asking for your opinion

mossyoakmn

Hi all this is my 1st time here,& I have some ?'s for you all

I shoot 70-73pds pull, my arrow is CX300 & 27.75 long w/o tip, I've shot so far using a 100gr tip w/spitfires mech. BH & the total weight for the arrow w/tip is 370 +/- couple grams

most shots I taking have been 20 yards & under with no problems using mech.BH, but now I've been thinking about KE at 30 yards+ & the effectiveness of using a mech. BH w/my setup

I chronoed my bow, & using the 100gr tip it was 240-251FPS (big range but 2 different chrono's)
then I put on a 125gr tip & it was 240-246FPS

my FOC w/100gr tip is 12.2% (17.25" balance from nock)
my FOC w/125gr tip is 14.9% (18" balance from nock)

KE for 370gr arrow at 240FPS (I'll use 240fps for both since both tips did chrono in at that fps) the KE would be at least 47KE
now with the 125gr tip=395gr at 240fps would be 50KE & for I.E. say the fps dropped to 230fps with 395gr the KE would be 46KE

is this FOC to high?, but also read somewhere carbons can sometimes have high FOC.
is the arrow to light ? but then again IBO is 350gr arrow.
should I go to the 125gr tip or keep with my 100gr tip?
as for KE I might be assuming thats low for mech.BH at farther ranges?
now what would be the minium KE you would go hunting with for black bear (& yes my gut says go with cut on contact fixed BH)

mossy

why do you want to go to 125gr? I shot my first to elk with a 75gr fixed BH and they didn't go More then 50 yrd the first I shot at 40 yrd the second I shot at 30 yrd. The big thing is what are you hunting? Its all about shot placement..

KE, what is KE?;)
Your set up sounds like it will easily kill any black bear out there if you put the arrow where it belongs.

Idaho has a minimum of 400 grains of arrow, so my hunting arrows are right at 426 grains. What type of bow are you shooting 240 fps with 370 grain arrow at 73 pds seems pretty slow to me. As long as your arrows fly good, I don't think FOC is a big factor, I know alot of guys that like there broadhead arrows being 12% or more, all my arrows hunting and 3D come in around 10% and they fly great. So are you worried about not having enough KE for the mechanical to preform well or what? We can't use mechanicals here, I don't think I would anyways, they make so many good fixed blade broadheads anymore that fly like feild points I don't see any big advantages in mechanicals anymore excpept maybe cutting width but I have never had a problem with drawing blood. I would'nt really worry to much about the technical crap as long as your arrows fly and group well, go hunting and only take shots your confident with and you can't go wrong.

gatoman- MN does not have a minimum arrow weight, instead has a minimum poundage draw weight (& I'm well past that since for big game minimum 40pds)
& as for my bow shoots slow, yes it kinda does, sorry I couldn't afford the newest-fastest-lightest-up to date bow. but I'm still shooting faster than other archers (recurve,longbow,other lower fps compounds & they still hunt with no problem)

the fixed BH I'm looking at are only 3 of them
1st is the G5 Montec
2nd is the Nap Crossfire, but not cut on contact, but well built BH
3rd is a tie Slick Tricks & Rocket Aeroheads-rocket ultimate steel. but both of these have smaller cutting Dia. than the other two& not cut on contact. which I'd pick 1 of these ONLY for some reason the G5 or Crossfire dont fly/tune well

I can recommend Slick Tricks. They are a very forgiving broadhead and fly like field points even if your bow is not tuned. I know that from experience. When I put a Trap Door rest on my Reflex it didn't fit right when I first set it up, needed to elongate the mounting hole and make an additional adapter plate. Anyway, I shot field points and ST's in nice tight groups and when I tried a Muzzy the arrows hit 18 inches right. I eventually got everything right on my bow, but that test with ST's & Muzzy's convinced me. Another good one is Rocky Mtn Turbo's, they have blades that you can mount in a helical pattern. My archery partner shoots them and has nothing but praise for them.

They are pretty easy to sharpen too. I made a 6 inch handle from the front of an old arrow, screw in the bh and sharpen on a 1 inch wide diamond hone or stone.

I shoot the rocket ultimate steel 100's last yr, they fly very well but there not strongly built, wasp makes a couple nice heads in FB, I'm trying the bullet model next. Muzzy has a new head out also which has a shorter furrel that should shoot well also.

That G5 fly nice my buddy has them and did not have to do anything they fly just like a FP. I think you would be fine with 100gr you are not gaining that much KE with 125gr and you will shoot slower.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back