ATV Pros Is Open!!

weapondepot

Well the site has finally gone live.

http://www.atvpros.net

As you can see, the site is only a few days old and is in serious need of some content. I know we have to have some ATV enthusiast here at Hunt Talk, so if you guys/gals would be so kind, could you take a look at the site and maybe post some stuff?

If you do not want to post anything, could you maybe take a look at the site and give me feedback, good or bad I would like to hear it.

Moosie, I hope you do not mind me posting this, if it is a problem please let me know and I will delete it immediately :)

Thanks everyone!! :)

Why would somebody post an ATV thread on a Hunting Board? ATVs ruin more hunting than any other invention. The sooner they are banned from the last remaining places they are allowed, the better the hunting will be.

You truly believe that??

I will agree that irresponsible riders do no good to our forests, deserts and what not, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with responsible riding.

So then I suppose I need to ask how ATV's ruin hunting?

If you were to ask me what ruins hunting, I will give you a few quick examples:

• Land Development
  • Poachers
  • Irresponsible Hunters

So please, let me know how ATV's ruin hunting, especially when I know a ton of hunters that travel in on ATV's.

Too many ATV'ers pioneer trails where there was none before thereby displacing game not to mention the actual acreage of habitat impacted by tire tracks--every 1.7 miles of new trail (assuming a nominal trail width of 5 feet) equals a acre of lost range. This is especially true in winter range habitat such as sage flats.

And, uh...poachers and irresponsible hunters tend to fond of atv's.........

Agreed anything is sustainable when participants act responsibly. Sadly, that segment of atv'ers who stay on the trails or in the designated rec areas is dwindling.

Erik in AK said:
Too many ATV'ers pioneer trails where there was none before thereby displacing game not to mention the actual acreage of habitat impacted by tire tracks--every 1.7 miles of new trail (assuming a nominal trail width of 5 feet) equals a acre of lost range. This is especially true in winter range habitat such as sage flats.

And, uh...poachers and irresponsible hunters tend to fond of atv's.........

Agreed anything is sustainable when participants act responsibly. Sadly, that segment of atv'ers who stay on the trails or in the designated rec areas is dwindling.

I completely agree...there are those ATV'ers who definately make a bad name for everyone, I can honestly say that we have always left a trail in better shape than when we first arrived at it.

Please do not try to tell me that only poachers and irresponsible hunters are the only hunters that use ATV's...that is like saying only irresponsible fisherman use boats.

As to your first comment, I would then take it that you are opposed to leaving the pavement with your truck / car right? After all, a 3000# vehicle is going to tear up the landscape more than a 700# ATV.

Simply put, responsible trail riding needs to happen...this is not only true for the hunters, but for other people who chose to enjoy nature. I did not put this site together for people to talk about how they destroy the land, face it, who wants to ride in a forest that is all destroyed from ATV use.

There is an argument for and against everything.

I was not trying to cause any problems and it would appear that I have, so for that my apologies to all the members and Moosie.

Depot, no offense here, but understand that HT has some members who are adamantly against anything but strictly regulated ATV use on public land.

This topic has been hotly debated several times in scores of threads in various sections on this board. There are two camps and although I am generally neutral to anti on ATV use on BLM and NF lands, I recognize that the majority of Hunt Talkers who are pro-ATV use, are most likely members of the responsible minority. I happen to prefer walking in with camp on my back.

You asked a Q and I tried to answer it. It only takes a few bad apples....and yes I agree that highway vehicles should stay on maintained roads.

And BTW, good luck with your new venture.

The only experience I have with ATVers is to have them ride thru my hunting grounds, tearing everything up, and leaving beer cans, coffee cups, and debris spread all over.
Last year I was invited to a workmates camp in Pennsylvania for deer season. When I got there I discovered they had a whopping 40 acres, and rode ATV's to get to their spots. The first day my workmate (notice I don't use the phrase friend) and I drove about 8 miles to hunt a little 20 acre patch of woods they owned, while his family members ATV'ed to the 40 acres directly behind the camp. All but one filled their tags on the 40. The next mornig they said we should go up and hunt the stands that produced the day before. When we left my workmate said I should get on the back of his ATV an ride the 400 yards to the first stand. I said I would walk, but he he insisted and I rode with him, the trail was so muddy and tore up from them using these machines, you couldn't have walked it if you wanted to. Hunted all day, and at dark I started back (only saw one little flat head) when he pulled up and again insisted that I get on. We got almost to the cabin, he hit the hill wrong, and over we went, rolling down the hill, with my .270 strapped to my back, and a 4 wheeler rolling behind me. NEVER AGAIN. BAN them all.

weapondepot, I suggest you do a search for ATV topics in the Sportsman's Issues section. ATVs and the irresponsible fatassed slobs who ride them are ruining hunting for the ethical and responsible sportsmen. The fact that you're not even aware of how serious the problem is shows that you're probably part of the problem.

Here's a place to start:

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22322&highlight=fatassed

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=81245

You need some education. Happy reading!

You guys crack me up... someone just asked for opinions on his site and you make it all political.

Ithaca 37 said:
weapondepot, I suggest you do a search for ATV topics in the Sportsman's Issues section. ATVs and the irresponsible fatassed slobs who ride them are ruining hunting for the ethical and responsible sportsmen. The fact that you're not even aware of how serious the problem is shows that you're probably part of the problem.

Here's a place to start:

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22322&highlight=fatassed

http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/search.php?searchid=81245

You need some education. Happy reading!

How can you honestly sit there and tell me I am part of the problem. You do not know me whatsoever. So I'll tell ya what, since you would like to generalize, I will do the same.

Research shows that the majority of violent crimes are committed by individuals with guns. With that said, the fact that you own a weapon makes you part of the violence problem we have here in the United States.

Is that a fair statement?

That was used to make a point, this is definately not my stance on gun ownership at all.

Whiskers said:
The only experience I have with ATVers is to have them ride thru my hunting grounds, tearing everything up, and leaving beer cans, coffee cups, and debris spread all over.
Last year I was invited to a workmates camp in Pennsylvania for deer season. When I got there I discovered they had a whopping 40 acres, and rode ATV's to get to their spots. The first day my workmate (notice I don't use the phrase friend) and I drove about 8 miles to hunt a little 20 acre patch of woods they owned, while his family members ATV'ed to the 40 acres directly behind the camp. All but one filled their tags on the 40. The next mornig they said we should go up and hunt the stands that produced the day before. When we left my workmate said I should get on the back of his ATV an ride the 400 yards to the first stand. I said I would walk, but he he insisted and I rode with him, the trail was so muddy and tore up from them using these machines, you couldn't have walked it if you wanted to. Hunted all day, and at dark I started back (only saw one little flat head) when he pulled up and again insisted that I get on. We got almost to the cabin, he hit the hill wrong, and over we went, rolling down the hill, with my .270 strapped to my back, and a 4 wheeler rolling behind me. NEVER AGAIN. BAN them all.

Ok so then if I understand this correctly, you hate quads cause you were riding with someone who could not ride and had an accident?

I completely understand what you are speaking of in the first part of your comment and honestly agree with you. Far too many times to people go out on quads / morotcycles with the simple intent of tearing things up and littering. Should trails be ridden on when they are soaked from previous rains, absolutely not as it creates ruts and tears up the natural landscape. Should guys go out mudding, throwing back beers and leave them on the side of the trail, again absolutely not. Is it acceptable to trail ride the back road to Crown King (for those of you in AZ) stop and have lunch and then come home, absolutely. As I stated before, we have always left trails in better condition than when we arrived at them. We have returned from the Dunes with bags of additional trash because of slobs who cannot pick up after themselves.

The key thing, BE RESPONSIBLE!! If all riders were responsible, you all would not be pissed at me for asking for feedback on my site.

Moosie, I hope you do not mind me posting this, if it is a problem

No problem bud..... But good luck with some here, ATV's, Game farms, and Pres. Bush always are a tough subject.

You should stick to easy topics like religion .. ;)

Moosie said:
No problem bud..... But good luck with some here, ATV's, Game farms, and Pres. Bush always are a tough subject.

You should stick to easy topics like religion .. ;)

No kidding, religion is sounding easier and easier now :)

I probably would have been better off asking for feed back on my weapondepot.com site ;)

Honestly I guess I really never thought about what a bad name ATV / motorcycle riders have been given since I have always gone riding to enjoy nature not destroy it.

Believe it or not, I do fully understand what everyone is saying, I am just not that type of rider.

weapondepot said:
How can you honestly sit there and tell me I am part of the problem. You do not know me whatsoever. So I'll tell ya what, since you would like to generalize, I will do the same.

Research shows that the majority of violent crimes are committed by individuals with guns. With that said, the fact that you own a weapon makes you part of the violence problem we have here in the United States.

Is that a fair statement?

That was used to make a point, this is definately not my stance on gun ownership at all.

LMAO

Delw

Awesome SITE... hump I want one with 400 horsepower, a winch, 6 wheel drive!!!.. hump ..Don`t worry about Jose, and Ithaca they can`t afford one anyway. :D :D :)

Forest's illegal trails lead to ban on dirt bikes, ATVs
Dirt bikers blamed: Rangers in Hood River, Ore., say the illicit routes cause erosion and damage habitat for native trout

Source: Associated Press
Date: September 11, 2005
Byline: Matthew Daly

MOUNT HOOD NATIONAL FOREST, Ore. - Sliding down a rocky dirt path, Forest Service ranger Kevin Slagle struggles to keep his balance.

The crudely cut trail in the Mount Hood National Forest not only is treacherous but is eroding the land and hurting native trout and other species, Slagle says.

It's also against the law.

The pathway, in the Gibson Prairie area in the forest's northeast section, is one of a growing number of illegal trails scarring public lands throughout the West.

''It's a new pioneer mentality,'' said Slagle, recreation manager for the Hood River, Ore., ranger district.

Those who cut the trail - most likely dirt bikers looking for a new thrill on the heavily used forest - ''feel they have the right to do it,'' he said. ''Some of them think they are providing a public service.''

Forest officials sharply disagree.

Frustrated by the sprawl of illegal trails, the Forest Service has issued a two-year ban for all off-road use of dirt bikes or other motorized vehicles in the Gibson Prairie area. The order covers about 11,000 acres in the northeastern part of Mount Hood, where officials estimate at least 30 miles of illegal trails have been carved since last year.
''It's been an organized effort,'' Slagle said. ''Somebody has gone in there and mapped out a trail system, flagged it on the ground and cut it from the inside out.''

Similar illegal trails have sprouted in public forests nationwide and become a focus of contention from California to Pennsylvania.

Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth calls unmanaged recreation one of the four major threats facing the Forest Service, along with wildfires, invasive species and loss of open space.

Last year, Bosworth proposed a draft national policy that would restrict all-terrain vehicles, motorized trail bikes and other off-road motor vehicles to designated roads and trails in all 155 national forests and 20 grasslands.

The plan, to be completed this fall, comes as use of off-road vehicles reaches new heights. In the past three decades, the number of off-road vehicle users has increased sevenfold to about 36 million, causing conflicts with other users such as hikers, horseback riders and the growing number of homeowners who live near national forests.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition, an Idaho-based group that advocates motorized recreation, said most off-roaders are responsible and are being unfairly singled out.

The group wants to ensure that most trails and open areas now used by all-terrain vehicles remain accessible to riders.

''We're committed to working with the agency in a fair and balanced way, but we certainly are not going to put up with trail closures without due process,'' said Don Amador, the group's Western representative.

Amador called the Gibson Prairie closing arbitrary and said it was unfair that Forest Service officials blamed dirt bikers. Two other Forest Service officials who recently toured Mount Hood also identified off-roaders as the most likely culprits.

In truth, Amador said, officials don't know who carved the trail, which stretches for several hundred yards in an area a short walk from a paved road.

The trail's existence ''reflects poorly on the management of the area by the Forest Service,'' Amador said. ''The fact is, they are not out aggressively signing those roads and trails they want people to use.''

The whole issue of unmanaged recreation ''is not just a user problem, but an agency problem which has not been doing its job,'' Amador said.

That assessment was shared by one of the nation's largest environmental groups. The Wilderness Society supports Bosworth's draft plan, but says the real test will be how the rules are enforced.

''These regulations are not going to be worth the paper they're printed on if there are not the dollars and the resources to do the planning and enforce the rules,'' said Scott Kovarovics, director of the society's natural trails and waters coalition.

No new rules are needed to crack down on do-it-yourself trails, Kovarovics said. ''That activity is illegal, and the agency can't stop it because they don't have the money and the personnel,'' he said.

Glen Sachet, a spokesman for the Mount Hood National Forest, agreed that enforcement is a problem but said budget cuts and an ongoing decline in timber sales have left the agency with fewer resources to patrol a forest that has more than 3,400 miles of roads and about 1,000 miles of trails - including about 100 miles that are open to dirt bikers and ATV riders.

''I would say the need is greater than the resources we have, and we will fully utilize all the human and monetary resources we have,'' Sachet said.

About 240 people now work at Mount Hood, down from a peak of about 800 in 1990. The forest, which encompasses more than 1 million acres 20 miles east of Portland, eliminated its entire road-maintenance staff earlier this year to save money, turning to private contractors instead.

Despite its budget woes, the Forest Service has done its best to educate users about the dangers - and consequences - of using illegal trails, Sachet said. Riding on or building an illegal trail can draw a $5,000 fine.

No one has been cited since the Gibson Prairie ban went into effect in June.

Kovarovics, of the Wilderness Society, notes that there are some 274,000 miles of roads and trails open on national forests across the country - more than enough for off-road enthusiasts to enjoy.

''I don't think most folks would conceive of going out and blazing their own routes on their neighbor's property. It should be no less unacceptable on lands belonging to everybody,'' he said.

Nemont

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back