Caribou Gear

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Camped on a spot Thursday night to hunt Friday morning. Hopes were not high, but figured we could atleast get some shots off at some woodies and fool a passing mallard or two.

Thursday night a fire was started, friends were made, laughs were shared and a few adult beverages were consumed.

Woke up at 4am, made some coffee and some quick breakfast tacos. At 5am we made it to our makeshift blind and by 545am decoys were set.
I figured we were in for a rough day when by shooting time not a single bird had flown over.
We joked around and bs'd until 8am, only seeing 6 birds, we decided to pack it up.

Not the morning we had hoped for, but we had fun and ate good!View attachment 203283
thats a nice looking hole

I tried using lead core fishing line but even with that eventually the lab would
eventually snag the jerkline especially since I hunt shallow water:
I’m at a loss, I don’t have this issue. Most retrieves are a straight line and don’t have him crossing the jerk line. Try a different launching point when you mark the retrieve?

I’m at a loss, I don’t have this issue. Most retrieves are a straight line and don’t have him crossing the jerk line. Try a different launching point when you mark the retrieve?
I typically wait until there are 5 or 6 ducks down and action is slow so many multiple retrieves, usually at least one across the jerk line. My solution was to use short lines with battery operated wiggling duck butt and mojo flickers.

That explains it. The only place I hit 79 degrees anymore is my truck. This season went way too fast.
I had a drake cinnamon fly over my spread on Saturday, Nov 27 here in the Salt Lake area. I was really surprised. Wish I would have noticed it sooner, because I just watched him fly over my head and out of my life.

I had a drake cinnamon fly over my spread on Saturday, Nov 27 here in the Salt Lake area. I was really surprised. Wish I would have noticed it sooner, because I just watched him fly over my head and out of my life.
I would’ve shot frantically, three times at him and watch him fly away untouched! 🤣🤣

We almost hit 70 today in North Central MT. Fire season is alive and well right now…

We almost hit 70 today in North Central MT. Fire season is alive and well right now…
Bowdoin is open water again. Saw one large flock of geese leaving when I arrived to hunt pheasants today ... again wearing just my shirtsleeves ... in 30+ mph wind. Haven't worn gloves in weeks. Usually it's zero or colder when I'm hunting here the first week of December. Scary warm.

Bowdoin is open water again. Saw one large flock of geese leaving when I arrived to hunt pheasants today ... again wearing just my shirtsleeves ... in 30+ mph wind. Haven't worn gloves in weeks. Usually it's zero or colder when I'm hunting here the first week of December. Scary warm.
Looks like a change this week...Malta MT low of -5F Sunday morning Dec. 5,

I did something this morning I haven’t done in over 20 years, I fell in while duck hunting! I went to step off the dock onto the bow of my boat in a rush, didn’t step into the center of the bow, boat started to twist, I lost my balance and I went right into the drink. I filled my waders in the process. Luckily it was right next to the dock which I grabbed onto as another guy on the dock grabbed ahold of me. I shimmied a bit down the dock still in the water until I could stand and then I walked up the boat ramp dripping wet, inside and out. I can’t remember the last time I felt that stupid. I then made the dumbest decision of the day. Instead of just putting the boat back on the trailer and going home on account of being soaked to the bone and it being 37 degrees, I decided to wring out my clothes, dump the water out of my waders and go hunt. Needless to say I only lasted about an hour before I called it and picked up my set while my hands still worked a little. My feet were already ice blocks. The fact that nothing was flying seemed to make it even colder. It was a good reminder how dangerous cold and wet can be and how I need to be more careful and move slower when duck hunting solo in cold weather. I’m just glad it happened right next to the dock so I was never in any real danger. Stupid, just stupid. Hopefully some other people had more a productive Sunday morning waterfowling than I did.

I did something this morning I haven’t done in over 20 years, I fell in while duck hunting! I went to step off the dock onto the bow of my boat in a rush, didn’t step into the center of the bow, boat started to twist, I lost my balance and I went right into the drink. I filled my waders in the process. Luckily it was right next to the dock which I grabbed onto as another guy on the dock grabbed ahold of me. I shimmied a bit down the dock still in the water until I could stand and then I walked up the boat ramp dripping wet, inside and out. I can’t remember the last time I felt that stupid. I then made the dumbest decision of the day. Instead of just putting the boat back on the trailer and going home on account of being soaked to the bone and it being 37 degrees, I decided to wring out my clothes, dump the water out of my waders and go hunt. Needless to say I only lasted about an hour before I called it and picked up my set while my hands still worked a little. My feet were already ice blocks. The fact that nothing was flying seemed to make it even colder. It was a good reminder how dangerous cold and wet can be and how I need to be more careful and move slower when duck hunting solo in cold weather. I’m just glad it happened right next to the dock so I was never in any real danger. Stupid, just stupid. Hopefully some other people had more a productive Sunday morning waterfowling than I did.
I haven't fallen in all the way in a long time. Can't remember the last time I hunted water without getting wet one way or another. Glad your alright, it can be dangerous especially now that the Temps have fallen.

Back