AZ Unit 6a - Late Archery - First Elk Tag

grantw

So, I drew my first elk tag this year, for AZ 6a late archery, Nov. 20-26th. Really was not expecting to draw an AZ tag for quite a few years, so I am beyond excited to have drawn this and experience my first time chasing elk!

I will be going DIY, as I am planning to hunt elk for many, many years into the future (currently 25 y/o) and am looking at this as more of a long term investment and learning experience, and won't be considering it a failed trip by any means coming home empty handed.

Looking to see if anybody is familiar with the unit and willing to give any general advice. Will be traveling from Michigan, so unfortunately will not be able to do any boots on the ground scouting and will be glued to OnX maps. Google Earth, and good ol' forums. I am certainly not looking for coordinates/honey holes, just general information or areas to possibly check out or focus on.

As of now, planning to focus on the major canyon systems throughout the unit and glass/spot n' stalk.

Any and all advice welcome - thanks in advance!

First welcome to HT. Second, asking for info is not the best first post, don’t be surprised if you get a lot of Welcome to HT replies.

The only unit advice I can give you is to give Kevin Call a ring at High Point outfitters. He is a good resource even if you want to DIY. He knows that area very well and can help steer you in the right direction. You might be able to hire him for a few days to put a scouting package together to lessen your learning curve.

Hunted late archery in 6b last season. Didn’t get an elk but had lots of opportunity just couldn’t seal the deal. Fun hunt though. If it’s still dry, sit water. If there is snow on the ground it will be very tough. You will find spikes and raghorns still with cows and bigger bulls will be holed up in steep nasty canyons. If you are hunting solo find where the cows are and still hunt into the wind. If you have a buddy and you locate bulls, have him spot and walk you in via radio with earpiece. Find good glassing spots that aren’t right off the road and you should find bulls. Watch Randy’s escouting series on YouTube, lots of good info there. Good luck!

Congrats on your tag. It's shaping up to be a fantastic year for antler growth. Do you have any elk hunting experience? Last year I helped two late archers in separate units and both found bulls bugling with cows during the late archery season. The biggest wild card for you will be weather. It could be t-shirt weather in which case the elk will be high and nocturnal. Generally speaking there will be elk spread out across the unit everywhere above 6,500 feet. If you get off the road you'll encounter elk almost guaranteed.

Last edited:
Here's a random camera in Unit 8 I just picked up. Lots of these younger age class bulls around. This was a cheap camera so the date is European Day/ Month/ Year

bachelor herd.JPGbiggerbull.JPGraghorns.JPGbroken bull.JPG

Congrats on your tag. Lots of elk in 6a. The unit seems to be managed more for opportunity than age class. That being said good bulls still come out of the unit every year. The unit gets hit pretty hard with pressure from both hunters and general recreation/ohv/campers. My advice is try and get as far off the roads as possible. 6a does have some good points to glass off of. Get high up and spend a lot of time looking. In your e-scouting, find and mark glassing points. Since the bulls will likely be pretty quiet during the late season, your best bet is to glass them up and spot and stalk for strategy. Keep an eye on precipitation and how much water is in the tanks during your hunt. If water is scarce, then sitting water can work in your favor. If water is everywhere, it will be a waste of your time. During your hunt there are only 30 tags vs the 700 they give for the early archery and 350 muzzleloader that come before you. You will have an easier time getting away from other hunters and you will get in there before the next round of 700 late rifle. Late archery is a hard hunt, but there are guys who figure it out and are successful every year. Good luck! It should be a ton of fun!

First welcome to HT. Second, asking for info is not the best first post, don’t be surprised if you get a lot of Welcome to HT replies.

The only unit advice I can give you is to give Kevin Call a ring at High Point outfitters. He is a good resource even if you want to DIY. He knows that area very well and can help steer you in the right direction. You might be able to hire him for a few days to put a scouting package together to lessen your learning curve.
Awesome, thank you! I'll definitely have to give him a call.

And my bad...the whole forum thing is new to me, but trying to exhaust all of my options for resources and information before my hunt! lol

Hunted late archery in 6b last season. Didn’t get an elk but had lots of opportunity just couldn’t seal the deal. Fun hunt though. If it’s still dry, sit water. If there is snow on the ground it will be very tough. You will find spikes and raghorns still with cows and bigger bulls will be holed up in steep nasty canyons. If you are hunting solo find where the cows are and still hunt into the wind. If you have a buddy and you locate bulls, have him spot and walk you in via radio with earpiece. Find good glassing spots that aren’t right off the road and you should find bulls. Watch Randy’s escouting series on YouTube, lots of good info there. Good luck!
Yeah I should have my dad and a buddy with me so I think that will be the plan. If I can find opportunities, that's all I can really ask for! Looking forward to it regardless. Have been watching a lot of Randy's videos along with the Elk101 course.

Congrats on your tag. It's shaping up to be a fantastic year for antler growth. Do you have any elk hunting experience? Last year I helped two late archers in separate units and both found bulls bugling with cows during the late archery season. The biggest wild card for you will be weather. It could be t-shirt weather in which case the elk will be high and nocturnal. Generally speaking there will be elk spread out across the unit everywhere above 6,500 feet. If you get off the road you'll encounter elk almost guaranteed.
Thank you! This is my first elk tag. I helped out on a hunt with my uncle in CO last year but that's about it for experience other than the research, videos and reading lol. My dad will be tagging along with me who has a little bit of experience, but not much. I am definitely not looking to break any records, just for a chance at a legal bull and an opportunity to chase elk out west!

Congrats on your tag. Lots of elk in 6a. The unit seems to be managed more for opportunity than age class. That being said good bulls still come out of the unit every year. The unit gets hit pretty hard with pressure from both hunters and general recreation/ohv/campers. My advice is try and get as far off the roads as possible. 6a does have some good points to glass off of. Get high up and spend a lot of time looking. In your e-scouting, find and mark glassing points. Since the bulls will likely be pretty quiet during the late season, your best bet is to glass them up and spot and stalk for strategy. Keep an eye on precipitation and how much water is in the tanks during your hunt. If water is scarce, then sitting water can work in your favor. If water is everywhere, it will be a waste of your time. During your hunt there are only 30 tags vs the 700 they give for the early archery and 350 muzzleloader that come before you. You will have an easier time getting away from other hunters and you will get in there before the next round of 700 late rifle. Late archery is a hard hunt, but there are guys who figure it out and are successful every year. Good luck! It should be a ton of fun!
Awesome, thank you! Yeah that was definitely one of my reasons for applying for this hunt, being the opportunity at any legal bull and the few tags for the hunt during that time. Will definitely make sure to check water and keep that in mind. The plan will certainly be to find glassing points and then spot and stalk.

Thank you! This is my first elk tag. I helped out on a hunt with my uncle in CO last year but that's about it for experience other than the research, videos and reading lol. My dad will be tagging along with me who has a little bit of experience, but not much. I am definitely not looking to break any records, just for a chance at a legal bull and an opportunity to chase elk out west!
You picked the right place. It's going to be an awesome trip. Unit 6A is loaded with elk and you'll have it practically to yourselves. Just ghost around the forest and listen for bugles. Remember that old saying about taking on your first day which you would on the last. Seize every opportunity even if it's opening morning. That's a crummy lesson to learn the hard way.

If You get lucky ,plan on a rag horn. and don't get to excited ,I have done that going out of State for the first time. Very tough hunt like I said .Wish You Luck!....................BOB!

Get yourself a Flatline 6A map and app about $50 bucks. That time of the year I would be at the southern most part of the unit where 260 and 87 meet and check out the canyons in that part of the unit. I live in 5A and that would be the first place I would look. Good luck.
Ron

So curious as to how your hunt went, I am in the same unit for October 2021 for cow. Hunted this unit September 2020 for bill with my husband and had a lot of close calls and searched for days for an elk he hit, but never found. 😩

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back