Caribou Gear Tarp

Backcountry Block and Tackle

AvidIndoorsman

Does anyone have an ultralight pulley system that they bring with them into the backcountry.

I'm looking for something that can be used with P-cord.

Use cases being hoist a heavy pack/30 lb food back, or possibly a small deer up into a tree... get a moose out of a marsh and on to shore, get an elk hind quarter off the ground when solo butchering, etc.

Does anyone have an ultralight pulley system that they bring with them into the backcountry.

I'm looking for something that can be used with P-cord.

Use cases being hoist a heavy pack/30 lb food back, or possibly a small deer up into a tree... get a moose out of a marsh and on to shore, get an elk hind quarter off the ground when solo butchering, etc.

Set your purse down and lift with your legs, not your back.😀

Are you familiar with putting a together a mechanical advantage hoist? Other than the moose, I think you could probably just buy a couple of small double pulleys and a couple of small carabiners from a hardware store and put together a 5:1 hoist with P-cord you have in your pack. If you could get your hands on some slightly stiffer paracord, it will make it easier to do this.....

If you google 4:1 Mechanical advantage hoist you will find some images that show how they go together.

Ok, took me too long to click submit.

So that is a 3:1 and basically the same concept. The only gain you would have from adding pulleys is they will reduce friction and make lifting a heavier load much easier.

Are you familiar with putting a together a mechanical advantage hoist? Other than the moose, I think you could probably just buy a couple of small double pulleys and a couple of small carabiners from a hardware store and put together a 5:1 hoist with P-cord you have in your pack. If you could get your hands on some slightly stiffer paracord, it will make it easier to do this.....

If you google 4:1 Mechanical advantage hoist you will find some images that show how they go together.

Yeah I've done it before but with big steel pulleys and rope... hence the question. Just trying to think smarter as I age... Jan seemed like a good month to think about this kinda random stuff.

Last edited:
I use a small pulley system for hoisting up Fallow/Roe deer to gralloch them sometimes, its late here but if I remember ill post a pic tomorrow, pulleys from a chandlery store, the system was given to me by a hunter I guided many years ago.
Cheers
Richard

If you need a guaranteed spot in Co let me know. I'm feeling kinda "A"ish today 🤣

Honestly, I'm not going to have any time to scout, my onX subscription ran out, and I've been drinking my way through the essentials list, but I'm definitely ready to put in some boot leather so if you could send me GPS and possibly let me borrow your truck that would be great.

(y) and I definitely wont tell 4 friends, cause I voted B

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back