ATV's and Shedding?

YoungBuck

How many of you guys use ATV's to shed hunt off of? My dad and I use ours every once in a while if we find a road that we think will lead back into some good country....we dont shed hunt off of them but we do drive them up the tough roads where not as many people go.
I have heard of people riding around looking from them and finding a few...but I would think you would miss a ton.
I have also seen A TON of tracks in some of the spots I shed hunt....One of these days there will be a fire caused by someone out screwin off lookn for antlers during the dry season.
YB

If there is a road open, go for it. Hopefully those that are off-roading aren't harrassing the deer too much this time of year when they are at their weakest as well as tearing up the habitat.

Unfortunatley alot of shed hunters use them offroad where they shouldn`t... why do they think its ok to shed hunt but not do it on a regular hunt.... last year they were busting some guys who were up in unit 10 [lots of flat ground] driving all over the place.. most were not regular hunters though... just guys looking to make some easy cash.

ATV's have made shed hunting in AZ very frustrating. Lots of cut fences and quad tracks everywhere. Unfortunately a lot of the prime shedhunting areas are very accessible by quads.

ATV's should be banned from operating anywhere other than roads capable of being driven by passenger vehicles...for ANY REASON.

ATV's suck!!!! And thats the truth.

This is a sore subject with me...don't get me started about atv's!!! If i had a dollar for every time i went to walk a spot and there was atv tracks all over I'd have a pair of leica binos!

Just when you think you have a spot away from everyone else....BOOM 4wheeler tracks! I know what you mean...happens about 1 out of every 2 times I go out....but I brush it off and do alright....they cant spot them all!
YB

I can't believe where some guys will go or where the 4 wheelers are able to go. I have seen tracks in places where I would have thought they would have rolled them over (not to wish bad luck on anyone hump). I think they tend to make good people lazy and bad people worse.

It seems that once one guy has gone off the beaten path with his 4wheeler the next guy does the same and so on and so on....Then it branches off from that path and more and more land gets trampled.....pretty soon you wont be able to go anywhere without seeing a 4wheeler track....and then the guys that use the 4wheelers the right way wont be able to use them at all.
YB

One time i met a shed hunter on an atv that told me he had to find twice as many sheds that year then the year before to pay for the 4 wheeler he rolled the previous year hunting for sheds.

I've also heard of guys telling stories of running over sheds with their 4 wheelers, in a way they talk about it like they are bragging...crazy people out there.

It aint what it used to be

I have shed hunted every year for the past 8 years, I have steadily watched it become less and less for fun and more for $$$$$, look at EBAY sometime and type in "elk shed"
The quad guys do make it tough on the boot hunters, 3 hours up through the sage and then, whats that sound ???? a quad !

Back