Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Backcountry Fuel Box

MTGomer

A lot of people post on here and elsewhere looking for food lists or different ideas.
I’ve been finding different and better things to eat lately, so I thought I’d share with the crowd the ‘Backcountry Fuel Box’.

This is a monthly subscription box that costs around $30. Every month in the mail comes a box full of different kinds of backpacking type foods. Some you’ve heard of, like a meal of the various brands of dehydrated dinners, and some you absolutely had no idea existed.
I think on its own you are getting your moneys Worth in food, but the real value is finding new things you like that you haven’t tried or didn’t know about.
Every box come with information and a discount code to the various products in it.

A few of my favorites so far are:
Pillihunters; a nut from the Philippines that is around 200+cal/Oz

Voke tabs: like tums w/caffeine

Peak Refuel meals: better than he more popular brands

Packmunk cookies: better than your mother in law’s cookies

If you’re tired of eating the same old salty stale like I was, I think you’ll like it.

As per some other dehydrated meals, do you find the "2 serving" size of Peak sorta like 1+? With more real ingredients I could see it being more filling I guess.

I want to try it. I like to look for different food to take. My biggest thing is it has to taste good sitting on the couch watching tv, if I like it on the couch I will like it in the field.

As per some other dehydrated meals, do you find the "2 serving" size of Peak sorta like 1+? With more real ingredients I could see it being more filling I guess.

Snowy
The peak meals are definitely filling and depending on your appetite and hunger they can be 2 servings easily. IMO they are wayyyyy better than MH and taste great. The breakfast skillet is delicious and the Alfredo is also amazing.
I usually split breakfast between a buddy or 2 and bring tortillas and make burritos. Plan to mix a breakfast skillet with MH biscuits and gravy this season to try out also.

Thanks for that answer. My concern is that I almost exclusively hunt alone, so a dinner too big to finish is wasted and I don't usually cook breakfast. I do sometimes eat a hot meal in the afternoon though, in which case I could finish it later in the day.

Thanks for that answer. My concern is that I almost exclusively hunt alone, so a dinner too big to finish is wasted and I don't usually cook breakfast. I do sometimes eat a hot meal in the afternoon though, in which case I could finish it later in the day.

I certainly didn’t find it to be too much to eat for one person.
I had the chicken Alfredo for lunch Sunday.

How many meals/items come in each box? At $30 it is tempting...

I get it each month. We've done YouTube vids about it. We love it. It surely has added a lot more variety to our backcountry options.

This month's was the best so far. Almost everything in it was on our keep list. That doesn't happen every month but were building a list of things we like. The peak meals are winners.

Awesome news I just received some peak meals this week so I will have to try them out. I also ordered a bunch of MH to try out before this fall.

Just got my first one in the mail Saturday. Seems like a nice way to keep a variety of backcountry food and snacks around and not get bored eating the same thing all the time. You can use TRO as a 10% of promo code also.

I only purchase the Peak Refuel meals. They had a massive discount on their web page about a month ago for their one year anniversary. The Chicken Alfredo is my favorite and the breakfast meal is great with tortillas. The 2+ serving was right for me. But I am taller and 230 pounds. Plus, having the extra calories on longer hikes and then satellite hiking around from your main back country camp will be a major benefit. I think most newer backpack hunters don't eat enough calories during their hunts.

Super curious about that Peak - anyone have any feedback on what it does to your gut? MH straight tears me up, I've been leaning towards all dry meals this year. I'd rather be somewhat hungry and not have gut bombs than be full and feel like shit.

Back