Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I am not familiar with the ocean basemap in the prior version. But in the current release if you go to Map Layers>Nationwide Layers>Water (scroll to bottom of nationwide layers sheet) there is an option for Nautical Charts that'll give you some info.

Just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with onXmaps - I am just an obsessive and self-guided tester/user. I am paying close attention to the onX threads on this and other forums because I am concerned about some of the functionality in the current release and am tracking issues and their response closely. I am chiming in here to simply give a hand when I can as I assume onX personnel have their hands full at present.

I'll try to get you a photo of the old ocean base map. I didn't upgrade my old iPad so I could still view it.

I can only get the baselayers to save - not the trails, private lands, etc. They go away when I go to airplane mode (yes they are turned on, and I saved the map with them on). I have an iPhone 5c.

Android version 4.0.1 worked on my device- tracks and waypoints seem to all be there. Was able to download the 5 mile Hi-res maps for the 3 areas I will be hunting this fall- THANKS onX for the update to the update ;)!!!!

I'm having same issue as others. I save a map with all the layers I prefer & when I go to off line maps there is no private property delineation.

After a fair bit of use the last two days I'll share my compliments, and also echo some of the concerns I see here.

-The UI is fantastic. Much more intuitive and functional.
-The Hybrid map is one of the best I've seen.
-The process to save Offline maps is a great improvement.
-The PC online viewer is much more functional and better mirrors the mobile UI.
-The Roadless Heat Map, Historic Forest Fire, and Timber Cut layers are fantastic.

Now my concerns.

-The Offline Maps are nearly unusable in current form. The ability to adjust and show/hide layers is the major reason I purchase the app every year. If I don't have that ability I really don't know if I need the software. I hunt in places where I don't get service! The software needs to be at it's best in Offline mode. I don't buy the app for use from home.

-The available topo map is inferior to the USA Topo available in the previous version. The shaded relief is far too subtle, making it difficult to read when zoomed out at all. Elevation labels are too few. Forest/open shading is not available. I'd prefer a topo much more like the USGS Quads.

Last edited:
Trying to answer a couple things here, if I missed yours post it up again.

Block Management Areas for MT are released around August 15th, we usually get the update out in 1-2 days.

Yes, I'm working on getting the default view set to Aerial Imagery for Web Map.

RobG and MThillrunner, could you test again on your phones, Can you send some screenshots to [email protected] of the layers on while online, you saving the map, then in offline mode with them not loading. I'd like to get that info.

Currently when you save a map it will save the layers/transparency you have set. We are working on being able to change layers on/off and transparancy while in saved maps mode. We needed to get this thing out the door and start working on any bugs before the majority of seasons start so the experience is the best it can be for offline use. We will be dialing those features in over the next month as well for customizing in offline mode.

FYI the new 4.0.1 versions for Android and iOS were released yesterday. Also google stopped throttling our servers while saving a map!!

We would really like to. If land onwership and only public lands were available to start would you still use it?

Thanks for the support onXmaps. Guys I'd like to point out that software development takes time and nothing ever ships 100% bug free. The constructive feedback we provide will help make the product better.

Currently when you save a map it will save the layers/transparency you have set. We are working on being able to change layers on/off and transparancy while in saved maps mode. We needed to get this thing out the door and start working on any bugs before the majority of seasons start so the experience is the best it can be for offline use. We will be dialing those features in over the next month as well for customizing in offline mode.

FYI the new 4.0.1 versions for Android and iOS were released yesterday. Also google stopped throttling our servers while saving a map!!

When you release a new version that you know has certain usability limitations, telling users up front will smooth rollout. If I knew that you knew that you couldn't manage layers in offline mode, and that you were working on adding that functionality, I would've had no complaints about the new version...only a couple suggestions for usability improvements (I've shared these with your support staff and one of your engineers).

Thank you for letting us know now, the new UI is really awesome and I look forward to the coming added functionality!

I have found that the saving of offline maps is very glitchy. The maps fail to save roughly 75% of the time. This is especially the case if the new map I am saving overlaps slightly with a map I have already saved.

In general, I like the changes to the app, but there is clearly an issue with the offline maps feature.

I'm having the same issues.

Not sure if this is associated with the roll out but I purchased a chip and got a shipping notification for New Mexico.

Is there something I need to do to activate my 1 year membership that comes with the chip? Or should that be automatic?

So, for the 3rd time I downloaded a map. This time(about 10am this morning), it worked perfect. I've not had issues with downloading maps, they just didn't have any layers on them. This morning, they have all the info I intended including land ownership. I did lose a cpl waypoints in the upgrade, but I know where they are on the map so not a big deal to me. Kudos to you guys for getting this and other issues fixed in a timely manner. As a side note, the upload of maps this morning seems to be at a faster rate than previous attempts.

Robie, Did you order a New Mexico chip? The App membership code will come in the packaging.

mthillrunner, good to hear about the saved maps working. Thanks Google!

Am I understanding that you have to reselect all my prior offline maps? Or is there a simple solution to access all my saved offline maps from the prior version and simply push re-download saved maps?

I upgraded to the 4.0.1 and now the offline maps download just fine. Unfortunately every time I hit go offline to test them the app freezes then closes. Literally every single time.

Bowhuntmontana,

We worked diligently this year to improve our save maps functionality. You can now save a larger area much faster, with all three basemaps.

Make sure you have the most updated App and see what you think. We would love to hear your feedback!

Thank you. I will be doing that. Love the product. If this frustration is resolved you will have at least one very happy customer.

Does the new app work with IPhones? I had issues with the previous app being dark w/o internet access.

Quick updates:

Yes, for offline maps you will have to save all maps again. With the new basemaps offered, different sizes, new layers we could not carry over old maps. There was an email that went to all customers with the expected changes and what to do but I know that not everybody reads those anymore with the amount of junk we all get.

Yes the new app does work with iOS.

If you have a bug in the app please report it here. We would need to know if you are on iOS or Android, what version of the App you are in, and any other info such as a screenshot or description.

If you lost any content please Direct Message us your email, ios/android, if you lost all or some data, if some during what time frame, were you offline when the date you made was lost, have you gotten a new phone in last year. Some of that info will help us track it down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back