Backcountry Block and Tackle

This is mine, actually its a bit heavier than I thought, so not great to haul back county at 12oz but it works for me.
IMG_20200124_111811299.jpg

I’m a big fan of dynaglide throwline and dmm xsre carabiners. Stronger, lighter, and more compact than anything else on the market. If interested I could post a pic tomorrow
6EBB3B79-4D92-4598-B616-91C320FD9415.jpeg

This is my setup, very similar to the video but way more compact, lighter, stronger, and less stretch.

100ft New England (Teufelberger) Dynaglide throwline 1000lb tensile strength

3 DMM XSRE Carabiners 900lb tensile strength

= 3.4 oz

$60 should get you 200 ft of chord age and 3 carabiners. I use the chordage for everything from emergency shoe laces, to lashing, to meat pole, to ten guy lines.

Last edited:
This looks interesting, but expensive and not exactly "ultralight." I think I'm going to try @Dsnow9's idea.

This looks interesting, but expensive and not exactly "ultralight." I think I'm going to try @Dsnow9's idea.

I wish my setup was cheaper, I use the throwline for work though so I have a bunch lying around, FYI. I use it for all kinds of stuff though, it’s the most durable and long lasting chordage I have used to date.

We have a couple of these and they work well.

I was thinking of something along this line. Add another pulley and/or carabiner and you can really up the mechanical advantage if needed.

Here's what I took moose hunting, just in case I had to remove one from the water: http://www.akcooltools.com/hitchmaster.html

Saw these on Caribou Gear's website. Promo code RANDY gets you 20% off instead of the 10% they're advertising.

Sadly enough I looked today and I could not find a parachute chord block and tackle,. I bought two 4x4 pulley system from Bob Ward and Sons in the 90s. I bought a 4x3 sytem in the 80s and a 2x2 system in the 80s. My father left me a 4x3 block and tackle from the 50s. In a search of the internet I could not find anything.

I did find a pulley system at Bob Wards with a yellow plastic rope. I started with one similar to that in about 1980. We pulled a nice bull up but before we could tie him off the entire pulley system blew up and dropped the elk on my partner, broke his glasses and swelled his eyes nearly shut. That started the search that resulted in a block and tackle system as described of high quality in every saddlebag or pack.

I posted a picture in a thread in March. I guess until someone makes them again the options are: 1. purchase two 4 pulley blocks with 2 inch wheels that have grooves to fit parachute chord;2. look in the second hand shops ; 3. pray that someone starts to make them again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back