Caribou Gear

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I have only been duck hunting about 3 time in last 3 or 4 seasons. I used to be very David but my dog was getting and and did die so I got busy with late season archery deer.
Got a lab pup now I am trying to get ready by winter. He is 7 months old and doing well. Also I didn't draw my Kansas archery tag this year so maybe I can spend December waterfowling.

My only "trick" is quality over quantity in terms of decoys. Which is good because;

1) Where I hunt quantity doesn't seem to do much for you.

2) I don't have to haul so much crap.

So my maximum spread is usually dozen full bodies with flocked heads, + 4-6 floaters, and one spinner.

Having said that my #1 spot has been in a downhill slide for last 10 or so years so might have to try something new this year.
Which flocked head full bodies are you running? Seems silly for me to run nice flocked floaters and then painted full bodies.

Which flocked head full bodies are you running? Seems silly for me to run nice flocked floaters and then painted full bodies.
I have both Higdon(?) and AvianX, I think the Xs look a little better and have a simpler mount. I normally just use ~1/2" (maybe 3/8"?) wooden dowels 2 to 4 feet long, hammered or pushed down into the mud or river sand. The Higdons had a very small diameter hole in the bottom which didn't match my method, I ended up converting them all with pvc piping so they would easily sit on the dowels.

Last edited:
I have both Higdon(?) and AvianX, I think the Xs look a little better and have a simpler mount. I normally just use ~1/2" (maybe 3/8"?) wooden dowels 2 to 4 feet long, hammered or pushed down into the mud or river sand. The Higdons had a very small diameter hole in the bottom which didn't match my method, I ended up converting them all with pvc piping so they would easily sit on the dowels.
Thanks for the insight

About to buy a couple boxes of these. Any suggestions on full body's to match?
Avian x fullbodies 🤣
But also GHG makes good fullbodies. A little smaller but definitely lighter. We like to run at least 2 different brands cuz the GHGs move better in the smaller wind and are a little brighter. The Avian X are definitely bigger and the size difference/body positions makes your spread look a little better in my opinion. We also like to use silhouettes in fields and sheet water

Up here for the month of September, it is brown ducks and lots of mud, so flocked are not very popular.
I do coat my dekes with silicone spray before the opener and that keeps them looking less muddy.
I avoid rectangular shapes like conventional blinds, instead I keep a low profile laying out in a jet sled.

Avian x fullbodies 🤣
But also GHG makes good fullbodies. A little smaller but definitely lighter. We like to run at least 2 different brands cuz the GHGs move better in the smaller wind and are a little brighter. The Avian X are definitely bigger and the size difference/body positions makes your spread look a little better in my opinion. We also like to use silhouettes in fields and sheet water
Guess buy once cry once is the motto....

Up here for the month of September, it is brown ducks and lots of mud, so flocked are not very popular.
I do coat my dekes with silicone spray before the opener and that keeps them looking less muddy.
I avoid rectangular shapes like conventional blinds, instead I keep a low profile laying out in a jet sled.
I do that down here in Nevada as well with my jetsled.

Avian x fullbodies 🤣

These look great. Interesting Avian-X sells these exclusively to Bass Pro/Cabelas

Biggest thing is you need to decide what works for you. I don’t know where you hunt or what your duck population is like. 2 dozen could be perfect or maybe you need 10 dozen? With silos and full bodies sometimes we run 20 dozen
Hunting mostly in Nevada and mostly marsh habitat. I never run more than two dozen here. Sometimes only run six or even less. Duck population isn't huge. If I hop over to the central valley or hunt another state I usually combine decoys with who I'm hunting with.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back