AZ turkey draw odds??

Auburnpack

Does anyone know where I can find how many points it takes to draw a turkey tag for each unit? I found the % draw odds but now the number of points.
Also, Is it possible to draw a Goulds turkey without max points?
Thanks!

Believe there is not enough tags that a nonresident can draw with max points in any unit. U just need to be real lucky.

I drew Gould's this year with 27 points. However, I know a Californian who has drawn Gould's twice, so he obviously didn't have max points the 2nd time he drew. But he's real lucky in draws. He also has drawn Emperor Goose twice.

Does anyone know where I can find how many points it takes to draw a turkey tag for each unit? I found the % draw odds but now the number of points.
Also, Is it possible to draw a Goulds turkey without max points?
Thanks!
The Draw result reports (Bonus pass and 1-2 pass) are here towards the bottom of the page : https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Draw/BonusPointProcess/

However, the reports don't distinguish between Resident and Non-Resident apps.

The simple answer to the second question is 'Yes' - see below screenshot from 2020 - someone drew the unit 29/30A tag (Hunt code 4044) with 0 points:

2021-05-27 12_14_57-2020-Spring-Bonus-Point-Report-1-2-Pass-by-Hunt-Number.pdf.png

If you already buy an AZ license to apply for big game than you might as well apply for turkey too. You can buy a Point Only for the Fall draw so you can build 2 points a year.

If you already buy an AZ license to apply for big game than you might as well apply for turkey too. You can buy a Point Only for the Fall draw so you can build 2 points a year.
Thanks to everyone for all the information!! I do buy a license for elk/deer. I have 4 turkey points but wasnt sure if there were enough tags available for a NR to draw a goulds turkey. Would be happy w a Merriam since I did get my first Rio last week in Kansas.
As far as my luck, I can't draw a Kansas deer tag w 90% odds but I did draw a Utah muzzy deer tag w 2 points (1%ish odds)??

There are several states that have Merriam's tags OTC, I'd keep applying for Gould's.
I just burned all my points (27) but I plan on applying again as a 1st choice and Merriam's as my 2nd.

Do you lose your points if you draw a Merriam as the 2nd choice?
Yes, you lose your points if you draw 1st, 2nd, 3-5.
You only keep your points if you get a leftover tag after the draw. First come first serve. No Gould's are ever leftover and very few Merriam's leftover if any.

Yes, you lose your points if you draw 1st, 2nd, 3-5.
You only keep your points if you get a leftover tag after the draw. First come first serve. No Gould's are ever leftover and very few Merriam's leftover if any.
Is it possible to draw a Gould's tag without max points? NR's only get up to 10% of the tags per draw # or species? I have heard that Gould's is by the total number of tags and not draw number??

Last edited:
SO if there are 15 total tags with up to 10% going to NR. Does that mean NR can draw 1 or 2 tags? If there is only 1 tag for NR then it will go to the NR with Max points. I am trying to figure out if NR can draw without having Max points.

SO if there are 15 total tags with up to 10% going to NR. Does that mean NR can draw 1 or 2 tags? If there is only 1 tag for NR then it will go to the NR with Max points. I am trying to figure out if NR can draw without having Max points.
1 tag, it will be a random tag

I hope it doesn't take max points for me to draw a Goulds turkey tag as it definitely on the Bucket list

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back