from my bag. We did about 1500’ and 2-3miles each day, basically all off trail. It was a blast!

IMG_5774.jpegIMG_5804.jpeg

Awesome @Deckerp glad the hike was a success! Thats some good mileage and elevation you guys covered. Opening day for us is in 2 weeks so I am getting packs together. I like the idea of filling out his pack with a sleeping bag. Pack looks like it fits him well.

Ill give a trip report once we get our first hunt in and shake down his gear. It will be a short 2 nighter at a spot I know. Easy 2 mile hike only gaining 600' on trail.

We are just a few days out from my son's first opening day backpacking trip! Wish I could have taken him backpacking first, but after his performance last year, Im not worried. I picked an easy hike and hunt for him like I said before, a few miles and not a huge amount of elevation. We hunt close to camp too which is nice. Deer arent bothered by people in the camp or on trail because its a popular spot. They are just very weary if you leave either of those areas.

Ill give an update and full gear break down once we are back. Expecting thunderstorms, rain, and a little more cold than normal so had to find rain gear last minute, plus pack a few extra layers for him. Brought more food than usual too.

Bonus to the hunt, we are camping by a lake so will be doing some fishing too. Introducing him to a fly rod will come one day when I can get one for his size.

We are just a few days out from my son's first opening day backpacking trip! Wish I could have taken him backpacking first, but after his performance last year, Im not worried. I picked an easy hike and hunt for him like I said before, a few miles and not a huge amount of elevation. We hunt close to camp too which is nice. Deer arent bothered by people in the camp or on trail because its a popular spot. They are just very weary if you leave either of those areas.

Ill give an update and full gear break down once we are back. Expecting thunderstorms, rain, and a little more cold than normal so had to find rain gear last minute, plus pack a few extra layers for him. Brought more food than usual too.

Bonus to the hunt, we are camping by a lake so will be doing some fishing too. Introducing him to a fly rod will come one day when I can get one for his size.
Love this thread! I am ordering the ULA pack for my son now for his first tag. The big thing that won me over was the weight and weight capacity. The ULA is a lb lighter and is rated to 30lbs while a lot of the other comparable kids packs are only rated for 10-15 (deuter) and 15-25(osprey). I’m guessing a little stiffer pack will be helpful. I started my son fly fishing with a Tenkara rod which worked out really well. Taking line management out of the equation was really helpful for him and those long Tenkara rods make casting pretty easy for kids even when they have to double hand it like a spey rod. You also can’t go wrong with a 5-6ft ultralight spinning rod and spinners. I switched ours over to Sufix braid two years ago with a Fluoro tippet and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Has probably reduced line tangling problems by 90% which is amazing for kids.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back