AZ Javelina

Don't know what the real name is for that plant but you'll know it when you try to walk through them.

Schott's agave and they do love them.

Don't limit yourself to just hunting prickly pear and washes. The also love ridgelines with agave, mequite beans, cane cholla fruits, and rooting under rocks on steep ocotillo covered slopes for grubs...

Well no luck but had a great time. Spent 2 days all over Mammoth and Reddington but couldn't find any fresh sign. Appreciate all the help and cant wait to get back out.

Well no luck but had a great time. Spent 2 days all over Mammoth and Reddington but couldn't find any fresh sign. Appreciate all the help and cant wait to get back out.
It was a tough week for a lot of hunters, the wind and rain this weekend really shut down activity

Struck out big time with the Javelina this year. Could not find them at all! Spent 6 days classing down from hill tops and walking through washes. On the plus side, I'm learning a lot from my mistakes. There is always rabbits you can hunt year round until you get another tag.

Struck out big time with the Javelina this year. Could not find them at all! Spent 6 days classing down from hill tops and walking through washes. On the plus side, I'm learning a lot from my mistakes. There is always rabbits you can hunt year round until you get another tag.
Learned a lot from mine as well on my first non small game hunt. Being that I just started hunting at age 40 last fall, lots to learn. I have Turkey coming up in 3B in April. Taking some lessons learned on that hunt for sure. Making sure I spend at least 1 day prescouting in March.

Learned a lot from mine as well on my first non small game hunt. Being that I just started hunting at age 40 last fall, lots to learn. I have Turkey coming up in 3B in April. Taking some lessons learned on that hunt for sure. Making sure I spend at least 1 day prescouting in March.
Yeah, I just got into hunting last spring and I'm 37 next month. Good luck with the turkey hunt!

Took my first AZ javi on the last day 2-17. Used the gutless method and just took the meat. No issues avoiding the scent gland either. Dry sow 40-45lbs. Realized 10.5 lbs meat and it’s delicious. Don’t know why they get a bad rap? Bad field care most likely. Her canines and other teeth are well worn down. Curious I looked up how long they live; 10-15 yrs on avg. Euro’d the skull and it turned out great. Primitive looking critters.785F3845-F022-43DA-AA94-19EA670440A7.jpeg4F647B13-5E18-4F64-A46D-66F11877054E.jpegF1DA16F1-4A22-4B41-AEDA-0048E7DA08A9.jpeg

Last edited:
Took my first AZ javi on the last day 2-17. Used the gutless method and just took the meat. No issues avoiding the scent gland either. Dry sow 40-45lbs. Realized 10.5 lbs meat and it’s delicious. Don’t know why they get a bad rap? Bad field care most likely. Her canines and other teeth are well worn down. Curious I looked up how long they live; 10-15 yrs on avg. Euro’d the skull and it turned out great. Primitive looking critters.
Show us some pictures!

We had a tough time during the AZ javelina rifle season. Bad weather had alot to do wit it.
I still managed to tag out on day 5. Hunting partner had an opportunity but he couldn't make it happen. There should be a post regarding this particular hunt.
You received some good advise here... the only thing I would add is more glassing.
Good luck in the future. Let us know how your turkey hunt goes.

Last edited:
I euro mounted mine too. I put it next to a huge euro mount pig from a few years back and a euro mount wart hog from my hunt in Africa. Fun to have 3 totally different kind of “pigs” there together to compare.

I had a tag this past winter for one of the 34 or 35 units but wasn't able to make it out there hope to try it again soon.

Took my first AZ javi on the last day 2-17. Used the gutless method and just took the meat. No issues avoiding the scent gland either. Dry sow 40-45lbs. Realized 10.5 lbs meat and it’s delicious. Don’t know why they get a bad rap? Bad field care most likely. Her canines and other teeth are well worn down. Curious I looked up how long they live; 10-15 yrs on avg. Euro’d the skull and it turned out great. Primitive looking critters.View attachment 132933View attachment 132934View attachment 132935
Nice and congrats on that. Awesome pics.

Going to 22 in January (Bow) for javelina for my grandson, son and me, and deer (Hopefully coues...) for son and me.
Any suggested starting points for javelina, and coues?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back