Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Atlantic Salmon in Scotland

jmgraham1986

Hello everyone-
I currently have a family trip planned to Scotland in early September. Who knows on if I'll be able to make it happen with COVID & a possible UK split from the EU. If we can make it happen, I'd love to consider trying to book a guide to fish for Atlantic salmon. The rough outline so far is to start in Glasgow, see lock ness, visit Isle of Skye, check out inverness, perhaps perth, a day in Edinburgh and back to Glasgow to trip home.

I'll take any and all suggestions from the folks who have been there, but I'm really interested fishing recommendations/stories from those who have done it.

Thanks all!
Jon

When I was living/working in Holland a few years ago I did much the same trip you describe (minus Edinburgh) on a long weekend. I spent a day and a half being driven around by a local guide checking out distilleries and some old battlefields (based out of Inverness) and that was worth every penny and then some.

I inquired about fishing also but didn't do it. You could get day passes from the Inverness Angling club (at the time they were about £25/day) for the River Ness in and near town. Believe there was a guide service there in INV also that was relatively reasonable. For some other, more well known rivers and particularly the best beats on those rivers, the prices go quickly to the 'holy sh*t' range.

Either way - it's spectacular country and the Highland culture and history is really interesting.

No direct experience but have always wanted to do that. Check out Sylvester Nemes‘ book Six Months in Scotland. It is an American’s view of salmon fishing there. It is dated but very interesting and detailed. I think it is out of print but you can still find copies.

I've never used them, but you could try:

Best part about Scotland is the people and the right to roam! Being an American I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I could just walk wherever I wanted without trespassing. I only exercised my right to roam once, and I was sure to be very conscientious and respectful of the landowner in how I went about it. It was appreciated, the landowner gave us a friendly wave and went about his business like it was an everyday occurrence.

Atlantic Salmon would be awesome! I hope you can make it happen!

Best part about Scotland is the people and the right to roam! Being an American I had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I could just walk wherever I wanted without trespassing. I only exercised my right to roam once, and I was sure to be very conscientious and respectful of the landowner in how I went about it. It was appreciated, the landowner gave us a friendly wave and went about his business like it was an everyday occurrence.

Atlantic Salmon would be awesome! I hope you can make it happen!
I can relate. I feel like this every time I hunt in Vermont. In that state, if it's not conspicuously posted, you can hunt it. Feels strange and wonderful.

As posted above by donnachaidh. try David if you want stunning scenery around Balmoral castle then here's a place to visit, regards wayne
WZLY1O5.jpg

That will be a fun trip I’ve been to Scotland but didn’t get a chance to fish but definitely a lot to see and do otherwise

I sent a message to him last night, but I've not yet heard anything.

Another question for you folks since ya been there= is going to be a 8 day trip. 4-11 September. We're flying into Glasgow and getting a rental car, the only certains are the first and last nights in Glasgow.

I'm planning on Loch Ness, Inverness & a day or 2 in Edinburgh and hopefully some fishing somewhere in the middle. My question is if the Isle of Skye is necessary for this sort of trip? What does one get on the Isle that you're not going to see in the other parts of the highlands?

Thanks again guys
Jon

If you are looking for a guide I can’t recommend Stewart Collingswood and Alba game fishing Highly enough.
as some people said Scotland has a right to roam law. The flip side of this is that land owners own the game, and big money is paid to have salmon streams. I fished the Spey the last time and loved though two days of fishing did not result in a bite.
mid you want something a little higher odds consider pollack fishing on the coast. It’s a blast!
have fun, and enjoy a wee drammie for us!!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back