Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Have any of you fine folks painted a aluminum jon boat?

I grabbed a cheap 10 footer to get my son back into a couple skinny water impoundments near me. I left it in the pond for a couple weeks with sand bags in it to make sure it was watertight.

I spent all of Friday and Saturday pressure washing, sanding and wiping it down with acetone to shiny metal, and applying waterweld to some loose rivets on the sides. I shot it with etching primer today, in two coats.

Should I use a anti-fouling on the bottom? The only time the boat will be in the water is when were in it, so I'm thinking it'd just be a waste of money. Looking at going with Duralux marine enamel, and using a high pressure airless gun.

I haven't sprayed enamel before, so to keep it from skinning over I'm guessing highest pressure, fast motions and light coats? Any other tips?

I grabbed a cheap 10 footer to get my son back into a couple skinny water impoundments near me. I left it in the pond for a couple weeks with sand bags in it to make sure it was watertight.

I spent all of Friday and Saturday pressure washing, sanding and wiping it down with acetone to shiny metal, and applying waterweld to some loose rivets on the sides. I shot it with etching primer today, in two coats.

Should I use a anti-fouling on the bottom? The only time the boat will be in the water is when were in it, so I'm thinking it'd just be a waste of money. Looking at going with Duralux marine enamel, and using a high pressure airless gun.

I haven't sprayed enamel before, so to keep it from skinning over I'm guessing highest pressure, fast motions and light coats? Any other tips?
I did a 1436 to bare metal, etched, then bought some Herter's camo boat paint. 2 coats and started using it.
Held up good enough for 4 years of use before I sold the boat.

There were times I thought about getting 'gator glide' for the bottom, but there were really only a handful of times it would have been helpful

I took my Duckwater down to bare aluminum, acid etched and used a self etching primer then sprayed with Parker duck boat paint. I sprayed with an air gun, thinned the paint and light coats. Has held up great for 5 years.
No need for any antifouling treatment on underside.
20171121_141527.jpg

Super happy with how that paint went on, just wish it was a bit darker or greener or something. Its about the color of peanut butter. I'll hit it with a second coat tomorrow and then flip it Thursday to get a couple coats on the bottom. Ordered some stencils, so hopefully I can have it stenciled and the blind installed this weekend.

IMG_20220816_163229465.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_131021044.jpg
    IMG_20220813_131021044.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220814_124939002.jpg
    IMG_20220814_124939002.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Early goose on Thursday! Wrapped up the conduit blind on the boat this morning. Just need to get some rubber wire tires to secure the burlap going down the road. Probably should get the fastgrass out and grass it in, but we'll just park it in the reeds the first few days before they start wising up.

Planning on spending tomorrow morning after dropping my son off at school driving around checking the impoundments on the state ground for loafers. Get an idea where my daughter and I should try to set up on the opener.

IMG_20220830_144252564.jpg

IMG_20220830_143651798.jpg

Early goose on Thursday! Wrapped up the conduit blind on the boat this morning. Just need to get some rubber wire tires to secure the burlap going down the road. Probably should get the fastgrass out and grass it in, but we'll just park it in the reeds the first few days before they start wising up.

Planning on spending tomorrow morning after dropping my son off at school driving around checking the impoundments on the state ground for loafers. Get an idea where my daughter and I should try to set up on the opener.

View attachment 236981

View attachment 236979
Looks good. I need to do the same to my old boat.

For me it will be the ol' faithful Mossberg 535 with Remmington Hypersteel after geese and something else for lighter for for ducks shell wise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back