AZ Hunters

GatoMan

I will be down around the pheonix area next week javelina hunting, does anyone know any meat processing shops around pheonix to have a javelina cut up, made into jerky or whatever you do with those things. Any suggestions on what you do with javelina meat?

Gato, just cut the thing up yourself, it will take about an hour.

I've made jerky out of them and cooked them in a crock pot. Both pretty good, way better than what most people describe. I bet they'd make good sausage.

Also, if you havent hunted them, spend a lot of time behind glass. They move all day, especially if it isnt real hot. I've seen more of them after 9:00 am then before. Glass anywhere that has a lot of prickly pear, cat-claw acacia, or fillary. They seem to prefer those plants for forage more than anything else.

Sign is pretty obvious, tracks, shredded prickly pear, acacia roots dug up, etc.

Oh, and be really patiant glassing, they are hard to pick out. Many times we've spent 3-4 hours looking a hillside over before they make their appearance and/or we see them. They also look gray at times and black at times. I have a hell of time glassing them, my buddies that live there pick them right out. I spank their asses though at glassing coues deer...

Have fun and enjoy the weather.

Hey Gatoman where abouts in the state are you hunting? Buzz is right it will take about a hour to do cut it your self. I got my javelina archery this year. As for cooking I like the crock pot way then add it to chili or put a little bbq sauce on it.

I'll be hunting 37a, I just don't have time to mess with the meat afterwards, was thinking jerky be easiest, going down into mexico and around few other places before heading home so don't want to deal with meat to much.

Go to www.azgfd.com and look under hunting and fishing on the left side of the home page then to sportsmans resources there is a list of meat processors there.

Gato if your going to be in the phoenix area we all need to get together in hit mc donalds (you know have a milkshake on oscars behalf....

How long you going to be in town for?
I am a fishing tourny friday sat and sun.

Good luck on your hunt.

Delw

Del I will be staying in Queens Creek for awhile then going down south to hunt on Pete Shepleys ranch. Not sure exactly what my schedule will be like as the guy I am going with has most the things all planned out.

If you guys pull it together, count me in. I would enjoy meeting the famous Gato Man..

You can try Mikes Southwest Game Processing in Queen Creek. I'm not sure if he does Javelina or not. Lots of places won't because most folks contaminate the meat with the oil from the scent gland..

:cool:

Thanks dan I seen his name listed on the arizona game website, hopefully I may have some time to meet couple of you guys but I am at the mercy of the guy I am going with, his rig, his plans....he payed for my tag/license also so....... I know he wants to go into mexico then my uncle has a ranch down in Portal AZ I plan on getting around to seeing, so I don't exactly know how much time I will have to play with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back