At what age would you start your child?

Griggs

Hunting that is. I grew up hunting, since it was a way of life for us from when I was born. It was literally how we got our meat all year long, there wasn't really another feasible way. All supplies had to be ordered annually and they came on the barge with the icebreaker in the summer.

NL3FNTr.jpg

I started shooting when I was 4, hunting not long after (rabbits to start).

qAsIJjp.jpg

tqdD0t4.jpg

My Dad with one of the caribou.

zWbW5Oz.jpg

WUyIMNO.jpg

fNGZUlo.jpg

I did my part to help, which wasn't usually much.

My son has now expressed an interest, and he's 4.

tr2B86g.jpg

I know the whole base it off them, etc. I may start breaking him in more, he already helps clean the deer, elk, rabbits, etc. But at what age did you start, and what age did you start your kids at?

My hunting is now vastly different as an adult in AZ....

My dad got me started at 8 years old with actually shooting and going on hunts with him. Before that he would take me along on scouting trips and hanging treestands and what not.

My daughter now 17 started tagging along with me on turkey hunts at age 5. She was taking a .410 at age 8. Wasn't able to connect on first turkey until age 10 at which age she killed her first deer. My son is 6 and he was lying in a lay out blind on duck hunts at age 5. He tags along on the trap line. I let him dispatch a bobcat this year. I'm hoping he will be able to be efficient with the .410 this year for turkey hunting. The main thing I worry about at an early age is if he kills a turkey at age 6 is will that "spoil" him? Will it take away some meaning of success at a later age?

The main thing I worry about at an early age is if he kills a turkey at age 6 is will that "spoil" him? Will it take away some meaning of success at a later age?
I wonder the same thing as I'm impatiently anticipating taking my little guy out in the future.

You called it right, know your child and base if on their maturity. As far as early success having an affect on them, I have my doubts. My younger son got a buck last year at ten that will likely rank in his best bucks for the rest of his life. Quite possibly the best that will ever be taken on our farm. I worried he would loose intereat or get frustrated this year as big bucks are not an every year thing. I can honestly say he had not changed a bit. He was just as gung ho as before.

Get em out as early as their maturity allows before other things become more important and they lose interest.

I would take them as much as their interest allows.

I have girls, and their interest is limited. We've always included them in year-round outdoor activities, hiking, camping, checking trail cams, etc. Once they each got to about 4 or 5 I started bringing them along on easy, comfortable hunts; sunny day squirrel hunting, heated blind whitetail hunts, etc. If I'm alone and get a deer down, I'll often enlist them to help me "find" it and dress/retrieve it from the field. Now with one 10 years old and the other 7, their tolerance seems to be about one 2-3 hour hunt every week or two during season.

I don't know if they'll develop a true love for it or not, but they will grow up understanding that this is where our meat comes from, and that the opportunity to go is always available to them. My main fear is that I'll try to force them into it and that they'll develop an aversion to the long slow periods, cold, discomfort, etc.

Great photos! My father started bringing me along when I was 5 and I will do the same with my son.

I believe it’s all dependent on the child. My son wasn’t proficient until 10, daughter at 8, grandson at 6 (plenty of pics n stories w him in the deer section) I got my first deer at 5. But all of them have been going w me since they were in diapers.
I do realize it’s a different world here in Texas; a lot more controlled situations, w hunting stands n all.

As far as a love for it, they all do. And for the slow periods; again in Texas w a hunting blind, I bring coloring books, snacks, etc. my mother’s blind still has drawings from me when I was a child on it, along w tick tack toe n hang man games we used to play when I was little!!!

My interest started when I was a toddler and Dad had 2 Does hanging from the garage rafters opening morning.54yrs. later and my interest still grows with every day that passes.:cool:

My daughter killed her first buck with a rifle when she was 7 and her first buck with a crossbow when she was 8. I think its easier to find the time when they are younger. The older she gets 14 now there just always seems to be something going on.

When your gut tells you. Each kid is different. My kids started plinking with .22's and tagging along with me at about 7, but I generally only hunt big game and the walking can be a little much around here for when they're super little. CO let's them actually hunt big game at age 12. If we had opportunities to hunt from a blind or anything more kid-friendly, I would have preferred sooner. But 11-12 was about right for tromping around the OTC public land we hunt elk and deer on toting a substantial rifle. Just don't make them miserable or it will be an uphill battle getting them back out. Good luck.

I started taking my kids with me before age 5 on “easy” hunts...squirrel and some easy deer hunts. Made it fun...didn’t worry about harvesting. They mostly enjoyed the thermos of hot chocolate and the snacks. My two oldest killed their first deer at 6 and 8...has not hurt their enthusiasm for hunting at all, and they deal with a lack of success in a great way (probably better than me 😂). My 3rd kiddo killed his first deer last year at 10. All 3 of my older kids love getting out now...we’ll see what happens with the youngest, she’s only 1...

My dad started taking me along on deer hunts when I was 2. As far as spoiling your kids he was pretty careful about that. We used to go to Texas every year when I was younger and could have easily shot a giant every year. He only let me shoot management bucks and does, which I was ecstatic about. As long as I was out in the field I was happy. This year we are heading to Illinois on a bow/gun combo hunt for my graduation gift from college... so I guess he isn't worried about spoiling me anymore haha.

I'm hoping to take my oldest out turkey hunting next year when she is 12. I'm not sure she will enjoy shooting a shotgun, so I'll have to get her out to a range in the fall to get her used to that. Both she and her sister (8) are interested in hunting and they always want to see the birds and animals I bring home. So I feel like I have laid the groundwork well enough.

I wouldn't worry about them being "spoiled" at a young age and then losing interest. If anything I feel like it will teach them to be a more mature hunter earlier than normal. In Wyoming we can't hunt big game till 12. My first year hunting I shot an antelope, deer, and elk. Since then I've shot some smaller and some bigger but I have never lost interest in it. In fact I'm fanatical about hunting and being outdoors. I do think its important for anyone new to hunting though to see the hardships of hunting and that its not all about just filling a tag like we see a lot today on social media. Teach them the tradition of hunting and they'll fall in love with it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back