Backcountry Breakdowns

Matt Dworak

I lucked out today and made it out of the backcountry when I pretty much thought I'd be hoofing it home. Nothing quite gets the adrenaline pumping like when your engine just cuts off miles and miles from the blacktop.

I drew my Colorado moose tag this year and was up scouting, funny thing is I was also up last weekend and made the comment that my old truck ('04 Dodge Ram - 180K miles) wasn't going to like a whole summer of banging around of those rocky 4x4 roads and that I ought to invest in a quad or side-by-side. I guess I kinda jinxed myself. After setting out a trail cam I hopped in the truck and went a couple hundred yards when it just died. After that immediate jolt of panic, I tried starting it while still rolling and it fired back up. I immediately turned around knowing how far back in there I was and not knowing what just happened. I made it maybe a couple blocks before it died again, but luckily, I noticed while driving that my electrical gauge was barely registering so at least I had an idea of where to start (fuel or fire).

Thankfully, I made it back to my place, about 130 miles, with the main terminal wire from my alternator held in place with two zip ties and some electrical tape. Somehow the stud/bolt that should be holding in it place sheared off... I keep a toolbox in the truck along with assorted odds and ends to help with a trail fix. But when I saw that bolt broke off, I knew I needed an Easyout or similar, plus a replacement bolt, neither of which I had. Your brain just goes into overdrive thinking about all the ways you'd make MacGyver proud with what you have stashed in your gear. I really did luck out on this one, I can't believe my fix got me all the way back home.

Curious to hear what everyone has for a game plan if their rig leaves 'em high and dry back on some lonesome road? I realized I've become somewhat complacent and could have/should have had a lot more gear to help out in a pinch. I carry jumper cables, bottleneck jack & mobile compressor. I'm thinking I need to add more adjustable band clamps and I found the electrical tape and zip ties in my hunting pack, so I just kind of lucked out there.

Attachments

• IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 38
My Jeep XJ vapor locked on me last year while hanging game cameras, at the time I had no clue what the heck happened and I was also a few miles in. So I know how you felt and I even had my tool kit with, but once the heep cooled down I was good to go. I have since then, updated the whole cooling system and wired an override on the electric fan so when the temp starts to climb I can flip a switch and it cools it down. I also make sure my wife knows the approximate location in case this happens or something else breaks, that way she can jump in my Cummins and come get me if need be.

A couple years ago we were hunting elk and I was parked on a sidehill waaaay back on a nasty 2-track, and when I closed the door it didn't swing all the way shut so the dome light was on for a couple days and killed my battery. Luckily from up high on the mountain the previous day we'd spotted a small cabin at the very end of the road a couple miles past us, and there was a truck parked there. I hiked up to the cabin and they graciously gave me a jump start. If they hadn't been there I would've had to to hike down 5-6 miles back to the FS road turnoff, and then hitchhike into Creede for a new battery.

In 1988, long before cell phones and plb's it happened to me. Scouting for elk in central Utah, my fuel pump went out. It was mid week with no traffic. I ended up walking 24 miles to Ephraim, mostly down hill but it took me almost 10 hours and a serious case of shin splints.

I spend alot of time thinking this over . My truck has 300,000 miles. My emergency kit: extra hoses, belts , extra plug wires , tires kit, compressor, fluids, assortment of wire, tape, bolts, battery backup. I change fuel pump every 80,000 ( I cut a hole in bed over pump for access) alternator, waterpump every 100,000. Check bearings before each big trip. Dump and replace lube in gear boxes every 20,000, except rear end do it every year

As I age just turned 60 I really worry more now than in my 30s. I have been stranded. I find keeping my fingers crossed keeps me calm

I spend alot of time thinking this over . My truck has 300,000 miles. My emergency kit: extra hoses, belts , extra plug wires , tires kit, compressor, fluids, assortment of wire, tape, bolts, battery backup. I change fuel pump every 80,000 ( I cut a hole in bed over pump for access) alternator, waterpump every 100,000. Check bearings before each big trip. Dump and replace lube in gear boxes every 20,000, except rear end do it every year

As I age just turned 60 I really worry more now than in my 30s. I have been stranded. I find keeping my fingers crossed keeps me calm
I almost forgot the most important thing. I bring good karma. Everytime I see someone broke down I stop and help. No matter how inconvenient

I almost forgot the most important thing. I bring good karma. Everytime I see someone broke down I stop and help. No matter how inconvenient
Exactly. Only one vehicle came off the mountain. Of course it was while I was cutting cross country. Had I been on the road, would they have stopped to help? Dunno, but I like to think they would have.

I also bring plenty of cash now. The mechanic who drove up to fix it (2 trips) didn't take credit cards. Fortunately, my bank had a branch in town.

Geo Bomb incident.

I once pulled into a spot to start hunting and as I was walking from my 1996 geo metro, I reached in my pockets to confirm that I had the keys. Upon discovering that my pockets were vacant, I panicked and ran towards my egg shaped hatchback. There on the seat, I could see my keys bathing in the sun smiling up at me in comfort. I pulled the door handle only to feel no resistance confirming that it was locked.

It was a cold day in Wyoming and I began to panic. I hiked to the nearest barbed wire fence and found a stray wire. I straightened it out and formed a hook on it and fished it through the window and hooked the lock lever from the outside.

Jeep Wrangler incident.

I was up a canyon with a girl that I had just met in high school. We parked the wrangler and decided to enjoy the scenery. As we were taking in the scenery in the drivers seat together the gas pedal must have gotten pressed beyond its limit and the throttle cable snapped. In a manual transmission Jeep up a steep canyon we really had to get her daddys YJ back to him that night. I popped the hood and nestled into the engine bay next to the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder motor and feathered the throttle by hand as she shifted gears and got us down the mountain hanging out the drivers side window Ace Ventura style. It was terrifying riding in the engine bay of a Jeep looking down the steep hillsides trying to avoid getting burnt by the headers. It was comforting knowing I was in charge of the throttle. Several kids from high school saw me riding in the engine bay down the canyon and into town with “the new girl”. We got the Jeep parked behind her daddies RV and pretended like we new nothing about the throttle cable when we got home.

The next day at school I had never gotten so many high fives. I felt like a rock star. Unfortunately for the girl, she got grounded for a long time after the clerk at the salvage yard mentioned that he was wondering how long it would take for him to come in for a throttle cable after seeing me riding around in the engine bay of his wrangler.

Had an old Isuzu pickup that constantly had to be push-started, always parked it on a hill so I could let gravity do the hard work for me.

My dad was notorious for getting flats so he started carrying two spare tires instead of one. That worked great until the day we got 4 flats in one day. The first two were apart enough to not be an issue, but the last two happened on the same rock (cut the sidewalls) just before dark. Luckily we saw another truck and my dad was able to hitchhike into town to get a couple spares while I stayed out there with the Jeep. Too bad my girlfriend at the time decided to pee right next to one of the flat tires. Took me a minute to figure out why my knee was wet as I was changing the tire in the dark.

driving around a 08 Dodge Nitro up in the mountain roads outside of Helena, Came around a corner a little hot and hit this dip in the road that wasn't to visible. Caught about 4 ft of air. Didn't blow out any tires but I'm pretty sure my spine shattered. Both rear brake calibers exploded and the disk bent. Luckily had my oh shit kit and I ended up crimping the brake lines. and removing the caliber, Thankfully the wheels still turned with the slightly bent brake rotors. the front end was making all kinds of noise, I was waiting for the wheel bearings to say "SEE YA".

Traded that mofo in the next day and bought my f250 with cash with the trade in. Never looked back.

I will say the 4wd worked great on that rig but ground clearance wasn't great lol. That was a commuter in Michigan before we moved to Montana, I might have been better off with my wifes KIA at the time.

Last year in NM, I got a flat on my truck in a spot not the best to change, I dug the rock out of the tire, put in two plugs and a jug a fixaflat. It held long enough to get me out of the area. I then found out the spare was a different size (shame on me I usually check this). I only had to replace the plugs every other day but made it through the trip.

About 6 years ago in WY antelope hunting, hit the brakes and the tire locked up. Well one of the caliper bracket bolts came out and when the brakes were applied the whole assy rotated lodging itself in the rim. It wasn't perm hung up, I babied it the 52 miles down the highway to town down shifting and using the e brake to stop. Luckily O-rileys I think it was had the bolt I needed and the tire shop next door installed it at no charge.

I was driving a 90s Chevy 1/2 ton down a middle of nowhere two track in central MT when a front shock mount bracket snapped right off the frame. I was a long way from cell service and a long way from help, so I was able to get it reattached with about 30 zip ties. Most of the zip ties were still attached when I limped it into the ranch.

EB18A963-BE53-462C-A89A-EC91FED40CEB.jpeg

I was driving a 90s Chevy 1/2 ton down a middle of nowhere two track in central MT when a front shock mount bracket snapped right off the frame. I was a long way from cell service and a long way from help, so I was able to get it reattached with about 30 zip ties. Most of the zip ties were still attached when I limped it into the ranch.

View attachment 188152
Yikes, now thats a real problem. zip ties to the rescue

I saw the title and a chill went down my spine ! I enjoy getting out into the bush and spent a few years freighting supplies for our remote cabin. My beautiful wife doesn't like seeing me go out alone so comes along with me when she can. She has had multiple foot surgeries n can't walk much. So when we're out n something breaks n I can't fix it in the bush she has no choice but to sit there by herself while I'm off. Tough chick she is. Pitch black winter, rainy cold summer n bugs.
But when I have to leave her alone it scares me. And I better be on my game. No mistakes can happen here. Her life can depend on it. We're generally out of phone service and have spent many days out pre cell, GPS days. And a snogo can get you way out there pretty fast n easy when there right. In tough conditions when break downs are concerned.
So back country break downs spook me. It's almost easier on me if I just go myself it seems. But I'm wrong on that. I'm blessed to have her n her bad ass attitude. ❤

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back