AZ Unit 1 Early Archery

Bnewie

I drew Unit 1 Early archery bull tag, This will be my first elk hunt in AZ anyone willing to share tips or pointers on the unit/hunt I would greatly appreciate it.

A boy can dream

In all seriousness, he has a lot of elk hunting experience for his age and has killed some good bulls going back to 12 years old. I'll do my best to keep him off the release the first week anything under 340". After that will depend on what we're seeing. Anything above 340" I'm sure will get shot any day of the hunt with no regrets. The truth is this could be the best tag of his life. We'll get after it hard as always and make the best of it. I've hunted 27 after the fire so I know generally what we're in for.

Last edited:
Elk are some what call shy in AZ. They get recreationally called all the time and they learn quick. Some times it’s better to just stalk the herd. Unit 1 is huge so pick a spot and hunt it hard. Can waste a lot of time jumping around the unit.

Elk are some what call shy in AZ. They get recreationally called all the time and they learn quick. Some times it’s better to just stalk the herd. Unit 1 is huge so pick a spot and hunt it hard. Can waste a lot of time jumping around the unit.

That's how we always hunt in any state. I do call, right time, right place as one tool in a big bag. But... definitely don't go running around the woods doing the pied piper like you see all over youtube these days.

Brian Barney did a great podcast with Brian Call recently on this. Exactly how we elk hunt and is a great listen for anyone wanting to really learn how to "hunt" elk rather than just call elk. We'd all benefit if guys laid off the calls a bit more. It's fun to hear them, but I'm much more into killing them, specifically the LARGE ones ;) Be a low impact elk killer.

After several days scouting before season when I had that tag, it was clear they didn't need nor care to come to calls so I ended up sleeping in till 7:00 then heading out. I'd follow them till they bedded then sneak in on them. Shot my Bull at 12:00 noon from about 12 yards. I have heard the reprod has really grown up and made some areas difficult.

My brother and I actually watched a couple of idiots bugling and cow calling from their atv's while they were chasing a small bull and 2 cows they had spooked in unit 1 trying to stop them.

My son also drew. We'll be there the entire season. Should be a fun hunt. Just get out and hunt. There are elk all over the unit.
Thanks you, and good luck to your son hope he shoots a big one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back