Avoiding Businesses That Disallow Concealed Carry

hunt1up

I posted this on another hunting site that I frequent but figured I'd give it a whirl here. Seems there's a higher percentage of common sense here!

So as most of you know, IL recently passed a concealed carry law. There is a huge number of applicants so I am still awaiting my permit. I have taken the concealed carry course here as well as for Florida and Utah years ago. Anyway, I do business at a few local banks in town. One is a small local credit union with 4 branches in the area. I went in yesterday to deposit some money into my hunting trip fund and noticed they'd posted the "no guns" sign necessary to disallow concealed weapons. My first thought was "Alright, it's a bank, whatever." I later sent and inquiry to the bank as to their reasoning behind their decision. I got a quick response saying that management would get back to me. I did mention that I would consider taking my business elsewhere depending on their reasoning. I told my wife and some other gun owning friends about this and they all pretty much said I was being dumb and that all banks are probably this way. I proceeded to swing by the other two banks where I do business this morning. Neither was posted.

Now I understand that avoiding all businesses that disallow concealed carry is pretty unreasonable, just like trying to buy purely American products. I also completely respect a business's right to restrict carry if they so choose. But as a consumer I would much rather patronize businesses that I agree with.

So for those of you in states with established CC laws I have a few questions.

1. What is standard practice for financial institutions in your state?
2. Do you try to avoid businesses that restrict CC?
3. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill on this?

This is from Montana's Concealed Carry Permit Info:

Places off-limits when carrying:
1. Portions of a building used for state or local government offices and related areas in the building that have been restricted
2. A bank, credit union, savings and loan institution, or similar institution during the institution’s normal business hours. It is not an offense under this section to carry a concealed weapon while:
a. using an institution’s drive-up window, automatic teller machine, or unstaffed night depository; or
b. at or near a branch office of an institution in a mall, grocery store, or other place unless the person is inside the enclosure used for the institution’s financial services or is using the institution’s financial services.
3. A room in which alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed, and consumed under a license issued under Title 16 for the sale of alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
4. All buildings owned or leased by a local school district that are used for instruction or for student activities

1- I'm not sure because I only frequent one bank. I'm pretty sure they posted no guns but don't remember 100% because I don't have enough money to do anything but drive through and deposit it temporarily until we pay the bills

2- I have my CC license but never actually carry in my person. Only in my vehicle. While I get irritated by businesses that don't allow CC I don't go out of my way to avoid them.

3- While it's my opinion that people get too worked up over the matter it is just a matter of opinion. If I carried all the time it would get aggravating to have to make sure I left my weapon in my vehicle at all the right stores. Especially in a strip mall scenario where some allow it and some don't. While I understand and agree with the reasoning behind avoiding a place where criminals get a sign telling them that the patrons aren't armed I don't let it affect my day-to-day living.

I watched no weapons signs go on the doors to the movie theater in Billings after the Colorado crazy man theater shooting. The signs stayed up for a few months and then were removed. I figure some logals had to set them straight on some things. It seems that once hysteria dies down logic sets in.

I bank at three different institutions and none of them have a policy or sign in place. One bank does ask that you put your hood down and take your sun glasses off though :D

We can not carry in the local and state government buildings, schools or functions of public schools.

We can carry in bars, banks and so forth. If you are caught in a store/establishment with a "No Firearms Allowed" sign all they can do is tell you to leave. If you choose not to leave you can get a ticket for trespassing.

There are some local laws that are currently in the process of being struck down in Charleston and a couple of other cities that restrict us from carrying on city property like parks, parking garages, possibly sidewalks (nobody can give a straight answer) public pools and so forth.

This the beauty of our country. You have rights, and so does everyone else. I would encourage you to make as big of a deal about it as you want, as long as you aren't infringing on the rights of the business owners. No one can tell you how you should feel about someone else's opinions and how they administer their personal property. Support the businesses you want to support.

People get excited about this because it is a political hot button. I don't think it is that complicated.

I belong to RMEF because of my personal opinions and beliefs, and chose not to support SFW for the same reasons.

Iowa is very similar to WV, you can not legally carry in or within X amount of feet of a school, or in a public building like the city hall, county courthouse, or any federal building. Those are absolute no-no's! However businesses can post a sign and you can choose to ignore it, and IF they see that you are carrying they can ask you to leave, and if you don't then you get a trespass fine. It is not illegal to carry there just because they post a sign. While I don't need that kind of public humiliation of getting kicked out of a business, there are some businesses that I keep my cc on me, and ignore their signs. Even in small town Midwest, where would the nut-job likely show up?? School (too bad our teachers can't carry!), bar, convenience store, bank, movie theater .... probably in that order. If someone comes in there to shoot the place up while I'm in there, and my CC weapon is out in the truck, I'm as dead as the next guy and every guy past me. So, my advise is find out what the penalty is for carrying where it is posted and if your cc is VERY well hidden, then you need to make that choice to carry or not where it is posted but not illegal. Do NOT carry where it is clearly written to be illegal cuz then you will loose your permit. As far as business wise, I still bank where there are signs, it bothered me at first, but we may never agree with every business owner on all political topics anyway.

You are not at all out of line to avoid business that do not allow legal carry.
When we lived in IN my favorite local auto parts store put one of those off limits stickers on the door. Myself and several friends asked them WTF? and proceeded to then take our long time business elsewhere. I noticed within a few months their parking lot was never crowded. Seems like all the large auto repair guys in town also like their handguns. Hope the owner of ---Auto feels safe.
You guys have waited a long time to be able to carry there, glad to see it finally happen.

Iowa is very similar to WV, you can not legally carry in or within X amount of feet of a school, or in a public building like the city hall, county courthouse, or any federal building. Those are absolute no-no's! However businesses can post a sign and you can choose to ignore it, and IF they see that you are carrying they can ask you to leave, and if you don't then you get a trespass fine. It is not illegal to carry there just because they post a sign. While I don't need that kind of public humiliation of getting kicked out of a business, there are some businesses that I keep my cc on me, and ignore their signs. Even in small town Midwest, where would the nut-job likely show up?? School (too bad our teachers can't carry!), bar, convenience store, bank, movie theater .... probably in that order. If someone comes in there to shoot the place up while I'm in there, and my CC weapon is out in the truck, I'm as dead as the next guy and every guy past me. So, my advise is find out what the penalty is for carrying where it is posted and if your cc is VERY well hidden, then you need to make that choice to carry or not where it is posted but not illegal. Do NOT carry where it is clearly written to be illegal cuz then you will loose your permit. As far as business wise, I still bank where there are signs, it bothered me at first, but we may never agree with every business owner on all political topics anyway.

Here is how the IL law reads for carrying in restricted places and getting caught:

Except as otherwise provided, a licensee in violation of this Act shall be guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. A second or subsequent violation is a Class A misdemeanor. The Department may suspend a license for up to 6 months for a second violation and shall permanently revoke a license for 3 or more violations of Section 65 of this Act. Any person convicted of a violation under this Section shall pay a $150 fee to be deposited into the Mental Health Reporting Fund, plus any applicable court costs or fees.

If you violate the provisions on carrying while intoxicated the penalties are worse.

I just got my cc in Montana. I carry a lot now as I bought a Kimber Solo and it is very concealable(fits in the front pockets of my pants). So I am in the side of wanting to carry everywhere, but with that being said, I think the property owner should have every right to decide if they want. I think property rights are one of the biggest rights we as American's get, right next to being able to bear arms...or is it bare arms.. :D

I do have a question for the Montana guys, and maybe it is something I should ask the authorities. I bowl a lot, and the bowling alley has a "side" room where they serve alcohol. Is it illegal for me to carry in the bowling alley because people can consume alcohol in the whole building? I don't carry in there because I am not sure, although I am pretty sure it is illegal.

This is a great Country we live in.
Property owners have the ''Right'' to set restrictions on their property...........I have the ''Right'' to go elsewhere if I don't feel like meeting those restrictions.

Win/Win in my book.

Not sure about the banks but can have a weapon in your vehicle on school grounds as long as it is locked up. CC where alcohol is served as long as the carrier isn't consuming.

One thing to be aware of and look for is anti-gunners who patronize restaurants which allow carry and then covertly slap a no guns allowed decal on the door of the establishment when leaving. I don't know how widespread it is, but with today's social media sites the idea has probably spread nationwide. There have been recorded incidences here in NC in some of our liberal strongholds.

At my last renewal class, I was told banks were off limits since they are FDIC insured and technically "federal" buildings?? If I was unsure, I would find out or at least make sure I was actually concealed and not just "covered" like the people I spot printing from 50 yards away on a daily basis.

Here in SC, CCW holders can carry in any location that doesn't have a no weapons sign posted, with the exception of Court Houses and Federal offices. We can carry in city, county, and state offices unless they are posted. As for the banks, unless it's posted it's perfectly legal. My bank used not have any postings, but recently one of their branch offices in a small town about 15 miles from here was robbed, and now they have all of their offices posted. Our governor, just signed the Restaurant Carry Legislation that allows a CCW holder to keep their weapon inside the establishment as long as the gun owner doesn't consume any alcoholic beverages. I'm a non-drinker, and have always carried in these places unless they were posted. If they are posted, then I don't do business with them. I also carry in the post office, since this is a very small town and usually when I go in, it's to send a package or pick up a package and I go when it isn't busy; there is no sign prohibiting concealed weapons on the building. As for my bank that is now posted, I either use the drive in, or the ATM so I don't have to worry about it. Schools are gun free zones IF you enter the building or are attending an event on school property. In those instances I simply lock my gun in the console of my truck.......which always has a gun in it besides the one on my hip, anyway. I've been carrying with a CWP for 14 years in SC, and whenever we are at a license check or get stopped by a cop, we are required by law to advise them whether or not we have a concealed weapon on us or in the vehicle and we must also hand them the CWP along with our DL and insurance card. Failure to do so can result in a fine and potential loss of the CWP and since the picture is the same on both documents our CWP is tied to our DL, so if a cop runs a check on the DL or the license plate they will know (BTW, our hunting license is also tied to the DL and the tags so a game warden can instantly run our plate number and tell if we have a hunting license, as well).

Dainer, just for your information, the only banks that come under Federal protections are banks that have "national" in their name, or have branch offices in multiple states and are owned by a holding company that has the designation "NA" for national affiliation after the corporate name. All banks are FDIC insured, but not all banks are under Federal jurisdiction. For example my bank is Palmetto State Bank, and is a family owned bank with multiple locations in the low country part of the state. All independent banks come under state jurisdiction and regulation. Credit Unions are not FDIC insured, but come under NCUA (National Credit Union Association) insurance, regulation and jurisdiction. The only time any bank or credit union is considered to be a federal building is if it has an actual branch location inside of a Federal facility ( an example would be if there's an office located in a Federal Courthouse or on a Military base or something similar).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back