Backpack advise

I like slicing my fun into pieces, and packing them out one painful load at a time.

The MRCC is not the way to go when it comes to packing heavy loads, at least for me, but I'm a bigger guy. The 6500 packs way, way better.

Is it me, or does anyone else have the itch to go chase big dumb animals? For some reason I have a love-hate relationship with moose.

Attachments

• P1020060.jpg
    P1020060.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 865
  • DSCN0588.jpg
    DSCN0588.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 875
  • DSCN0642.jpg
    DSCN0642.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Is it me, or does anyone else have the itch to go chase big dumb animals? For some reason I have a love-hate relationship with moose.

It's picts. like yours and this one that keep me thinking that only a moose close to a road is a good idea. It just looks painful:eek: And for those that have never tried to walk in that type of terrain imagine walking on a waterbed with bushes growing on it to trip you up. And the fact that it can weigh up to 180 pounds a load. Good luck to Fin and crew this year they will experience first hand and hopefully get to document the fun on film.
IMG_1080mooseedit.jpg

Here is how I would break it down IMO:

There are two areas that I see as weakness, and some are personal due to body type. If you want to achieve shoulder lift with the Nice frame and you are over 6', its pretty tough. To do that you have to be using one of the Expedition labeled pack bags, such as the 6500. The Crew Cab rules the roost around here, but I could never use that for load hauling as all of the weight will be on my shoulders at 6'5" and how it throws the weight way behind you rather than up. Same goes for the Longbow, or any MR pack that doesn't have the additional load lifters. If I'm a tall guy, such as I am buying a MR, well it would be the 6500, and cinch it down as far as possible for day use. This gives me shoulder lift and load hauling capabilities.
This is the sole reason I don't own an MR Nice Frame. If it had true load lifters I'd be all in.

Great reviews sreekers. I am looking hard at MR and Kifaru atm, being 5' 9" would you say the MR NICE frame would be a goer. The Kifaru AG1 suits my needs perfectly and I am ver big on frame systems being able to breath. I am also considering the Eberlestock Warhammer, as there is an ALICE frame but the wearer is able to adjust torso length, anyone used 1?

Bambistew - while I personally have never hiked out a moose quarter, as I would like to maintain my ability to walk for the remainder of the animal! I have seen photos of fellow hunters doing this. I have hauled out elk quarters without any issues or complaints.

sreekers - great list of summaries and insight on packs

Unfortunately, I am not built like some of you. I am vertically deficient at 5'8"...

Great reviews sreekers. I am looking hard at MR and Kifaru atm, being 5' 9" would you say the MR NICE frame would be a goer. The Kifaru AG1 suits my needs perfectly and I am ver big on frame systems being able to breath. I am also considering the Eberlestock Warhammer, as there is an ALICE frame but the wearer is able to adjust torso length, anyone used 1?

Are you considering the AG1 for it's ability to hold the pack in place on armor? Or just the bag on a duplex frame?

The panel loader design entices me as well. Have never used one, but can see the benefit.

For those of you trying to decied which pack to get, Mystery Ranch will pack as much weight as you can handle. I have the 6500 and the very versitile crew cab which is in the pictures.

Attachments

• B zone 2011 011 (800x600).jpg
    B zone 2011 011 (800x600).jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 815
  • photo (3) (598x800).jpg
    photo (3) (598x800).jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 1,599
I second the eberlestock warhammer recommendation. I got one awhile back and can't believe how versatile and comfortable it really is. I personally feel that the integrated ALICE frame really helps when packing out heavy loads (quarters) vs. a regular internal frame. Plus, unlike many of eberle's packs the warhammer doesn't have the mesh compartment which allows a guy to load up a wider range of load size and shape,and its easier to clean. Hope this helps.

You can pick up a dana designs terraplane on ebay for around $200.....They are great packs and comfortable. Dana Gleason designed, and around 5500 ci.

I haven't heard anyone mention the stone glacier packs. I dont have any stake in this but I got one of these from a friend of mine this year. I think it is a great pack. I will try to post some pics if I can find some.
I like the waist belt because it has the ability to add holsters or other things to the belt that wont fit on the belts of MR and others.
I have owned badlands (didnt like it at all)
Eberlestock (too heavy)
MR (great pack but heavy for my use and the belt couldnt carry what I wanted)

The stone glacier is very light but tough. It wouldnt be my pick for packing a moose quarter but my pick for packing a moose quarter wouldnt work for the other 99 percent of the time I am out hunting.
I used this as a day pack or extended day pack for MT antelope, deer and elk hunts all season this year. Best pack I have ever used for what I need the pack for. I use it for carrying all my gear including some extra insulation (I get cold when I glass or watch high meadows) and to pack out meat, or at least the first load till I can come back with a full frame pack.
I dont know the web site but its easy to find if you search for stone glacier pack.

Last edited:
I have the blue widow as well, its a great pack, however the biggest nock on it for me is the lack of pouches. I know you can add them to it but it is a bit on the small side for pouches and when the middle long zipper is up the two center compartments do not expand much. Other than that it is a great pack and rides great when hiking, or riding a quad.

Never been a fan of the MRCC. It's just a weird ass design. That said, they have a bunch of others to choose from. After using a Longbow all season I'd recommend MR in a heartbeat.

mhungerford,

I had heard the name KUIU but for some reason did not look into it. I did not realize that this was Jason Hariston's (former Sitka originator) new venture. They have some pretty cool stuff. There line of products has me thinking......I'm a big sitka fan, or at least of the clothing. not their packs. Don't get me wrong, the pack as sweet looking and functional, but I'm not sure they will hold up to what I put my current pack (badlands 4500) through.

I had a Sitka Bivy 30 bag a couple years back. The largest load I put in it was about half of a boned out deer and bear hide in one trip. It handeled the haul ok but the shoulder straps dug into my shoulders bad because the waiste belt straps would not stay tight. I did notice after cleaning the pack that some of the seams looked to be stressed. Couple other complaints were the straps holding the lid would slide down the side of the pack and the removable straps were simply hooked on with no lock and I lost one of the straps becuase of it.

To Sitkas credit though, I spoke to them about my issues and they said to send in the pack and they sent me a newer model that addressed most of the issues I had. I wanted a MR pack at that point anyways so I sold the new Sitka pack to a friend. I think he is happy with it but at the same time, it's not the same bag as an MR. I'm sure if I let him borrow my Longbow, he would want to trade.

REI, cant get cammo but they have a great selection and lots of experience with fitting. i use an osprey day pack thats awesome comfortable and a large gregory for several-day trips. best part is if you pay the $20 one time lifetime membership fee, you can take that pack back (or anything you buy there for that matter) anytime for any reason and get your full purchase price back no questions asked. unbelievable customer service. buy some cammo material and throw over it if its that important.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back