AZ Fall Bear Help!

PotatoWhisperer

Hey all. I was thinking of doing a fall bear hunt here in AZ. Thing is, I've never done ti before. I struck out on the draws and need something to shoot this year. If anyone could help a blind man see, I would appreciate it. I'm looking to do the rife hunt...and spot and stalk. Units...not sure! Suggestions? Where? How? Who? Thanks guys/gals!

i have never bear hunted before ether

thinking about trying unit 22an 23

i have a buddy that lives up there an hes checking it out

Ive hunted bears for a long time in AZ.. usually with a bow saw alot but never got a close enough shot....

unit 6a used to be the best on the westside
Ive hunted bears in 6a, 22, 23, 21, 4a&b 5 A&b Ive also hunted below young and about young... Ive seen more bears in unit 6a off stoneman lake road than any other unit...

4peaks also might be a good spot this year it was 8 years ago....

I am thinking of hitting unit 27 this year...

Delw

This will be my first time. But I'm thinking of trying unit 22, scouting the prickly pear patches and oaks...

Good luck. I thought of doing a longer hunt, but do to work, I don't think I can get away that long. Just maybe weekends, so 22 is closer and more condusive to time restrictions.

unit 22 make sure you hit the thick manzinitas.. I can give you exact locations if you want.... The prickly pear hunt is usually a dream hunt that very rarely happens
(due to drought conditions and the season is over due to hound hunters the first week)

The prickly pear hunt is good on the east side of the state in unit 27. its a later hunt and its has more bears and a bigger quota.....

Find where the manzinitas meet the pines and have some rocky cliffs in them.... and be sure to beware of Rattle Snakes they are fugging everywhere and they dont rattle this time of the year very much(due to the chill up north)

Delw

Delw, thanks! If you don't mind giving me the directions, I'm not to proud, I'll accept. Thanks!

Rattlesnakes??? I promised a friend of mine to get them some meat, they want to try it. Weird!

Thanks again for your help. And hey, been to pleasent lately? Don't foeget about what we talked about...we'll plan another get together when this heat cools down a bit!

Thanks Delw!

P-Dub,
A friend told me of a place.
Highway 260 and highway 87 junction.
the SW corner towards calf pen canyon and sandrock canyon towards the fossil creek area they have seen lots of large bears in that area.
Hope this helps out.
We spotted on by the springs on the back side of the SF peaks in flagstaff. Unfortunately, it was the day after the season ended, while we were archery deer hunting.
The archery season in 27 has a lot more bears and more to kill (15) I think.
Nice and rough area, many sights to see also.

Good luck.

Mtn man that place you mentions is a great place a buddy killed one there within 10 mins of call(fossile creek spot)..

2 years ago in unit 27 they took 125(thats what I heard it was somewhere close) bears before the season was closed..... I think the quota was met in 3 weeks or less...

Delw

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back