MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Rafting the Main Salmon River, Idaho

Baerman

In a couple weeks (end of July) I'll be going on a six day rafting trip down the main fork of the Salmon river. We are putting in at Corn Creek and floating through the Frank Church all the way to Riggins, Idaho. It's my first multi-day rafting trip and I'm looking forward to it! Those who have done this trip and are familiar with the country, is it worth packing a rifle in hopes of seeing a wolf? Have others seen wolves on the river in the summer? Also, any other recommendations as far as hiking, river games, gear or fishing for the trip?

Last edited:
I rafted this section during late July last summer. That time of year it's hot on the river and in the bottom of the canyon. Other than the occasional deer, all big game I saw were way up high (where I assume temps were a bit cooler). So guessing wolves will be in similar locations.

If you have the ability to add a shade canopy to your raft, like a bimini top, I'd recommend it. We just used a big golf umbrella and had it mounted to the frame, even that made a huge difference to keep cool.

Games - bring your favorite beach games. Some camp sites are small but some have big areas with lots of beach space to relax and have fun.

Enjoy the trip.

Sounds like a fun trip. I don't have any advice on hunting from the river in the summer, but curious to hear how the trip goes.

My buddy just finished that reach last week. It'll be hot and there's an active wildfire near Big Mallard rapid. Not sure how that will affect the float.

He was pretty savvy on the water but surprised how technical some of the rapids were. The water is already really low requiring lots of maneuvering through the whitewater around rocks. They watched a couple of boats flip.

The only wildlife they saw was a couple of bears and lots of sheep.

I’ve not floated it but my wife has. From her accounts there are some big dead sections of water that require a lot of rowing especially with afternoon winds blowing up river and she found the fishing to be worse than expected. Scenery though is great

I’ve not floated it but my wife has. From her accounts there are some big dead sections of water that require a lot of rowing especially with afternoon winds blowing up river and she found the fishing to be worse than expected. Scenery though is great
I've been told there is a lot of flat water so I'm bringing paddle boards for my son and his buddies to play on. Nobody has ever said much about fishing so I figured it's mostly a scenic trip. regardless, there is time to kill so I'll cast a line and take in the scenery. Hopefully I can find a good hike or two at some of the camp spots. Maybe I'll leave the rifle at home. Doesn't sound like it's worth risking my rifle taking a bath for a long shot at seeing a wolf.

My friends just got off the river and they have some pretty epic photos of the forest fire raging right across the river from their camp.
I bet they do. I expect the Dixie fire will jump the river very soon.

I’ve only done one multi day rafting trip, can’t remember which stretch we did. But damn was it FUN, you’re gonna have a blast. Personally, I would skip the rifle but I would fish for sure. Good timing with these temps, have fun.

Sounds like a great time, I've never rafted that portion of the Salmon, but by all accounts it should be awesome. I'm headed into the Frank this week to fish some mtn lakes, I was trying to decide on bringing my rifle or not, my luck if I bring a gun I won't see anything and if I don't I'm sure I will. Have fun on your trip!

Sounds like a great time, I've never rafted that portion of the Salmon, but by all accounts it should be awesome. I'm headed into the Frank this week to fish some mtn lakes, I was trying to decide on bringing my rifle or not, my luck if I bring a gun I won't see anything and if I don't I'm sure I will. Have fun on your trip!
Isn't that always the case! I'm now leaving rifle at home but will send pic's of wolf across river from camp, almost guaranteed.

Have fun! The Main is a great river trip. If you like fishing I'd bring a pole for smallmouth, my friend caught quite a few with a spincasting setup, especially the lower you get. The bigger side streams can be good for trout, but at that time of year might be really low water and may not be as good. I've seen a wolf on the Main, quite a few years ago, I wouldn't bother with a rifle though, pretty unlikely. Hopefully the fire moves up and away from the river by the time you get there.

Stop at Buckskin Bill's and get a Black Butte Porter Ice Cream Float!

Here's a pic of a black fox we saw one year. She had a couple black kits too.
black fox.jpg

Back from the trip, it was a blast. I didn't fish too much as I was busy taking in the scenery, swimming and just hanging out with everyone in our group. A lot more flat water than I imagined. The history might have been the best part. Everything from meeting the folks who are care takers for Yellow Pine Bar and learning how they subsist (they haven't been into any town since Sept. 2019), to Buckskin Bills, to Polly Bemis an old slave who was won by Charlie Bemis in while gambling. Tough living in those parts has me daydreaming of how I could do that in todays world.

Back from the trip, it was a blast. I didn't fish too much as I was busy taking in the scenery, swimming and just hanging out with everyone in our group. A lot more flat water than I imagined. The history might have been the best part. Everything from meeting the folks who are care takers for Yellow Pine Bar and learning how they subsist (they haven't been into any town since Sept. 2019), to Buckskin Bills, to Polly Bemis an old slave who was won by Charlie Bemis in while gambling. Tough living in those parts has me daydreaming of how I could do that in todays world.
Does it seem like the elk come down and winter in the canyon? I’m curious to try to hunt the north side of the river in early November.

Back