Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

BackPack Camping/ Hunting in Wyoming

smccrory

I have been doing some research on hunting Elk in Wyoming. I also have found the hunting at the trail heads is something I shouldn't do because it can be very packed with other hunters. So my plan is to backpack farther into the area to get some better hunting and hunting alone. The problem is that a lot of the research that I have done is only talking about camping out of your truck or very close by. So what I am looking for is some ideas on what I should get for gear, and also trying to figure out what things I should bring for a long term 15 dayish camp with two people.

Realistically the big items would be good tent that weighs 3lbs or less per person, a 30-15 degree bag thats 3 lbs or less,a thermarest, Jetboil stove and a good backpack like a Mystery Ranch Metcalf or similar.

Clearly there are other things but that is more or less the core of it.

+1 what Flatland Crusoe stated.

If you want to cut a little more weight, use a good "backpack" backpack. The Mystery Ranch is "heavy", but they are built for hauling heavy loads. The new Mystery Ranch packs may weigh a little less than the "older" model I have (just the bag and NICE frame = 7 lbs).

I am also looking for ideas on what I should bring for food. Not really sure what to do for that amount of time for food. I am also looking for ideas on tents and sleeping backs because I can't bring a wall tent due to the fact that I have to hike in about 3 miles from the closet road

Plus thanks for the help so far, plus thanks for the link to the list because that has helped a lot.

Doing a 15 day backpack hunt is doable but needs some meticulous planning. Depending on how far you are hiking in, I would consider doing multiple trips on the day you hike in to bring everything you need for that long of a hunt. 15 days worth of food can get pretty heavy. Or, like others have said, break the trip up into 2 parts. Also be sure that you'll be camping near a source of water to avoid having to carry in tons of H2O. Check out http://soleadventure.com for some more info. There is a whole spreadsheet with all the gear he brings for a weeklong hunt and how much everything weighs. Should give you an idea of what to expect. Sounds like a sweet adventure!

I don't post much but I saw this and hope I can help you out. I've backpacked and mountaineered a lot in the west, and done 10 multiple night backpack hunts since moving to WY three years ago, on top of a pile of "hike all night, get home at dawn" hunts.

First, going backpack hunting is not the time to figure out backpacking. Unless living out of a pack is second nature, you will waste a lot of time figuring out logistics and looking after yourself instead of being behind the glass.

Second, WY hunters are not the most ambitious in the world, but they nearly all have horses. Last fall on a solo backpack hunt I was 11 miles from the trailhead, way off trail, and had company on horses. Mileage from the trailhead is only one factor that can reduce hunter pressure.

Also, there may not be a trail up mountain drainage X, but you can bet some guy drug his mule up there. There are exceptions to this, but they are very few for terrain that holds elk.

Gear is very relative, and don't let marketing sway you. Read mountaineering blogs, Andy Kirkpatrick is great, backpackinglight.com, etc. as ways to get outside perspectives on gear that puts function first. If you understand how waterproof membranes, footwear structure, tent designs, baffles, down fill power, synthetic insulations, different stove designs etc. all work you will be able to figure out what works for you, and most importantly why.

Finally, I think backpack hunting in the high country is the most rewarding style of hunting by far. WY is unique in that you can do it in September and early October with a rifle on a general tag. I will likely hunt out of a backpack as my primary expenditure of hunting days until my body won't do it.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: trb
backpack hunting

I would caution you about diving right in and attempting a 2 week backpack hunt! My biggest word of advice would be head out to Wyo, Montana, or where ever on a week summer backpack trip....and bring your fishing rod! You will find out in a hurry that you are likely packing way more gear than you really need and also ways of lightening your load....or adding gear that you may be missing. You may also find out that 4 or 5 days in the back country can be pretty difficult if the weather is bad and you aren't equipped with the right clothes and gear!

thanks guys for all the good info. I think we might try to camp out of the truck by the trail head and just hike in after what you guys are saying. I think that might just be the best way to do it as being new to backpack hunting

I planned on backpack hunting this past season but ended up hunting from the truck because I ended up being solo and hadn't backpacked hunted before. I would recommend bringing backpacking gear in case you find animals and want to wake up closer to where they are. You can return to your truck, gear up, and spend a night out. You can even plan so you don't have to bring cooking equipment. Something to think about especially if you have that much time to hunt.

To be honest, if you know this little about backpacking/camping, I'm not sure I'd try to combine a backpacking trip with an elk hunt. You may be better off just car camping and hiking in 2-3 miles every day.

To be honest, if you know this little about backpacking/camping, I'm not sure I'd try to combine a backpacking trip with an elk hunt. You may be better off just car camping and hiking in 2-3 miles every day.

I kind of agree with this statement. I have been doing wilderness camping for almost 20 yrs and I was more apprehensive about a backcountry backpack elk hunt this past fall. It was my first time doing a backpack hunt and it certainly required a lot of logistics and I already owned all the gear.

If neither you nor your buddy have experience with this type of cmaping, I assure you it will be a steep learning curve.

That being said, I would NEVER discourage anyone from trying out the method. Many people will say "Whats the worst thing that could happen?" and there is a long list, but if you're cautious, and you are feeling like the like the backpack hunt isnt working for you, then you can back out and camp near the trailhead like everyone else and practice your backpacking skills at the trailhead.

I actually did the opposite because I was nervous about hunting from a backpack camp because of some of the work needed to maintain a camp. My buddy and I hunted form teh truck for two days then spent the last 3 days hunting two miles up the trail. It worked out well.

One more important thing to remember since it seems you are somewhat of a novice is to know where you're hunting. Many of the places that allow you to hunt miles from the road may be wilderness and Non-residents are not allowed to hunt on wilderness without a guide or resident party member. Know the lands you plant to hunt on.

Buying gear for a backpack hunt can get very expensive so watch for deals, used items, etc. I'd suggest not packing in 15 days worth of gear since that is a lot of stuff. Instead split the trip and have a refuel in the middle. Possibly go to town for a shower, flushing toilet, and a bed for a day.
[/URL]

I went with a buddy last year, who has been doing exactly what Mthuntr said above, and it was perfect. That break after the first week is well worth it! Plus, you're taking half the weight of your food when packing in. Spare no expense on getting quality light weight gear. I may post out very detailed pack list to give you an idea of the essentials.
My buddy has been doing this 2 week backcountry trip from NC to MT for 22 years, and had really worked out all the bugs.

I might suggest not camping at the trail head and hiking up from there everyday. A lot of other guys may be doing the same. Instead go back down the canyon and find a side drainage to hike up everyday. This may significantly reduce the amount of other hunters compared to some of the busier trail heads.

I just want you guys to know that I have been hiking back country camping since i was 18 which was 12 years ago, I just have never hunted while doing that? Thank you for all the info you guys have given me. I just think it will be better to stay by the truck even though everything I read says the best kind of hunts are farther in where most people don't hike to because of their inability to hike in.

if you have hiking in the back country you will be fine to hunt in the back country I would say. I do a lot of back pack hunting here in New Zealand and find it the most enjoyable and challenging way to hunt. I must admit that we do use helicopters occasionally :)

If you want the nz version of what to pack check this out - http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1252746841.

if your just going in 3 miles or so from the nearest road,i would suggest maybe just go in for about 4 days at a time,then back to the truck to resupply,that should reduce your pack weight per trip and you could adjust as you go.

If you're an experienced camper, then the gear does not change. The planning will be more about deciding how much time you willl be in camp. In a week long trip, I think we only napped at camp once. We hunted sun up to sundown all the other days. It wasn't a constant hunt, but very few returns to camp during the day. If you're comfortable doing it, then hike in. Even if yhou go in 1 miles. Thats 1 miles ahead of all the trailhead hunters.

Be realistic too.
An elk is not a deer.
And IMHO if your alone 5-10 mi in ,the meat will spoil before you get it out,unless it's snowing.
Alone as in solo,me ,myself,&I.
I ,like Snowy, have spent a few days packing in.
Good advice here from all.
Drop camp and pack animals to get meat out would be on my list.
And not being familiar with the whole WY,the NR w/outfiitter deal, talking to WY G&F & an outfitter would be on my list, after a kind PM to a WY HTer

I spike camp from my truck if need be,away from trails & trailheads.
Many a time I have glassed elk from a ridge right above camp in the next canyon with freeway traffic going by to the trailhead or truck hunters on the road behind me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back