Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

AZ unit 27 late elk? Just got a call

At 14 points I would hold off and wait on an early archery tag. An early archery hunt in 27 is worth about 4 late rifle hunts !

After reading all this here, it was clearly dry and all the bulls had stunted broken antlers. Turn down that shitty permit for sure
Did you see the two dinks killed at the end of July or early august?
weak monsoon I reckon

If you gotta hop on here and ask your more likely to kill a tent than a bull
Well I already have a NM hunt in mid Nov was just looking for some boots on the ground info on what the year was like in that area. I know it's a pretty good tag and area. It was my 2nd choice on my app.

Yep, can’t believe someone would apply for a tag, and then ask the internet if they should take it. AGFC shouldn’t be so accommodating to give someone extra time to get the internet’s responses. Either Yes, I applied for it and I want it, or No, I made other plans.
2nd choice on my app and yes have other hunt planned 2 weeks before. So it's not as cut and dried as it may seem. And when they call a month before season it adds a little complexity to it instead of knowing you drew in Feb and can plan your year around that. It takes 24 hrs to process it all and see if it's feasible. Pretty sure I'm going to take the tag, now just to find a good way to tell the wife I'll be gone for 3 weeks.

Of you have the health, the time, the money, and blessings from the family… of course Take The Tag !!!!!

In all seriousness with your points if the season is that booked I would turn it back you should draw it next year I’d bet with go hunt odds. Then you have an entire season to prep and put forth the effort a tag such as this requires.

We had a stellar winter this past year. There was a good amount of moisture across most of the state, with a few exceptions. We also had the hottest summer on record & the deserts are pretty much burned up from the heat. Not only did we have one of the hottest summers on record we also had little to no moisture during the monsoons.

Once of those exceptions appeared to be the Eastern border w/ NM. Back in Jan we cut our Javelina hunt short in Unit 28 due to the lack of rain. Have hunted this area for the past 5 years, & have not seen it this bad. Most of the areas that previously held Javelina, no sign could be found.

Have not spend any time this year in Units 1 or 27, cannot speak to the effects of the summer from hell. What I have seen, has me concerned. Saw several news reports about Saguaros toppled over from a lack of water. Been down here for over 40 years. That was a first. We were looking forward to an excellent quail season after last spring's super bloom. Have yet to go out this year, will wait until it cools off a bit before venturing out into the deserts once again.

Hard to believe this past summer didn't have an effect on the amount of feed available in the high county & thus effected the antler growth accordingly. If you're looking for a trophy this might not be the year to find him, otherwise it's an AZ elk hunt. What are you waiting for...

27, this year and all...I'd go in a heart beat.
Dry and dusty ,now.
Have not seen a dink nor a broken up bull along the border this year.
Terrible monsoon season. Monsoons are over.

My unit had the driest summer on record and the hottest. Produced one that is new NM state record, most likely.
Real close to 27...

...naah, watch soccer.

I’d skip it and use the points on an archery hunt. But that’s me.
That does sound great but I'm a farmer in ND and Aug-Oct is our harvest season so there is no chance of archery hunting for the next 20 yrs until I retire. But I do love archery.

I like to just do it and then say “ I know I told you about this. I don’t think you listen to me.” Than it’s her fault
That is brilliant. I’ve got my wife so use to it at this point she just shrugs her shoulders and stares at me and asks where I’m heading this time

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back