Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

ATV loop proposed from Challis to Arco

That is so funny that MD thinks there is no evidence of man in the Wilderness. Maybe if she ever got off her 4 Wheeler, and went into the Wilderness, she would find roads, bridges, trails, outhouses, landing strips, mines, cabins, stores, swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts.

You can put anything in a WSA, and a lot more should be studied.

MD, You still haven't explained how we can create more wilderness. I'm patiently waiting, but doubt you can produce.
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

I would say she(MD4M) was referring to the creation of wilderness through more designation of wilderness. I wonder about some here and their agendas though. This is an opportunity for an area of designation, and enforcement, yet now they whine (need some cheese?) about that. GUNNER, who's funding this program, can you tell me that? Nowhere did I see mention of creating new trails or roads, just the designation of a loop(s) for ATV riding. Afraid you might lose some of your prime "passenger vehicle" road hunting country? :D

Part of the IDPR’s sales pitch is that the trail will stimulate the economies of Challis, Arco and Mackay. The proposed trail is modeled after the 500-mile-long Paiute Trail in south-central Utah, which in 2001 attracted more than 60,000 riders, who spent about $6 million in the area.
Wow, would you guys want this in your back yards?

An annual budget of $62,000 is proposed to cover operating costs. Claycomb said his department has budgeted enough money to fund two full-time rangers to patrol the ATV trail.
Paying two full-time rangers $12/hour isn't going to leave much left to rehab areas destroyed by the fat-asses leaving the trail.

Andy Goodwin, a rancher in Mackay and part-time Ketchum resident, said in an interview that he fears the trail will attract so many ATV users that the valleys it runs through will become overwhelmed.

"The people will not stay on those trails," he said. "What’s actually going to happen is that they’re going to give people a main artery from which they can branch out and go wherever they want."

Mackay rancher Keith Hill said he doubts the public agencies will be able to control illegal use, and fears there would be heavy impacts on wildlife, especially elk, on the landscape and on the peace of the valley.

"When the ATVs are out there, you can spot every one of them from the dust clouds," he said.

Hill said most of the other speakers at the Mackay meeting made statements similar to his.
How may ATV riders are in the state? Where were they? Sounds like some of the folks at the meeting have a good idea where this plan is heading.

Oak

Mackay rancher Keith Hill said he doubts the public agencies will be able to control illegal use, and fears there would be heavy impacts on wildlife, especially elk, on the landscape and on the peace of the valley.

"When the ATVs are out there, you can spot every one of them from the dust clouds," he said.

Hill said most of the other speakers at the Mackay meeting made statements similar to his.
Ever wonder how much of his "private Idaho" is being used to exclude others from their "public Idaho"? After months of bashing cow farmers, now they have worth, is that what you're implying????? I have no problem with his operation (even if he grazes the public land he's trying to keep others off). How many of these roads are already open for travel?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back