Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Has anyone ever used a Stealth 2000? Supposedly they are pretty stable and can support a small motor and camo covering.
I own one, and really like it , have the side motor mount but never used it. Previous owner put battery under seat and ran trolling motor. I don't have attached blind, but really durable and no doubt it can support weight. I've stood feet on either gunwale and rocked it back and forth without coming close to tipping. Only complaint from me is its heavy to get into truck. Let me know if you have specific questions

I own one, and really like it , have the side motor mount but never used it. Previous owner put battery under seat and ran trolling motor. I don't have attached blind, but really durable and no doubt it can support weight. I've stood feet on either gunwale and rocked it back and forth without coming close to tipping. Only complaint from me is its heavy to get into truck. Let me know if you have specific questions
Thanks for the information. It sounds like a good option.

Once in a blue moon, the flock shot works out (when it does, it’s always blue wings).

Two shots, three ducks.

View attachment 242349
The only multibird shot I ever made was also on blue wings. I was using blackpowder and when the smoke cleared there were three birds on the water. Gus and I were both stunned, though Gus enjoyed the extra work.

I got the lead bird on the near side, but didn't realize that the birds on the far side fo the flock were so far forward.

Oh so tasty...

My best "Scotch triple" was a 3 in 1 on pintail drakes, back when the limit was higher fortunately. I was shooting a 10 gauge with 1-3/4 ounces of #2's, crossing shot at ~50 yards, group of 3 drakes, nothing else. First 2 were stacked together, so wasn't too surprised when they both folded. But the 3rd bird was trailing 3-4 feet behind so I was shocked when he dropped too, I guess the pattern was really strung out at that distance. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I have taken countless two-for-one honkers. Usually the second shot as they flare away. Just look for a couple flying into each other. Only once did I get a "scotch triple" on geese (not flock shooting).

I get so many banded geese I don't pay much attention to the details any more. Of course I send in band numbers immediately. And also write the band number on the wing envelope so the person at the wing bee can check his/her skill in aging the bird.

Last edited:
Quick report on my opening day hunt. This is my third season waterfowling and I have avoided opening morning on the WMAs near me. It is a bit chaotic. In fact, I have avoided mornings altogether because I didn't want to mess up others' hunts with my newbie blunderings. That is also why I have gone much deeper into the WMAs to get away from most other hunters while I learn the ropes. After some internal debate, I decided to go for it this year and hunt opening morning. Arriving at the WMA, all of the parking areas were overflowing, people and dogs were everywhere, there was a line for the boat ramp, and it was nuts.

After squeezing my Subaru into a parking spot between two boat trailers, I unloaded my bike, hooked up the trailer and kayak, loaded my gear into it, and started pedaling the 5+ miles into the darkness to get to the unit I had planned to hunt. Arrived there with plenty of time. Not too many other hunters around. I had planned to set up in a small island of phragmites in the middle of a unit. I paddled out, eventually finding the spot in the darkness (now marked on OnX). I tossed out my decoys and tucked into the vegetation to wait until shooting light. It sounded like a warzone when legal light hit, although not too many shots from near me. The sky filled with birds and several were flying or landing near me. It was a bit overwhelming to ID and pick out birds. I had five down within the first twenty minutes or so. Things slowed after that, but I scratched out a mixed bag limit by 9:00. Paddled out, loaded the gear back in the kayak and then the kayak on the trailer, and biked back to my car in the parking lot, passing lots of hunters on my way back.

Takeaways:
  • I will be hunting more mornings, including opening morning.
  • I am learning more about waterfowl behaviors and preferences. Where I was set up was mostly a redhead and ruddy spot, being out in the middle. Looking back on the times I hunted that same location last year, it was the same, lots of redheads and ruddies. That limited my opportunities, as I passed on several birds. I'll start setting up in edge pockets more for teal, mallard, widgeon, etc.
  • I need to plan so I can see a bit better in the morning light, accounting for horizons, sunrise, etc. I had birds appearing out of thin air because I couldn't pick them out of the background until they were right on top of me.
  • My new hide (grass mats and blind doors on my H10 kayak) worked! I trimmed them up when I got back to the house and will keep experimenting. The BAR blind seat worked well too.
  • I just started messing with decoys and I definitely don't know what I am doing.
  • Perhaps I don't suck at duck hunting. Maybe it's just that hard work compensates for a lack of skill and experience.

No pics on this one. All of the birds looked like drowned rats after sitting in the bottom of my kayak. And they were all brown, including the one redhead drake I got.

Planning to go back out Thursday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning.

Quick report on my opening day hunt. This is my third season waterfowling and I have avoided opening morning on the WMAs near me. It is a bit chaotic. In fact, I have avoided mornings altogether because I didn't want to mess up others' hunts with my newbie blunderings. That is also why I have gone much deeper into the WMAs to get away from most other hunters while I learn the ropes. After some internal debate, I decided to go for it this year and hunt opening morning. Arriving at the WMA, all of the parking areas were overflowing, people and dogs were everywhere, there was a line for the boat ramp, and it was nuts.

After squeezing my Subaru into a parking spot between two boat trailers, I unloaded my bike, hooked up the trailer and kayak, loaded my gear into it, and started pedaling the 5+ miles into the darkness to get to the unit I had planned to hunt. Arrived there with plenty of time. Not too many other hunters around. I had planned to set up in a small island of phragmites in the middle of a unit. I paddled out, eventually finding the spot in the darkness (now marked on OnX). I tossed out my decoys and tucked into the vegetation to wait until shooting light. It sounded like a warzone when legal light hit, although not too many shots from near me. The sky filled with birds and several were flying or landing near me. It was a bit overwhelming to ID and pick out birds. I had five down within the first twenty minutes or so. Things slowed after that, but I scratched out a mixed bag limit by 9:00. Paddled out, loaded the gear back in the kayak and then the kayak on the trailer, and biked back to my car in the parking lot, passing lots of hunters on my way back.

Takeaways:
  • I will be hunting more mornings, including opening morning.
  • I am learning more about waterfowl behaviors and preferences. Where I was set up was mostly a redhead and ruddy spot, being out in the middle. Looking back on the times I hunted that same location last year, it was the same, lots of redheads and ruddies. That limited my opportunities, as I passed on several birds. I'll start setting up in edge pockets more for teal, mallard, widgeon, etc.
  • I need to plan so I can see a bit better in the morning light, accounting for horizons, sunrise, etc. I had birds appearing out of thin air because I couldn't pick them out of the background until they were right on top of me.
  • My new hide (grass mats and blind doors on my H10 kayak) worked! I trimmed them up when I got back to the house and will keep experimenting. The BAR blind seat worked well too.
  • I just started messing with decoys and I definitely don't know what I am doing.
  • Perhaps I don't suck at duck hunting. Maybe it's just that hard work compensates for a lack of skill and experience.

No pics on this one. All of the birds looked like drowned rats after sitting in the bottom of my kayak. And they were all brown, including the one redhead drake I got.

Planning to go back out Thursday afternoon/evening and Saturday morning.
Sounds good sir! Please keep us posted!

Expanding from being an amateur goose hunter to an amateur duck hunter. Picked a spot on a local creek, chucked out some decoys, and turned up my first mallard and wood duck. Must've seen 30 or 40 birds by 9am, seemed like a great day to me!

20221010_090900.jpg

Is this how the axle on your duckboat trailer is supposed to look? I don’t think so. I’m just glad the wheel didn’t fall off going down the highway this morning. Anybody wanna buy a boat?

Attachments

• 081D77D3-2019-447C-8CC5-484661D1427F.jpeg
    081D77D3-2019-447C-8CC5-484661D1427F.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 24242244-E3C2-47E6-8771-1D8EA24E9424.jpeg
    24242244-E3C2-47E6-8771-1D8EA24E9424.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
Yesterday was good to me so I went again. I know, I am a glutton. It was a little slow, but I made my opportunities count with a mixed bag. First pintail of the season too.
Do got a picture of your whole setup? The kayak and then the kayak and bike.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back