backcountry.com lawsuits

TOGIE

Not sure how many people buy from backcountry.com, but the string of legal action against small business owners and restaurants that have the word backcountry in their name - following a trademark awarded to backcountry.com - is a little disturbing.

I personally have decided I will no longer buy gear from backcountry because of this. From what I'm hearing, the trademark lawsuits they are lodging might not actually be won, but they are using their weight to go after businesses that will likely just cave rather than fight.

Feels pertinent to me as others have made comments about how the outdoor industry - including hunting - as a whole should be working together, not ripping itself apart.

Last edited:
So they are even going after nonprofits. They won't respond with a public comment. Wonder where this will go? Wonder if BHA has gotten a C&D?

I know I used to buy a lot from them, but anymore they're the same price as everybody else, and I would prefer to send my money to states other than UT.
Agreed. Way better cheaper options for skiing hard goods, honestly I like REI because I can go to a store and talk to some and the dividend kinda cool.

I've become a big fan of their online used stuff. Everything I've gotten so far is basically brand new.

Ashamed to it admit it but I’ve been shopping online, shipping to their store next to my work, just so I don’t have to spend time walking around the store or in the check out... or have to pay shipping.

Backcountry.com responds:

I dont know why this bothers me so much. Maybe if they were trying to use the same/similar logo I'd understand. But if that were the case, they could simply illustrate the similarities. Instead, their defense is tepid and evasive.

Just tired of seeing ecommerce giants shitting on small businesses. Maybe I need to buy less stuff and focus on buying small/local instead of the bottom price.

it bothers me a lot too

i haven't purchased anything from backcountry in a number of years, but this has given me a renewed resolve to continue to not buy anything from them.

good to keep in mind that steep and cheap is owned by them

For what it's worth, when I think of amazon I think of a south American rainforest.
No, no, no, Amazon is an online retail company, the Amazon rainforest was named after it :)

I can't read the response above as I live in the UK, it redirects me to Alpinetrek, I wonder if they will go after any companies using the word Apline and Trek?

Corporate greed at it's worst, they are getting slated on FB but don't respond to anything.

Cheers

Richard

Jeff Bezos just filed suit against Brazilian President Bolsonaro for trademark infringement, citing this case as legal precedent.

For me personally that's too little too late, they've already shown their true colours and being a man of principle I would never use them again. I do that with virgin Australia when flying since jumping on the cecil lion bandwagon and banning trophies. Has cost me money on cheap flights, but if you post angry facebook messages and then go back to using them...

Back