Back to AZ for prairie dogs

Calif. Hunter

We're heading out to "Grand Canyon Caverns" again on Friday. We'll spend the night at my buddy's house in Apple Valley to get a head start, and then the 3 of us (my son, myfriend and I) will head out very early Friday AM.

Last time, my son went through 2 or 3 hundred rounds of .223 - just playing around. (As boys do, and I did at his age.) This time, I am bringing his .22 and a brick or two of ammo for him.

It should be in the mid-90's. Shoot in the AM, go back to the motel for a nap and a swim, then back out inthe afternoon for more shooting.

We are all sure looking forward to this trip! My son has been talking about little else for 2 weeks.

Here is a photo from last summer - that is my other friend, John, in the background. Michael now has to be camo'ed out, no matter what he is hunting. ;)

mikey_pd_2.jpg

Did a hunt the 3rd of July, it was near Seligman, we drove up from Phx, shot from about 7:30 until about 4:30 when we got pushed out by a rain storm.
Midday we found two small trees that we used for shade. It made handling the heat alot easier.
We shot about 300 rounds of ammo for the day. ,223 and .243. We had two shooter and one spotter. Lots of fun, have fun and be safe, JLG.

We had lots of fun. There was a pretty good rainfall on Thursday night, so some of the dirt roads on the Boquillas ranch were pretty slimy. The 4WD switch went out on my truck, and I got stuck in the mud. My buddy was able to pull me out without much problem.

Other than that, it was a great trip. We had some long shots Friday, but Saturday found us on a "honey hole" where most of the shots were about 100 yards, with some less. I really fell in love with my CZ .17 HMR - it was fun to see the hits. While it did not fling the dogs about, it dropped them pretty decisively and some times flipped them. One of my friend's nephew actually managed to sneak up and shoot a prairie dog at about 10 yards with a .410. My son shot one with a .38 SPL from my Model 19 S&W.

I played the prairie dog distress call on my FX-3 and pulled some dogs out of their burrows after we thought the action was over.

Cali.....you're livin the life my friend!

We had lots of fun. There was a pretty good rainfall on Thursday night, so some of the dirt roads on the Boquillas ranch were pretty slimy. The 4WD switch went out on my truck, and I got stuck in the mud. My buddy was able to pull me out without much problem.

Other than that, it was a great trip. We had some long shots Friday, but Saturday found us on a "honey hole" where most of the shots were about 100 yards, with some less. I really fell in love with my CZ .17 HMR - it was fun to see the hits. While it did not fling the dogs about, it dropped them pretty decisively and some times flipped them. One of my friend's nephew actually managed to sneak up and shoot a prairie dog at about 10 yards with a .410. My son shot one with a .38 SPL from my Model 19 S&W.

I played the prairie dog distress call on my FX-3 and pulled some dogs out of their burrows after we thought the action was over.

It looked llike a good yearfor them, we went to flag and they were all over, I havent seen them in flag in 7-10 years, some buddies were saying the babbit ranch in unit 9 is loaded with them again too.

Delw

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back