Caribou Gear

ATV's will be Legal on Forest Service Roads in Washington

Washington Hunter

As of July 1st, 2004, ATV's will be legal on forest service roads, if a bill now in the legislature passes. It has made it halfway through the session and is expected to pass. ATV's have not been legal on forest service roads because, as I understand it, these roads are considered "highways" as defined under Washington state law, and therefore ATV's could not be used as they are not street legal. This is all changing now and I think it is a good thing. Why not let ATV's on these roads, many of which are not regularly maintained? After all, that is what these roads are for. If they are open for street legal motorbikes, jeeps, pickups, etc. then why not ATV's? Just keep the damn things on the roads (and some trails) and NOT off the roads degrading wildlife habitat. There is another separate bill that is going to provide a certain percentage of the funds from the state gas tax for enforcement of off road vehicles, and other things related to ORV's. From the legislatures web site, this is the testimony for the bill:

Testimony For: The issue of access is very important to the recreational community. In neighboring states, including Oregon and Idaho,ORVs can operate on forest roads. In Washington, ORVs must comply with vehicle licensing equirements. There is a lack of legal places to ride, and it is difficult and expensive to make ORVs street legal. ORVs could be used on roads to conduct road and trail maintenance activities. If ORVs have more infrastructure to use, this will lessen the impact of operating ORVs in unauthorized areas.

The Forest Service has worked in cooperation with ORV user groups and the state. The Forest Service generally agrees with the purposes of the bill, and is currently working on policies to manage ORV use in national forests. There is room for improvements in the original bill for safety provisions and consistent definitions. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) supports ORV use as an allowable recreational use when compatible with land management objectives, and supports the flexibility and rider safety provisions in the bill.
For anyone interested, here is the link to the House Bill Report:www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2003-04/House/2350-2374/2356_hbr_01232004.txt

Here is another quote from the actual bill:

Sec. 1. The legislature finds that off-road recreational vehicles (ORVs) provide opportunities for a wide variety of outdoor
recreation activities. The legislature further finds that the growing popularity of ORV use and the limited amount of ORV trails presents a challenge for ORV recreational users, natural resource land managers, and private landowners. The legislature further finds that many nonhighway and unpaved roads provide opportunities for ORV use. However, restrictions intended for motor vehicles may prevent ORV use on certain roads, including forest service roads. Therefore, the legislature finds that local, state, and federal jurisdictions should be given the flexibility to allow ORV use on nonhighway roads.
www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2003-04/House/2350-2374/2356-s_01262004.txt

So what do you guys think? Is it good or bad?

Well I didn't get into the links, but I don't have a problem. IMO if a road is open for full-size vehicles then it should allow quads. If you are driving off-road (quad or pick-up), then I have a problem.

Well I didn't expect much response on this topic with that other ATV/Axolotl thread going, especially with the heavy duty spanking Ten Bears is taking from Buzz and others. :D

This really isn't news for anybody who lives outside of Washington state, as I believe in most states ATV's are allowed on most forest service roads. It just always seemed ridiculous to me to not allow ATV's where they really should be used...on the ROADS!! Of course the new rules does not mean EVERY forest service road/trail will automatically be open for ATV's...just that it will be an option and will be up to the particular National Forest or Ranger District to make those decisions.

It is my opinion that ATV`s do less damage than bigger heavier 4x4 if ridden on the same road, so why not.

I don't see a problem with it, either, WH. I like the provisions for OHV enforcement; that's an excellent step.

No complaints with it from me either, sounds reasonable.

I am kind of suprised that ATV's havent been legal all along on FS roads.

Good move, but why is it people want ATV's on roads with passenger vehicles, but not have roads for ATV's without passenger vehicles?

Ten Bears, well I think it's because while some of these roads are open for passenger vehicle use, they really aren't maintained very well for that purpose. So it seems ATV's would be a good option for somebody who doesn't have a jeep or the equivalent.

Thats good WH, my buddy got a ticket over here in yakima cause he didnt know that law. It was just a old gravel road to anybody else but it was a F.S road. Keep us posted on this bill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back